Your favourite guitar solo and the best guitarrist

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Andy LaRocque aka Anders Allhage
Enforcer

Post by Enforcer »

Marty Friedman of Megadeth. What a feeling for the melodies and rythms. His solos sounds so well composed in every detail and sounds just as any classical piece written centuries ago. Just listen to the solo in Killing Road and you see what I mean or try to play the solo in Hangar 18. He truely is a great guitarist even though he doesn't play as fast as Michael Angelo, Yngwie or others mentioned in this thread.

Favourite Solo?
Killing Road, Captive Honour and Tornado of Souls
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

Bill Tsamis of the mighty Warlord is my man. Every single note coming from his hands is utterly divine. Always precise and meaningful, it does good things for my heart and soul. What more can I ask of a musician?

I am not a quitarist and solos are not really my thing but I'll be damned for eternity if I don't mention the stellar quitarwork on Stargazer and A Light In The Black.
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
Helm

Post by Helm »

I'll have to go with Rock - Mcalpine from Psychotic Waltz for most awesome all-around guitar duo. Telepathy and Power!

I'm personally very influenced by Robert Fripp.

And Bill Tsamis is also my favourite single guitarist in a Heavy Metal band. He has been given the guitar by the Almighty Father Himself to let him spread the message of repentance and righteous retribution. Behold the Archangel Michael, sword in hand, he leads the Lordian Guard to slay, to damn. Cast out the legions forever, to the infernal realm

From heaven to hell.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Will post some of mine later ,but meanwhile I'll deal with this drunken Swedish meatball...:lol:
DaN wrote:Strange. The one (?) thing typically Metal that I never cared much about is guitar solos. Solos = jazz / Riffing = Metal. Will develop this thesis further when sober..
Dan ,trust me if they weren't there you'd miss them -think about what some of your favourite records would sound like without them....deep down you know I'm right.... :wink:
Crimson Angel

Post by Crimson Angel »

Thunderway - The Order Executors
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

EDDIE VAN HALEN - every solo!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALEX LIFESON - guitar tone!!!!!!

PIGGY - riff-god!!!!!!!!!!!

RANDY RHODES - legend!!!!!!!!

CRISS OLIVA - unique :cry: !!!!!!!!!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

mordred wrote:But a great solo can be pure heaven if you have a great guitar player who actually writes great solos with melody and structure that are a part of the song and not just some noise that we would have been better off without thrown upon the song.
Yes, very much so! I agree, and these are the kinda solos I most enjoy.

But I do also like the 'over-the-top' solos for no reason, the Trey Azagthoth type on the early MA albums, if you know what I mean?!
peavy

Post by peavy »

Ebony_Eyes wrote:YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
same here! :)

One of the best solos I've heard is the one Victor Smolski plays in the "Great Old Ones" song by Rage!! Definitely unique sounding!!! Smolski is one of the best musicians ever!
Popa_Iuda

Post by Popa_Iuda »

My fav guitar solo is the one from Beyond The Realms Of Death (actually both of them, but the first is absolutelly shattering...Tipton trademark). No guitarists in metal can do solos like they did.

Then comes:

Helstar - Winds of war
Witchcross - Axe Dance
Satan - Break Free
Mandator - Black Rose
Manilla Road - Necropolis
Heir Apparent - Keepers Of The Reign
Xipe - Fly Of The Phoenix
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven (the live version from The Song Remains The Same 1976)

and many many more

Guitarists :

Tipton
Denner
Shelton
Thorpe
Page
etc
acid

Post by acid »

My fave guitarist is Iommi, and his best solo's (well, my opinion) are on "Glory Ride" (!!!) and "Mob Rules" ... I like all of his riffs, solo's...

Of course I like a lot, lot, lot^3 more guitarists, but Iommi was the first to play that heavy.
Geen gezeik, ik heb gelijk.
sabbat666

Post by sabbat666 »

Excuriver - Say Goodbye
Ebony Eyes - Final Fight
X - Silent Jealousy
Poison Arts - Hot Rod
Rommel - Night Hawk
Gargoyle - Destroy, Jaaku, Hunting Days
Mein Kampf - Speeder!!
Precious - Crazy for Your Love
Crowley - In Despair
Gastunk - The Eyes

My all time favorite guitarist is Hisashi Takai (X, Rommel, Emperor, Gyorai etc)
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

There are too many to mention but as of recently one of my favorites is Hisashi Takai, aka Jun or Shu from Rommel, X, Sqwier, Gyoari, Emperor, and solo works.

My favorite solo from him is from WAR MACHINE...ROMMEL from the second Rommel demo, the 2nd half of the song is one of the best guitar solos ive heard in a long time!

Also another one of my favorites is of course Izumi from AION....actually his solo's are usually not that great but he definatley writes interesting riffs, not just the same old power chord stuff that a lot of thrash bands use. I think his best solo is Elegant Fear from the ABSOLUTE CD.

She-Ja from Gargoyle and Volcano is also amazing, pretty much EVERYTHING he has done is awesome, if I had to pick I would say the solo from DESTROY by Gargoyle is the best
sabbat666

Post by sabbat666 »

yeah Izumi isnt much of a soloist ( especially in the shred department. though he never stops trying lol) but he can write some good riffs.

i kinda find it funny that Izumi was Sheja's idol guitarist and Sheja totally became twice the guitarist Izumi is.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Crows In Black wrote:My favorite solo from him is from WAR MACHINE...ROMMEL from the second Rommel demo, the 2nd half of the song is one of the best guitar solos ive heard in a long time!
I totally agree with you, the solo is great!
Crows In Black wrote:She-Ja from Gargoyle and Volcano is also amazing

She-Ja's one of my favorite guitarists from Japan also and I love his work on Stand Proud ~ All For Heavy Metal!

But I've never liked post-deathrash bound AION (with the possible exception of MA-G-MA song)

Sabbat666 whichone played the solo for SPEEDER, Kerry or Izumi?

Edit: Back to the topic - I really can't say nothing yet because solos are my soft point so I have to think really hard about this. But when it comes to the memorable guitars Gotham City's Mårten Edlund, Deep Switch's Reverend Nice.. And Ebony Eyes guitars on Final Fight album!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance