US/CAN - metal 7"s

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

US/CAN - metal 7"s

Post by The Sentinel »

I'm trying to complete the 80's US - scene as much as I can and therefore I need to get more info about those obscure 7"s. I'm already familiar with Deuce, Minotaur (can) and Avatar, but I don't know if the following ones are really recommendable:

Lord Ryur: Pact With The Sinner 7": according to the Metalpage this one is only released in a quantity of 100, so getting the Solar Eagle mlp is more likely I guess. It seems to be excellent.

Myth: Metal to the pedal 7"

Nightchild: Remember the faithful 7"

Stonehenge: Catz eyes 7"

Siren: Terrible Swift Sword 7"

Violation: Meet Me At Midnight 7"

Well, let's sum up more of these, so we can have a good overview of what is crap and what is worth getting. There isn't any good reading material about those 7"s. The Metalpage sums up a few but that's it and the US-metal series only mentions a few.
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The LORD RUYR 7" is bloody awesome and VIOLATION is pretty darn tasty as well. I'm not sure about the other ones. I do have a bunch or really rare US 7"s on CDR, but I haven't listen much to them in a while. I'll get back to this thread when I have.

Some faves would include ANVIL CHORUS, JONAS GRUMBY, FINAL ASSAULT, both JAGGED EDGE etc...

Great subject btw. There should be hundreds of unknown titles out there to discover!
Lindell

Post by Lindell »

I agree with DaN on LORD RYUR and VIOLATION. Apart from those two the only one I have heard from that list is MYTH and that one is great as well. LORD RYUR is my favourite out of those anyway.

Send me a PM if you need the 3 mentioned (+ COMMANDMENT, JONAS GRUMBY and some more) on cd-r.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

LORD RYUR RIPS AND KILLS!!! Raw epic power metal with a brilliant combination of harsh and melodic vocals. Great, GREAT,GREAT!!!! Band is from Canada i think. Anyone familiar with any demo recordings?

I don't remember shit about NIGHTCHILD and VIOLATION though i have heard them. MYTH were pretty cool, i don't know if its worth as much as its supposed to but it's good. SIREN is worth a listen, i'm not a big fan of their LP, have to hear it again i guess.

STONEHEDGE has been on my wantlist for a very long time. Don't have a clue what it sounds like.

Some other US 7" :

STRYCHNINE - No escape/Live or die: Power metal that's close to early MAIDEN. Harsh vocals, some may call it great, i personally find it very good.

SNOWHITE : This one's a 12'' but it fuckin' great! Especially ''New Messiah''!

REX VECTOR - Breathe fire/Sit tight. ''Breathe fire'' is awesome, powerful and very street-sounding. It would be better if ''Sit tight'' was called ''Shit tight''

HADES - The cross/Widow's mine. KILLER!That's the real HADES! Solid crushing metal!

SASHAY - Looking for some action/Together: Excellent cathcy metal.

BANSHEE - Breakdown/I'm the light: Canadian band. A metal monster! The best 7'' from USA/CAN. Original and very inspired metal! HAIL!!!

There are tons more which are either crappy or average. I can't recall all of them right now: VON DYMON (Crap), CHINA WHITE (overrated), LUCRECIA ( that's more dark wave to my ears), CZAR, DRUID (criminally overrated!), MAELSTORM, ANTIX, BURNING IMAGE, JAGGED EDGE, RESLESS...
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

not sure how obscure these bands are I have vinyl rips of all these

Attakk
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=34636
I have mp3's available if you haven't already heard it.

Argus(US)
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=35465

Aftermath

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=14142

I'm sure you already know stygian shore if you know manilla road.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Lindell wrote: Send me a PM if you need the 3 mentioned (+ COMMANDMENT, JONAS GRUMBY and some more) on cd-r.
PM sent!

That's quite a lot already, thanks. Some of the mentioned do ring a bell like Jonas Grumby, Rex Vector and that Hades 7"

Keep them coming... 8)
Long Live The Loud !!!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Ryacus wrote:not sure how obscure these bands are I have vinyl rips of all these

Attakk
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=34636
I have mp3's available if you haven't already heard it.

Argus(US)
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=35465

Aftermath

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=14142

I'm sure you already know stygian shore if you know manilla road.
The metal-archives site crashes always when I want to open it, damn :evil: It seems they cannot handle the enormous database...

Yes, that Stygian Shore is great. It's the type of US-metal I like very much.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Enforcer

Re: US - metal 7"s

Post by Enforcer »

here's a few that I like. don't know if there are 7" or 12" though.

militia - the sybling - awesome speed metal where mike soliz started his career

znöwhite - kick 'em when they're down - have not heard much of this band, the vocalist sounds like a girl, but hell, this rocks!

wyzard - knights of metal - what can I say? brilliant texas speed metal!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Enforcer wrote:here's a few that I like. don't know if there are 7" or 12" though.

militia - the sybling - awesome speed metal where mike soliz started his career

znöwhite - kick 'em when they're down - have not heard much of this band, the vocalist sounds like a girl, but hell, this rocks!

They're all 12"s and great ones at that (except for WYZARD). The ZNÖWHITE vocalist sounds like a girl because she is one :wink:
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Enforcer wrote:
Uhmmm, i don't know...i like this record very much, but speed metal? I'd rather describe it as epic heavy metal with a very primitive feel probably because of the weird production. Travels you back in times when steel ruled the earth...
Stark

More stuff...

Post by Stark »

The Violation 7" kicks ass! Very Y&T:ish, which may be because Leonard Haze has produced it. I have a copy if you need a scan.

I also have (or at least I had) a yellow flexi-disc with Znöwhite, plus:
Zoetrope - "The Right Way" (7")
Argus - s/t (12")
Haven - s/t (12")
Jag Panzer - s7T (12")
Razor - "Up In The Air" (7") (1980, maybe too early)
Slayer - "Prepare To Die" (12")

Just let me know if you want more info.
/J
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
DaN
Administructor

Re: More stuff...

Post by DaN »

Stark wrote:The Violation 7" kicks ass! Very Y&T:ish, which may be because Leonard Haze has produced it. I have a copy if you need a scan.

Argus - s/t (12")
Haven - s/t (12")
Jag Panzer - s7T (12")

/J
ARGUS and SLAYER(SA) are killer classics! Is ZOETROPE a different band from those who recorded a couple of Thrash LPs in the later 80s? That RAZOR 7" sounds interesting. Never heard of a 'US Razor'.

It's funny how few HM/HR 7"s you find from the US, while the UK had hundreds. Some early US 7" faves would be HADES (2 first), JAGGED EDGE and ANVIL CHORUS.
Stark

Zoe

Post by Stark »

Yes, it's the same Zoetrope. The single is not as "metal" as the album, but it's pretty good! I used to correspond with Barry Stern (who later went to Trouble).
I can burn them for you.

Jagged Edge was from the UK, if it's not a different band. Matti Alfonzetti sang on their album.

Yes, the Swedish and UK scene was quite flooded with cool 7"s in the 80s while the US was sort of quiet.
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
Ryacus

Re: More stuff...

Post by Ryacus »

DaN wrote:
Stark wrote:The Violation 7" kicks ass! Very Y&T:ish, which may be because Leonard Haze has produced it. I have a copy if you need a scan.

Argus - s/t (12")
Haven - s/t (12")
Jag Panzer - s7T (12")

/J
ARGUS and SLAYER(SA) are killer classics! Is ZOETROPE a different band from those who recorded a couple of Thrash LPs in the later 80s? That RAZOR 7" sounds interesting. Never heard of a 'US Razor'.

It's funny how few HM/HR 7"s you find from the US, while the UK had hundreds. Some early US 7" faves would be HADES (2 first), JAGGED EDGE and ANVIL CHORUS.
The UK has always been more keen on releasing singles and american bands usually had more demos and EP's until the 90's when everybody started doing that more often.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I can only join in the praise of the mighty LORD RYUR! It slays! But weren't they from Canada?
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D