Bands everyone loves but you hate

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

Never liked Iced earth or Gamma ray.
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

reindeerattack666 wrote:My tastes lean toward the epic -- old school power metal, epic heavy metal, epic doom, and power/thrash. I like a fair number of black metal bands, but they also tend to be epic sounding (e.g., early Abigor, later Immortal, Dissection, Belenos), and bear little resemblance to 80s black metal. At any rate, here are some bands that I SHOULD like, given my tastes, but don't.

Grave Digger, Omen, Ironsword, Rebellion, Battlerage -- I can't stand the low-register gruff vocal style of these three bands. I generally dislike low-pitched vocals in metal, clean or harsh. (I hate death metal vocals but am fine with black metal vocals, so go figure.)
Although I really don't want to get into this discussion again as it's been had here already in the past, the question is begging to be asked and that's what do you define as "epic"?

This isn't really a genre categorizing factor and is more a matter of opinion.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

AndyWhite wrote:Tyrant (us)
(Sorry ION). I can't stand the random falsetto screams, and the production and playing sounds so sloppy.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Persian Risk - Rise Up LP
reindeerattack666

Post by reindeerattack666 »

Avenger wrote: Although I really don't want to get into this discussion again as it's been had here already in the past, the question is begging to be asked and that's what do you define as "epic"?
I'm not a musician, so I can't really give you a technical explanation, but I'd say an epic song has a grandiose atmosphere, often using interludes, transitions and buildups to contrast with louder or more aggressive sections.

Here is a good example of an "epic black metal" song by my favorite (and probably most unrecognized and underrated) black metal band, Belenos (from France): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNibMWv5pc (Anybody who thinks second-wave black metal is a total ripoff of Celtic Frost and Bathory should listen to this to be proven wrong.)

Dissection's "Night's Blood" and Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" title track are also really good examples.

In contrast, none of the songs off of Darkthrone's "Transilvanian Hunger" would be considered epic, as they are basically just three minute verse-chorus-verse punk songs with black metal vocals. Also, all of songs on Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" other than the title track and "A Fine Day to Die" would not be epic. (Those two songs are indeed the only pre-Viking Bathory songs that I actually find interesting and listen to regularly.)

As far as traditional metal goes, Iron Maiden's "Powerslave", "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Moonchild" are more epic sounding that "Aces High". On the whole though, Iron Maiden -- as a band -- are more epic sounding than Judas Priest or Motorhead (one of the reasons why I like Maiden much more than those two bands)

So I used a lot of examples and only one definition. I'm not sure I answered the question...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

post-heavy metal Motley Crue
Raven

Post by Raven »

maybe no many love these but, I hate enough:

Napalm death - Scum ecc.
Carcass - Symphonies of sickness ecc,

and whole grindcore style that have erased the classic thrash that I loved in the 80'.
May the Lords of light be with you
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

arghhh

The early ND/Carcass albums are pure genius.

So sad you don't like that.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

reindeerattack666 wrote:
Avenger wrote: Although I really don't want to get into this discussion again as it's been had here already in the past, the question is begging to be asked and that's what do you define as "epic"?
I'm not a musician, so I can't really give you a technical explanation, but I'd say an epic song has a grandiose atmosphere, often using interludes, transitions and buildups to contrast with louder or more aggressive sections.

Here is a good example of an "epic black metal" song by my favorite (and probably most unrecognized and underrated) black metal band, Belenos (from France): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNibMWv5pc (Anybody who thinks second-wave black metal is a total ripoff of Celtic Frost and Bathory should listen to this to be proven wrong.)

Dissection's "Night's Blood" and Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" title track are also really good examples.

In contrast, none of the songs off of Darkthrone's "Transilvanian Hunger" would be considered epic, as they are basically just three minute verse-chorus-verse punk songs with black metal vocals. Also, all of songs on Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" other than the title track and "A Fine Day to Die" would not be epic. (Those two songs are indeed the only pre-Viking Bathory songs that I actually find interesting and listen to regularly.)

As far as traditional metal goes, Iron Maiden's "Powerslave", "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Moonchild" are more epic sounding that "Aces High". On the whole though, Iron Maiden -- as a band -- are more epic sounding than Judas Priest or Motorhead (one of the reasons why I like Maiden much more than those two bands)

So I used a lot of examples and only one definition. I'm not sure I answered the question...
Do you have a more relevant example of what you define as "epic"? Black Metal is quite off-topic in this forum... The reason I am asking is because you claim to like Metal more on the "epic" side of things and then go on to say that you don't like Omen but do like Abattoir. Again, the "epic" quality is largely based on opinion but from what I've often seen described in many reviews and by many different people is that Omen is quite epic and Abattoir really isn't. This leads me to see contradictions in what you claim are your tastes. I understand tastes are tastes and an argument based on this is pointless but your description of what you like doesn't make sense.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DeathStrike Kömmander

Post by DeathStrike Kömmander »

Municipal Waste (They really suck)

Violator (Overrated)
DeathStrike Kömmander

Post by DeathStrike Kömmander »

reindeerattack666 wrote:

I think Judas Priest and Motörhead are better than Iron Maiden, IM have some good releases, althought for me, they're so f****** overrated
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

There's no such thing as overrated.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:There's no such thing as overrated.
11/10 is. :P

Does anyone actually like Municipal Waste? :?
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

DeathStrike Kömmander wrote:Municipal Waste (They really suck)

Violator (Overrated)
truth

Since the last time I replied I'll add:

Mayhem after 1994

Reverend Bizarre

Manilla Road with the new line-up

Bloodbath (swe)

Down

Demon (nwobhm)

Pink Floyd

Cianide

Coffins (jap)

Exodus after the first LP

Beatles except 1 song

Suicidal Tendencies with Trujillo

Metallica with Trujillo

Trujillo

All thrash or heavy metal bands who re-record an old classic with modern sound and triggered drums

Van Halen after the 3 first albums.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

J.K. wrote:Beatles except 1 song.
Is the one song "Helter Skelter"?
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."