Bands everyone loves but you hate

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ra Pariah

Post by Ra Pariah »

I pay my respects to Voivod, as they have inspired some great Norwegian bands, such as Thorns and Virus.
All through the night steel by your side
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I respect Voivod a lot for their original approach and their brave take on metal, but it's a band I could never love. Can't really think of bands I hate other than the ones loads of other people hate too. Maybe my taste isn't all that discerning?
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Messerschmitt

Post by Messerschmitt »

Must be Testament. The epitome of 80's US thrash hype and godfathers of overrated. Anybody willing to fill me in on just how this was ever possible?
Reality is that which, once you stop believing in it, doesn't go away
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

ErzbischofAbdullah wrote:Must be Testament. The epitome of 80's US thrash hype and godfathers of overrated. Anybody willing to fill me in on just how this was ever possible?
I agree with you, I've never liked them, they're totally overrated !! Maybe 2 or 3 songs on the first album are passable, but all the rest is crap.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Korgüll wrote:
Nasty Uwe wrote:I've never liked VOIVOD.
A quote that should never be mentioned in this entire forum!
:roll:
Uwe, as baffling as i find your feelings towards Voivod, kudos to you for saying so. Apparently nothing is sacred, which is as it should be.
But seriously, have you heard Voivod? :D
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

bigfootkit wrote: Uwe, as baffling as i find your feelings towards Voivod, kudos to you for saying so. Apparently nothing is sacred, which is as it should be.
Of coure I've heard VOIVOD, several times actually.
I don't know what record it was ("Killing technology", i think), but while listening to it I was asking myself "WHEN will this torture stop???". :lol:

I respect them for having brought some new ideas into the Thrash Music, but it totally does NOT hit my taste of music.
That's all... :wink:
playonten

Post by playonten »

I've tried to get into Voivod myself and never really been able to, but I have that problem with thrash in general.
My choice is Slayer. Even the pre-RIB stuff, man. Can't staaaands it
daniel

Post by daniel »

Don't much like Voivod either, can't remember if I've mentioned it. Think I got 3 LP:s... I like certain things about them, but still a band that'd be one of my last choices for listening to at any given time.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

omen of hate wrote:
ErzbischofAbdullah wrote:Must be Testament. The epitome of 80's US thrash hype and godfathers of overrated. Anybody willing to fill me in on just how this was ever possible?
I agree with you, I've never liked them, they're totally overrated !! Maybe 2 or 3 songs on the first album are passable, but all the rest is crap.
Oh no, I think "Legacy" is well-nigh perfect. Maybe I not much fond of "Burnt Offerings", but the rest is great.
"The New Order" though.... :?
Messerschmitt

Post by Messerschmitt »

Herkus Monte wrote:
omen of hate wrote:
Oh no, I think "Legacy" is well-nigh perfect. Maybe I not much fond of "Burnt Offerings", but the rest is great.
"The New Order" though.... :?
Of course they are not a bad band in the strict sense, but, just take the vocals for example. Chuck Billy may be a cool guy, but his voice has written average all over it!
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

The first Testament album is a gem for me. Many classics on it. And their guitars are tuned 1 step down, which is very rare in Thrash Metal in the 80's, and that give this very dark feeling to their music. And the vocals of Chuck Billy are great and aggressive.

So stop bashing Testament, fuckers! :lol:

+ Have seen them a couple of years back and they were still on fire, Chuck is a great frontman.

As for Voivod, it is very special band indeed. Nevertheless, their second opus Rrroooaaarrr is pretty classic Thrash, no excentric or "technologic" stuff in it. But it's clearly not a band that can make everyone agree. And that's probably why they haven't got the success that others had.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Messerschmitt

Post by Messerschmitt »

J.K. wrote:The first Testament album is a gem for me. Many classics on it. And their guitars are tuned 1 step down, which is very rare in Thrash Metal in the 80's, and that give this very dark feeling to their music. And the vocals of Chuck Billy are great and aggressive.

So stop bashing Testament, fuckers! :lol:

+ Have seen them a couple of years back and they were still on fire, Chuck is a great frontman.

As for Voivod, it is very special band indeed. Nevertheless, their second opus Rrroooaaarrr is pretty classic Thrash, no excentric or "technologic" stuff in it. But it's clearly not a band that can make everyone agree. And that's probably why they haven't got the success that others had.

Well, I guess the thread here is all about bandbashing, isn't it? Take it easy dude, I now a lot of folks dig 'em (at least those I know personally). And while it's still hot: Voivod have never exactly been faves of mine either :twisted:. Another band that I always felt is "vocally challenged", in a manner of speaking. :wink:
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Hehe no problem ;)
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Messerschmitt wrote:Another band that I always felt is "vocally challenged", in a manner of speaking. :wink:
Oh, how I must restrain from commenting on this for the sake of having the french speakers in the east getting upset with me.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Nasty Uwe wrote:
bigfootkit wrote: Uwe, as baffling as i find your feelings towards Voivod, kudos to you for saying so. Apparently nothing is sacred, which is as it should be.
Of coure I've heard VOIVOD, several times actually.
I don't know what record it was ("Killing technology", i think), but while listening to it I was asking myself "WHEN will this torture stop???". :lol:

I respect them for having brought some new ideas into the Thrash Music, but it totally does NOT hit my taste of music.
That's all... :wink:
The thing about Voivod that i always loved is that their sound changed dramatically from one album to the next, and i admit there are a few that i don't much care for myself, but don't give up on them without trying "Dimension Hatross" or "Nothingface".
When you say you respect Voivod for bringing "new ideas into the Thrash Music", you become the master of understatement.
I'm courting controversy here, but i'll say it anyway, there are more fresh ideas in Voivod's albums up to and including "Nothingface", than in the rest of the "Thrash" scene combined.
There i did it, and i really do believe every word of it.
:shock: :D :shock: :D
I've a hunch some may take a contrary position to mine.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.