Scorpions

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DMR

Post by DMR »

I think it's a real shame that the Scorpions aren't considered one of the more important bands in metal history. In my opinion, they definitely deserve to be mentioned alongside bands like Priest and Sabbath.

Taken By Force is my favorite album of theirs, and The Zoo is my favorite song.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Judging by Taken By Force they weren't really as over-the-top as those two bands or even Accept, for that matter. I guess that may be the reason.
here to learn
Keir

Post by Keir »

There was an "alternate version" of Speedy's Coming that was supposedly released on a Japanese 45. I have the Japanese Speedy's Coming single and it says that the track length is 2:55 (versus the album version's 3:33) but the song is exactly the same as the album version. Does anyone know where I can find this track?
pommikone

Post by pommikone »

I have to admit that overlooked them for a long time just because of those crap ballads that you hear in the Finnish radio all the time. I picked up "Lonesome Crow" a couple of years ago as I heard it was a good kraut rock album, and it surely is! True classic in it's genre. Since then I've got "Fly to the Rainbow" and "In Trance", love them too. Need to check at least the rest 70's albums I guess.
Desolator

Post by Desolator »

Just got "Virgin Killer" (with the original cover), I think it wasn't that good, but I need to give it more listens anyway. Hellcat is awful! :lol:
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Desolator wrote:Just got "Virgin Killer" (with the original cover), I think it wasn't that good, but I need to give it more listens anyway. Hellcat is awful! :lol:
You really need to give that albums 20 more listens. If Hellcat doesn't become a classic to your ears, you'd do well to sell them.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

pommikone wrote:I have to admit that overlooked them for a long time just because of those crap ballads that you hear in the Finnish radio all the time. I picked up "Lonesome Crow" a couple of years ago as I heard it was a good kraut rock album, and it surely is! True classic in it's genre. Since then I've got "Fly to the Rainbow" and "In Trance", love them too. Need to check at least the rest 70's albums I guess.
Well if you haven't heard it yet you MUST check out Taken By Force (1977). Imo it's their greatest achievement. The Sails of Charon will blow you away.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Helm

Post by Helm »

so here's the thing. I have heard all the ballads and the odd non-ballad (like the godly 'In Trance' or 'Rock You Like a Hurricane') and I always appreciated the musicianship (besides the singer, whose pronunciation I always have had a bit of trouble with) and the very careful composition. Even when sappy, I could always follow a Scorpions song and see its point, also, amazingly, godly, flowing leads everywhere.

However I have never heard the songs in their proper contexts in the right albums and so on. Also because my friend Brainbiter had observed that a large part of the melodic leads in Mercyful Fate's 'Melissa' seem to be inspired by the Scorpions solo mentality, I decided to give them a proper chance. So about a year ago I started chronologically and man, I got a bit fed up to tell you the truth, waiting for them to turn from a kraut rock band to a hard rock band and finally to a heavy metal band so I gave up around the third LP heh.

So I ask, as a lover of Heavy Metal, not hard rock or krautrock, which 3 or so records should I give a proper listen to nowadays? I'm getting 'Taken By Force'... what else? Keep in mind my favorite Judas Priest record is 'Sad Wings of Destiny' and my favorite Sabbath record is the first and my favorite Accept record is "Restless and Wild" if that helps!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Helm wrote:So I ask, as a lover of Heavy Metal, not hard rock or krautrock, which 3 or so records should I give a proper listen to nowadays? I'm getting 'Taken By Force'... what else? Keep in mind my favorite Judas Priest record is 'Sad Wings of Destiny' and my favorite Sabbath record is the first and my favorite Accept record is "Restless and Wild" if that helps!
Hmm besides Taken By Force, maybe Blackout and Tokyo Tapes.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Erlking wrote:
Helm wrote:So I ask, as a lover of Heavy Metal, not hard rock or krautrock, which 3 or so records should I give a proper listen to nowadays? I'm getting 'Taken By Force'... what else? Keep in mind my favorite Judas Priest record is 'Sad Wings of Destiny' and my favorite Sabbath record is the first and my favorite Accept record is "Restless and Wild" if that helps!
Come on, Virgin Killer crushes Blackout, and comes a lot closer to the energy of RAW and atmosphere of SWOD.

Besides, Virgin Killer is one of Hank Shermanns all-time favourite records.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Black Axe wrote:
The Erlking wrote:
Come on, Virgin Killer crushes Blackout, and comes a lot closer to the energy of RAW and atmosphere of SWOD.

Besides, Virgin Killer is one of Hank Shermanns all-time favourite records.
Well I like Virgin Killer too but there was already two picks from the 70s and I thought that he needs to give a listen to at least one album with that more sharp and compact 80s sound of them and scorpions sound is and Blackout's a good pick for that.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Erlking wrote:Well I like Virgin Killer too but there was already two picks from the 70s
It's the only worthy era. No use wasting someone else's cash on their 80s output.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Don't worry, no cash will be spent unless I really like the records anyway. I'll give Blackout a listen too. I'm eager to spot the Mercyful Fate lineage. Thanks for the recommendations.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

80s Scorpions are definitely more formulaic and commercial but I enjoy some of it. Blackout especially. Their most "Heavy Metal" album essentially is Taken By Force however.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

To me this is the best and most Heavy era from the Scorpions :
These 4 are "must have" albums. No need to hear before, their cheap !

1978 Tokyo Tapes
1979 Lovedrive
1980 Animal Magnetism
1982 Blackout