What band(s) that only released 7"s and/or demos...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Lindell

What band(s) that only released 7"s and/or demos...

Post by Lindell »

... would have made the best album if they had gotten the chance to do one?
Many bands did fantastic singles, but did all of them really had the capacity to come up with 8-10 good enough tracks to fill a fullength album with?

Judging by demos, rehearsal recordings etc. there are two bands topping my "saddest examples of bands that never made it to the fullength format"-list and they are HELL and ZONE ZERO. I think an album by any of those two bands would (probably) have been almost the best albums from their countries ever released really.
Other ones?
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

As far as Thrash Metal is concerned, I would have die if SINDROME had recorded a full-length !!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

omen of hate wrote:As far as Thrash Metal is concerned, I would have die if SINDROME had recorded a full-length !!
You took the words right out of my mouth! (eh.. fingers?) A godly band indeed! If anyone has the original remastered version of the "Into the halls.." tape for trade I need it desperately to make my SINDROME collection complete.

Lindell mentioned 2 essential ones as well. Hm... there were so many bands like that... I guess VALKYRIE from Holland deserved a full-length more than most. So did SMASH HITS from Italy, AKT/VERDICT/ACT from Sweden and tons of NWOBHM-bands like REINCARNATE, SPARTA, OMEN SEARCHER, DEEP MACHINE etc..
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The NWOBHM group TYRANT deserved a full length in the same vein as their earlier material.

But most of all HEATHENS RAGE: Imagine 10 tracks in the same vein as their legendary 12" incher. It could be one of my alltime favourites.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

DaN wrote:
omen of hate wrote:As far as Thrash Metal is concerned, I would have die if SINDROME had recorded a full-length !!
You took the words right out of my mouth! (eh.. fingers?) A godly band indeed! If anyone has the original remastered version of the "Into the halls.." tape for trade I need it desperately to make my SINDROME collection complete.

Lindell mentioned 2 essential ones as well. Hm... there were so many bands like that... I guess VALKYRIE from Holland deserved a full-length more than most. So did SMASH HITS from Italy, AKT/VERDICT/ACT from Sweden and tons of NWOBHM-bands like REINCARNATE, SPARTA, OMEN SEARCHER, DEEP MACHINE etc..
I've only heard Valkyrie out of these, but I agree, It would have made for some great epic metal.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Sentinel wrote: But most of all HEATHENS RAGE: Imagine 10 tracks in the same vein as their legendary 12" incher. It could be one of my alltime favourites.
The demo tracks of HT were a huge disappointment for me. Very inferior to the three EP tracks. The line-up changes must have been responsible for the sounding result i guess. The epic fury of a track like ''Knights of steel'' was all lost. A pity indeed.

By the way, let's not forget Virtue. All demo tracks slay, they could have made a brilliant 5 track EP.

Other great bands that stay in the 7''/compilation phase: Neptune from Sweden (What a vocalist!), BLACK EVIL (ITA), MILITIA (i really find 'The Sybling'' quite average, the demos are great however) and a few others...

Edit additon: It would be a crime not to mention two F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C bands: MAJESTIC RYTE from USA (power metal of the highest order! vocals influenced by J.Arch of FW, 100 times better of course. masterpiece, who the hell heard 'em and refused a contract?) and CRIMSON TYGER from Canada (Iron Maiden worship power metal, fuckin' great! for fans of Liege Lord, Omen etc)
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Ion Britton, have you the titles and release dates of CRIMSON TYGER demos or 7 '' ??? The description you've made of the band is rather exciting !!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

omen of hate wrote:Ion Britton, have you the titles and release dates of CRIMSON TYGER demos or 7 '' ??? The description you've made of the band is rather exciting !!
I don't think they ever released a 7''. The demo (released in 1984) tracklist is:

1. Stormtroopers (Tight-fisted metal monster! Hail!)
2. Tyger hunt
3. Into the valley
4. Tokyo nights (Crimson Tyger version of ''Children of the damned''. Superb!)

If you do like many Maiden influences in power metal, then Crimson Tyger are the ones you're looking for!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Thanx a lot for the recommandation !!!
NWN PROD

Post by NWN PROD »

Necrovore and VON are the most infamous in the death/black metal genre.
NUCLEAR WAR NOW! PROD.
Home page: http://nwnprod.com/
Store: http://nwnprod.com/catalog/
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

NWN PROD wrote:Necrovore and VON are the most infamous in the death/black metal genre.
Perhaps american black metal would have been taken more seriously if these bands got some major releases out.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

NWN PROD wrote:Necrovore and VON are the most infamous in the death/black metal genre.
Which reminds me that if only the godly LEVIATHAN had stuck together and got a record deal on their fantastic "Legions Of The Undead" demo, we might never have been pestered with Chris Barnes' other pityful projects :evil:
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

DaN wrote:
Which reminds me that if only the godly LEVIATHAN had stuck together and got a record deal on their fantastic "Legions Of The Undead" demo, we might never have been pestered with Chris Barnes' other pityful projects :evil:
It would have been interesting to see that impact on the new york scene, perhaps we wouldn't have so many clone bands today without cannibal corpse, but then again if suffocation was around we still might have, but perhaps the lack of cannibal corpse would have effected them as well.
msp

Post by msp »

Dr Shrinker - "The Eponym" and "Wedding the Grotesque" are two of my favourite demos. Could have made a killer album
Lindell

Post by Lindell »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Other great bands that stay in the 7''/compilation phase: Neptune from Sweden (What a vocalist!), BLACK EVIL (ITA),
I totally agree on BLACK EVIL! What a great band... It's been too long since I listened to them so I think I'll have to grab a few beers (and some virgins 'n' goats for sacrifice of course) and listen to BLACK EVIL at maximum volume tonight.

Regarding extreme metal I think that TREBLINKA's two demos would have made a nice fullength, but in a way I think they are better as demos 'cause the production would probably be 'badder' if they made an album. No death metal band beats the none-distortion-guitar masters anyway!