What band(s) that only released 7"s and/or demos...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Most of the following demos have been ripped and uploaded by various users on the www, here's some that make the difference

ENCHANTER (US) - crushing demo material, a mixture of early Fates, Manowar and Queensryche, top 10 demo for me
FINAL ASSAULT (US,TX) - aggressive epic metal, shredding riffing in the vein of Attacker, Omen etc
DELIVERANCE (US,NY) - Sword of the necromancer, superb prog epic power metal
KINGS RANSOM (US,TX) - you already know this one
SYRUS (US,TX) - the incredible and criminally underrated band from Texas
HIDDEN CRYSTAL (SWI) - great instrumental demo, in the vein of Vinnie Moore but more metal
KARIAN (US,TX) - the demo band from Texas, great metal a la SA Slayer
MAX PLANCK (US) - uploaded months ago in Poisonoise, ask Dan about it.
CHALICE (US) - unique mystical epic metal, killer demo
OVERLORDE (US) - the "Medieval Metal" band, uploaded in Poisonoise i think
DRAGONSLAYER (UK) - fantastic epic nwobhm demo, way better than their 7"
OBLIVION KNIGHT (US) - great band w/ M.Soliz on vox, classic underground demos
ASSALANT (US) - another great techno-power band w/ M.Soliz, J.McMaster was also a member
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Man there are so many great bands like this. Sometimes I even think that most of my obscure favs are demo/single-only bands. :P
I guess it's easier to make a killer tape or single than a full album.

Tyrant
Hell
Medieval Steel
Zone Zero
Y Diawled
Ash To Ashs
Cry-Max
Mein Kampf
...and the list goes on (I probably missed some of my all-time favourites but I don't care listing shit loads of bands in the morning)
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Rock Beast

Post by Rock Beast »

Im tottaly with Erlking there.. a HELL album would be supreme. They were going to release an LP on Mausoleum, but it didn't turn out so.. fuck
ReichnRoll

Post by ReichnRoll »

WEAPON (Bgd/Can) is also perfectly fitting into that thread.
It's time to raise the flag of hate !
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

Rommel
IF YOU ARE FALSE DO NOT ENTRY, OR YOU WILL BE BURNED AND DIED
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

A big one for me, based on their 4-track EP, is Australia's TAIPAN. That EP kicks my ass no matter how many times I play it! They did put out another release called '1770' later on, but I don't know if it's another EP, an album, or what. They also just reunited to release an album, but such reunion projects rarely capture the magic the band had 20 years ago

Another Aussie band that would've made a killer album in their prime was ARMOURED ANGEL. They finally got a full-length made years later with a different line-up. It's good, but not in the same league as their godly EPs from the early 90s

Lots of NWOBHM bands might qualify, though it's really hard to say if a band could make a great album if all you have to go on is a single.
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

DaN wrote:
omen of hate wrote:As far as Thrash Metal is concerned, I would have die if SINDROME had recorded a full-length !!
You took the words right out of my mouth! (eh.. fingers?) A godly band indeed! If anyone has the original remastered version of the "Into the halls.." tape for trade I need it desperately to make my SINDROME collection complete.

Lindell mentioned 2 essential ones as well. Hm... there were so many bands like that... I guess VALKYRIE from Holland deserved a full-length more than most. So did SMASH HITS from Italy, AKT/VERDICT/ACT from Sweden and tons of NWOBHM-bands like REINCARNATE, SPARTA, OMEN SEARCHER, DEEP MACHINE etc..
DEEP MACHINE! Ive always wanted more material along the lines of "Nightstalker", a full length would be unbelievable.

They actually had a ton of music that they never recorded, you can get them on some bootlegs but unfortunately the quality is never all that good.

Id also love a HELL lp (tracks similar to the 1986 demo), or a full lp of material from THE MEZMERIST.

If DARKIFIED made an lp of material on=par with "Sleep Forever" that would be one my favorites as well. The demo tracks dont even come close...

I dont know how I forgot, but there really should have been a SORCERER lp. They had many hours of awesome material and none of it was recorded in the studio (only 4 songs on the first demo, the comp tracks, and a few others on the second demo ut I know almost nothing about that).

Also, Id kill for a BRICK MISTRESS full length or a full-length from the Maryland CHEMIKILL (tracks up to par with "Deathwatch" and others from that demo).
expect no mercy

Post by expect no mercy »

TAIPAN'S 1770 is their ep from 1985.
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

Definitely agree with most of these especially DEEP MACHINE! It would be awesome if there were full lengths by Kim Sixx and Dawnwatcher though I am sure these were mentioned when this thread was started long ago.
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

ION BRITTON wrote:Most of the following demos have been ripped and uploaded by various users on the www, here's some that make the difference

ENCHANTER (US) - crushing demo material, a mixture of early Fates, Manowar and Queensryche, top 10 demo for me
FINAL ASSAULT (US,TX) - aggressive epic metal, shredding riffing in the vein of Attacker, Omen etc
DELIVERANCE (US,NY) - Sword of the necromancer, superb prog epic power metal
KINGS RANSOM (US,TX) - you already know this one
SYRUS (US,TX) - the incredible and criminally underrated band from Texas
HIDDEN CRYSTAL (SWI) - great instrumental demo, in the vein of Vinnie Moore but more metal
KARIAN (US,TX) - the demo band from Texas, great metal a la SA Slayer
MAX PLANCK (US) - uploaded months ago in Poisonoise, ask Dan about it.
CHALICE (US) - unique mystical epic metal, killer demo
OVERLORDE (US) - the "Medieval Metal" band, uploaded in Poisonoise i think
DRAGONSLAYER (UK) - fantastic epic nwobhm demo, way better than their 7"
OBLIVION KNIGHT (US) - great band w/ M.Soliz on vox, classic underground demos
ASSALANT (US) - another great techno-power band w/ M.Soliz, J.McMaster was also a member
All of these sound so fuckin' awesome..especially ENCHANTER
I am going to add these to my lengthy list of bands to check out.Thanks!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Erm, I think ... in one of the threads there was mentioned a band named Yxoth X......oth or sth. They played very mystical and dark version of Metal. First word made of five letters, second of eight or nine. Today I cannot find it anywhere. I think omen of hate mentioned it or was it DaN. Or perhaps I dreamt again ... :?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

nightsblood wrote:A big one for me, based on their 4-track EP, is Australia's TAIPAN. That EP kicks my ass no matter how many times I play it! They did put out another release called '1770' later on, but I don't know if it's another EP, an album, or what. They also just reunited to release an album, but such reunion projects rarely capture the magic the band had 20 years ago
A great underrated EP in my book too! I read (I think on on metalpage.de) that 1770 isn't half as good, though.
Gott ist tot.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Mr Nuke wrote:
nightsblood wrote:A big one for me, based on their 4-track EP, is Australia's TAIPAN. That EP kicks my ass no matter how many times I play it! They did put out another release called '1770' later on, but I don't know if it's another EP, an album, or what. They also just reunited to release an album, but such reunion projects rarely capture the magic the band had 20 years ago
A great underrated EP in my book too! I read (I think on on metalpage.de) that 1770 isn't half as good, though.

The recent reunion produced a CD "Stonewitch" which is newly rerecorded previously unreleased songs and tracks from the 1st EP. I managed to get the originals of these unreleased ones from the band, demos (I think they may be live tracks) from back in the days of the 1st 7" and before the more commercial 1770 period. The original versions of Insomnia, Stonewitch etc are quite up to par with the 1st ep. More epic too.
DMR

Post by DMR »

Bands that haven't been mentioned yet but deserve to be:

Anvil Chorus
Behemoth (Swe)
Valhalla (the one that did Lightning in the Sky)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

BloodOfChrist wrote:
Also, Id kill for a BRICK MISTRESS full length or a full-length from the Maryland CHEMIKILL (tracks up to par with "Deathwatch" and others from that demo).
Do you have the "P.O.W." demo? I only have "Rise or fall" which is pretty good.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart