What year do you feel NWOBHM ended?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

nightsblood wrote:Elixir is a good example of a 'post nwobhm' band; thee's still elements of nwobhm, but they're definitely moving into epic-power metal territory. Elixir was together by late 1984, and Desolation Angels were knocking around as early as 1981 (according to malc's book) so even though their debut albums didn't come out until 1986, they were on the scene earlier

The Persian Risk LP is good IMO but they had moved in a more mainsrteam-friendly directions by then, so it's also hard to call 'rise up' a pure nwobhm album.
Elixir was a NWOBHM band. Elixir was formed in 1983 and their songs from 1984-1985 actually do sound NWOBHM. Just listen to The Idol.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Eh, I agree more w/ Abyss. Elixir was getting more into the epic/power metal sound than a traditional nwobhm sound, although there's certainty an element of nwobhm in their music. They could go either way; it's not a major issue. Regardless, I never got into them much; they had a few good songs but I think some people seriously overrate 'the son of odin' LP.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
wyzard

Post by wyzard »

Abyss wrote:I would say 1985 as I only know of 2 pure nwobhm albums from that year around this time a lot of bands started adding AOR in their sound or adopting some speed metal elements or turned into epic heavy metal or just plain out heavy metal but dropped the hard rock elements heard in most nwobhm.
That's true,IMO.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

nightsblood wrote:Regardless, I never got into them much; they had a few good songs but I think some people seriously overrate 'the son of odin' LP.
Overrated? :? It's a really good album, though personally I like The Idol better.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Black Axe wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Regardless, I never got into them much; they had a few good songs but I think some people seriously overrate 'the son of odin' LP.
Overrated? :? It's a really good album, though personally I like The Idol better.
Some people DO overrate it, but that doesn't mean it's not a good album. It just isn't up there among the cream of the crop. And they were very good live in London in October.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yeah, 'the son of odin' is not a bad album at all, I just don't consider it a classic like some folks do. I've never heard 'The Idol', so I can't comment on that one.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Imo Son of Odin is a great album. OK, a couple of so-so tracks, the rest are amazing though. I give this album a 9+/10.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

Ironically, without "Treachery" it would be better, because then the other 8 songs wouldn't seem so weak by comparison.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Professor Black wrote:Ironically, without "Treachery" it would be better, because then the other 8 songs wouldn't seem so weak by comparison.
LOL
'Treachery' and 'Pandora's Box' are the two stand-outs I remember
-Becky
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

1983 to 1985...
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

nightsblood wrote:Eh, I agree more w/ Abyss. Elixir was getting more into the epic/power metal sound than a traditional nwobhm sound, although there's certainty an element of nwobhm in their music. They could go either way; it's not a major issue. Regardless, I never got into them much; they had a few good songs but I think some people seriously overrate 'the son of odin' LP.
Elixir for me are one of the 10 best UK bands of all time.But i don't consider them Nwobhm.Their main inluence of theirs are Iron Maiden.

As for when the Nwobhm ended although i don't like the first wave of Nwobhm,I think it is from let's say 1978 to 1982.So after 1983 for me started the 2nd wave Nwobhm(in my opinion a lot better)
I can't class Tokyo Blade as first wave Nwobhm band.
Crimson Angel

Post by Crimson Angel »

I believe that the first wave of NWOBHM ended in 1982. Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Raven are the bands that I prefer from the first wave. But I like more the second wave with Grim Reaper being one of my favorite bands!
Keir

Post by Keir »

I think NWOBHM is a little too nebulous to pin down to any specific years. I only consider Iron Maiden to be NWOBHM on their first 2 LPs, for example, but there are plenty of other bands releasing NWOBHM in later years (Diawled's 1983 single springs to mind).
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Crimson Angel wrote:I believe that the first wave of NWOBHM ended in 1982. Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Raven are the bands that I prefer from the first wave. But I like more the second wave with Grim Reaper being one of my favorite bands!
Grim Reaper for me are one of the worst NWOBHM bands.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Abyss wrote:
Crimson Angel wrote:I believe that the first wave of NWOBHM ended in 1982. Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Raven are the bands that I prefer from the first wave. But I like more the second wave with Grim Reaper being one of my favorite bands!
Grim Reaper for me are one of the worst NWOBHM bands.
That's because you have a bad taste in music or haven't heard the first demo. :twisted: