What year do you feel NWOBHM ended?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

NWOBHM ended, already? Damn :cry: , I guess I need to enter the modern age and buy a color TV one of these days... :wink:
Vinny Black

Post by Vinny Black »

Feel?! I do not! Feelings are for girls and herbivorous animals.

It's still alive, playing in my head.
I've got a brain like jukebox...

"...and I'm going Aaaxe Craaaaazyyyy!!!"
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." Arnold Schönberg 1874-1951
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Vinny Black wrote:Feel?! I do not! Feelings are for girls and herbivorous animals.

Who cares what you think. You can't even feel the music!
Vinny Black

Post by Vinny Black »

Black Axe wrote:
Vinny Black wrote:Feel?! I do not! Feelings are for girls and herbivorous animals.

Who cares what you think. You can't even feel the music!

You do, obviously.
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." Arnold Schönberg 1874-1951
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

stormspell wrote:NWOBHM ended, already? Damn :cry: , I guess I need to enter the modern age and buy a color TV one of these days... :wink:
:lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DTP

Post by DTP »

Metal Dan wrote:I say 1984 because speed/thrash was starting to emerge. It began before '84 but more bands started forming with that style. N.W.O.B.H.M. paved the way for spped/thrash (well, most bands did).
i agree w/ this; some bands were starting to merge the two together by then (e.g. 'flight of the griffin')
formally 'Hellpreacher'
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

DTP wrote:
Metal Dan wrote:I say 1984 because speed/thrash was starting to emerge. It began before '84 but more bands started forming with that style. N.W.O.B.H.M. paved the way for spped/thrash (well, most bands did).
i agree w/ this; some bands were starting to merge the two together by then (e.g. 'flight of the griffin')
Griffin is an american band.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DTP

Post by DTP »

true, but their music is very influenced by NWOBHM, imo...i still laugh at the singer's fake british accent during the opening track :lol:
formally 'Hellpreacher'
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

1978-1982 gets my vote. 5 years is long enough and stylistically many of the early bands and the ones just starting were becoming more aggressive and dropping the bluesy Hard Rock sound.

The only problem I can find with this is that a scene isn't just determined by a specific sound and "NWOBHM" isn't an actual sub-genre. Bands like Venom weren't comprised of the same formula.
lynx

Post by lynx »

I would say 1986 because there were still albums which came out in that style in 1986, in some cases debut albums by bands which had been around for years.

releases 1986:
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... bhm#albums
although some albums may not qualify as NWOBHM soundwise (for example the Iron Maiden stuff) there are also NWOBHM albums from 1986 not on that list (like War Machine's only album).
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

lynx wrote:I would say 1986 because there were still albums which came out in that style in 1986, in some cases debut albums by bands which had been around for years.

releases 1986:
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... bhm#albums
although some albums may not qualify as NWOBHM soundwise (for example the Iron Maiden stuff) there are also NWOBHM albums from 1986 not on that list (like War Machine's only album).
Just because a band was formed in 1978 for example and didn't put out a debut album until 1986 doesn't mean that the album in question or the scene ended the year of that bands first release. This would simply indicate that the band in question was either behind the times or simply had bad luck in getting their material out on time when it was still "relevant" to what was new at that point. The band itself is a NWOBHM band but the album that came out in 1986 is not a NWOBHM album.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Not sure what to think of that, couldn't say it ended as soon as '82, that's too extreme... Perhaps '84 though I also think the last year for such records was 1986. Not much buying the argument above as to why the scene was gone by then.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

daniel wrote:Not sure what to think of that, couldn't say it ended as soon as '82, that's too extreme... Perhaps '84 though I also think the last year for such records was 1986. Not much buying the argument above as to why the scene was gone by then.
Well by '86 there was already a ton of Thrash albums released. This indicating that the scene covering that specfic sound had ended because the genre had already evolved.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Avenger wrote:
daniel wrote:Not sure what to think of that, couldn't say it ended as soon as '82, that's too extreme... Perhaps '84 though I also think the last year for such records was 1986. Not much buying the argument above as to why the scene was gone by then.
Well by '86 there was already a ton of Thrash albums released. This indicating that the scene covering that specfic sound had ended because the genre had already evolved.
Besides. By then the new wave was getting quite old. By 1983 it had developed fully formed new genre's, thus indicating a progress in those directions and bands forming inspired by the directions NWOBHM bands had created. 1984 to 1986 British heavy metal releases were just that; regular heavy metal releases.
Metalion_SOS

Re: What year do you feel NWOBHM ended?

Post by Metalion_SOS »

1982 was the last year. 83+ metal was international and that small NWOBHM 'vibe' was long gone.