Same Riff??? (Riff-Off)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

Same Riff??? (Riff-Off)

Post by Avenger »

The main riff for: Gothic Slam - Tormentor

The second set opening riff for: Helstar - Benediction

Do my ears deceive me?
Last edited by Avenger on Sun May 31, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
humus

Post by humus »

Don't know about those specific riffs but when I was listening to the Trial 12" I thought of these:

-2nd (or 3rd) song on Trial/Scream for mercy
-Xandril/Terminal breath
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

I find stuff like this really interesting. Theres so many of them. One of the stranger ones I think is...

SEVERE WARNING - "The Black Plague" - the riff that starts at 1:59 (the one after the long pause)

...and...

OVERLORDE - "When He Comes" - the riff at 1:44 (the one that goes into the fast verse)

These riffs are EXTREMELY similar, and the vocals fall in almost the same place. I just think thats pretty cool.
tomas

Post by tomas »

I also noticed some similarities between the old 70s AC/DC riffs and every heavy metal band form the 80s! What a discovery! :lol:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

There's one track off KREATOR's "Endless Pain" which is more or less a rip-off of a track off EXODUS' "Bonded By Blood" but I forgot which ones. Thrashaholics to the rescue?
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

what about a more obvious one like the resemblance or almost identikit between CHILD SAINT" I am future" and MEGADETH track "rust in peace"??? I believe there's a bit of a story there but who's to know??
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
Mbeerwagon

Stealing Riffs

Post by Mbeerwagon »

Unfortunatelly I have been coming across a lot of songs lately in metal and rock that have similar or exactly the same riffs or chorus sections that were in previous songs. They don't necessarilly steal them from the same genre either. I started looking into this subject when my friend told me about a video on youtube earlier this week. The video was about the legendary hard rock band Led Zeppelin. I had always held them in high regard as one of the major influences and fathers of heavy metal. That was until I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCMDR0yrxMw
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

nar marratuk wrote:what about a more obvious one like the resemblance or almost identikit between CHILD SAINT "I am future" and MEGADETH track "rust in peace"??? I believe there's a bit of a story there but who's to know??
Yeah, I recognize the story but I don't think I've heard the Megadeth track since it came out. If I remember correctly a CS member claimed that Megadeth intentionally ripped them off on that one. I might have an old e-mail from a CS member/friend with the whole story laying around..
hload

Post by hload »

DaN wrote:
nar marratuk wrote:what about a more obvious one like the resemblance or almost identikit between CHILD SAINT "I am future" and MEGADETH track "rust in peace"??? I believe there's a bit of a story there but who's to know??
Yeah, I recognize the story but I don't think I've heard the Megadeth track since it came out. If I remember correctly a CS member claimed that Megadeth intentionally ripped them off on that one. I might have an old e-mail from a CS member/friend with the whole story laying around..
and perhaps you could buy from him the live cd-r only for 35 dollars(including shipping)...hehehe
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

hload wrote:
DaN wrote:
and perhaps you could buy from him the live cd-r only for 35 dollars(including shipping)...hehehe
Well I don't know but I bought the "live in LA" cdr from Gary Schulze for about $15 and that included postage.....so I guess it's not too bad. I did wonder myself were the other members aware of the release .. :lol:
hload

Post by hload »

nar marratuk wrote:
hload wrote:
DaN wrote: Yeah, I recognize the story but I don't think I've heard the Megadeth track since it came out. If I remember correctly a CS member claimed that Megadeth intentionally ripped them off on that one. I might have an old e-mail from a CS member/friend with the whole story laying around..
Well I don't know but I bought the "live in LA" cdr from Gary Schulze for about $15 and that included postage.....so I guess it's not too bad. I did wonder myself were the other members aware of the release .. :lol:

are you sure? he asked me 35, hehehe...perhaps he was trying to make something more from me after he gave me a sealed copy of the 12" for $10 a couple of years before i contacted him for 2nd time....
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

I got a sealed copy of the 12" too a few years back :lol: but not from him!!!$35 seems insane for a cdr!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I remember that site that Gary Schulze had, selling the CS live cdr. If you backtracked to the main site he was running a shady get-rich-quick scheme so I never bothered. I think an upload would be in order, if only out of sheer principle.
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

DaN wrote:I remember that site that Gary Schulze had, selling the CS live cdr. If you backtracked to the main site he was running a shady get-rich-quick scheme so I never bothered. I think an upload would be in order, if only out of sheer principle.
#

Well Dan if that's the case and you'll accept full responsibility I have no problem uploading the live cd? I feel a bit funny as I know nobody.... :lol:
Give it a couple of days and see peoples thoughts...
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Same Riff:

Angel Witch - Angel Of Death
Manilla Road - Dreams of Eschaton
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"