U.S. Or Germany?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

U.S. Or Germany?

Post by Avenger »

Quite arguably the two biggest countries that paved the way/influenced/released the most material for the metal genre during the 80's, so my question is:

If you had to choose one or the other, which countries metal scene do you prefer from that glorious period? And why?
Last edited by Avenger on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I would say the US for having Manilla Road, Fates Warning, Griffin, Brocas Helm, Savage Grace and Holy Terror. No German band can compete with those, BUT Germany delivered the ultimate thrash scene with bands like Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Protector, Iron angel etc which are far better then the US thrashers, but then the US had Morbid Saint, aaarrggh difficult :lol:
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Where's the UK?!

I have many faves from the US and i listen to US stuff much more often than Euro-metal, but Europe in general and Germany in particular, has also some bands i really can't do without as for example Running Wild, Accept, early Helloween, Stormwitch etc. What i will listen depends eventually on the mood i'm in each time. I think there is no need to start comparing bands, it all depends on each one's taste. I personally prefer US metal. The darker and more aggressive the better!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Of corpse Germany!In my opinion there is no compariszon.

Bands like Tyrant,Gravestone,Stormwitch,Accept,Sodom,Heavens Gate,Helloween,Wallop,Vampyr,Running Wild,Caress,Battlefield,Chroming Rose
and tons more can't been beaten by any scene of the world.

Even if there was more comparizons like let's say:US Vs Scandinavia or US vs Eastern Europe my answer would be also the same Scandinavia and Eastern Europe in both cases.

Actually i listen 90% Euro-Metal(well except bands from England,Ireland,Spain,Portugal which i don't search so much or don't interest me).
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

UK!

To be honest I know way more bands from 80s US than from 80s Germany.
And my toplists for all genres from 80s US and Germany would all have US bands at the top.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I'd also have to say the UK was a huge influence on both the US and Germany, so it deserves some props :)

Btwn the US and Germany... depends on the style of metal. ermany was better for power metal (Running Wild, Helloween, Brainfever, Stormwitch, etc) but the US was better for thrash (sorry, I never liked many of the German thrash bands except early Destruction) and dark, powerful bands like Cirith Ungol, Manilla Road, Saint Vitus, etc.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Keir

Post by Keir »

I was actually listing my favorite countries for metal recently and while England was the clear winner, it was hard to choose between the US and Germany for second place. In the end, I picked Germany because there’s been some great metal made in the past 15 years while the US scene has pretty much sucked during that time. However, if we’re just talking about the 80s I would say the US because there was a greater variety than in Germany.
DMR

Post by DMR »

If we're just limiting it to the '80s, I'm not sure who to pick. But if we're talking overall, then Germany wins without a doubt. It's not even close. It seems like German bands are far more consistant than bands from elsewhere. Most bands can only put out two or three good albums, but German bands can go for a long time and still release quality stuff. For example, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Running Wild, Rage, Scorpions, etc. I can only think of one US metal band that's been around that long without releasing too much crap - Manowar.
mordred

Post by mordred »

No fair comparision. USA vs Europe would be more suitable, and if only one european country, it should be UK.

But to answer the question: The US for lightyears for sure. Manilla Road, Trouble, Savatage, Manowar, Metal Church, Fates Warning, Warlord, Queensrÿche, Riot, Saint Vitus, Cirith Ungol, Agent Steel, the list could be made endless. But Germany? What bands of real worth were there in the 80's? Accept, Runnin Wild, Stormwitch and Helloween, then just a bunch of lame clones pretty much.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ChildOfTheDamned

Post by ChildOfTheDamned »

US metal or no metal at all!!! Hehe...kiddin'! Or maybe not...?
PsychoDad

Post by PsychoDad »

Sure there are many good bands from Germany, but Manilla Road, Brocas Helm and Cirith Ungol....how can you beat that?
muskeg

Post by muskeg »

between these two...us
metalmartyrdoom

Post by metalmartyrdoom »

Yeah it should've been between the US and the UK, but in this case, its USA all the way!!!!!! I mean come on.... CIRITH UNGOL, MANILLA ROAD, SAINT VITUS, BROCAS HELM, MANOWAR, SLAUTER XSTROYES, TROUBLE, MEDIEVAL, DREAM DEATH, PENTAGRAM, HALLOWEEN, etc, etc, etc... This list is quite unending!
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

I like the US probably the most out of all countries on the strength of

SLAYER / METALLICA (Bay Area Thrash scene)
MANILLA ROAD
CIRITH UNGOL
PENTAGRAM (the whole Maryland Doom scene)
MORBID ANGEL / HELLWITCH (The early Florida Death Metal scene)
SLAUTER XSTROYES

and many more....
otakon

Post by otakon »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:I like the US probably the most out of all countries on the strength of

SLAYER / METALLICA (Bay Area Thrash scene)
most definately influential!!