Bulgarian Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
zeuhl

Post by zeuhl »

Thanks for the info!
Gotta love those EPIZOD tape covers!
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

What is that COMATOSE tape? When was it released?

And what are those two tapes in the last row, beside the 2 Biophobia tapes?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

COMATOSE - ExDead, Riva-Sound 1993 - Mystique exotic power metal dwelling in places previously occupied by Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Psychotic Waltz, and occasionally going to Testament/Intruder realms.

SOLARIS - Spastime, Wizard 1997 - As with majority of Bulgarian releases this is a compilation of material spanning back to mid-80s. Quirky prog-power metal with the most insane eunuch vocalist giving SOLAR EAGLE run for their money :lol:

SIDER - Labyrinth, Self-released 1997 - Techincal progressive speed metal. Think of early Dream Theater with extra keyboards and some early Blind Guardian mixed in.

I've put a small player with some tunes to check out if interested:

http://www.divshare.com/download/15692504-d6a

_
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

thanx for the info...well i found the SOLARIS tape, now there is a friend of mine from Bulgiaria that should give me also mp3 of Comatose

Just a question....apart of SOLARIS, EXHUMATOR, ERA, AISBERG, OBERUN, RICHARI NA OGNYA, TROTIL which are other bulgarian bands who released restrospective tapes with older material? Metal archives is not very exhaustive in information...if you want you can answer in the topic dedicated to BG metal, which is more appropriate....for example, do you know if there's any ATLANTIK retrospective tape?
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

There is an IMPULS tape from ~95 called Bad Girl in English, it was up for sale here on the board a while ago.
Though I think IMPULS moved over to play normal rock by then.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

IMPULSE '95 is not retrospective, it is all new material. You need to understand that IMPULSE was an art-rock band. Their "metal" period was cashing it big while ripping off bands like Racer X. It worked for a while then died. Just like what Valeriy Gaina did with Kruiz. Professional musicians playing what's popular at the moment.

The other way around happened too: amazing but totally unrecognized underground bands turned into modern shit and made good careers. Examples:

B.T.R. - amazing heavy/power metal turned into commercial pop-rock

SPLIN - the BEST Bulgarian thrash changed name to WICKEDA and became hugely popular ska/funk

ELECRIC SHOCK - another amazing thrash morphed into OBRATEN EFEKT (O.D.) - latino with profane/rap lyrics.

In Bulgaria the situation was such, that before 1987 there were no studios to record at (apart from the national studio Balkanton which was reserved for "approved" bands). Therefore many bands recorded and released retrospective tapes once they were able to record.

I'm not sure, but I think the first independent studio in Sofia was Dilemma, founded around 1987, followed by Graffiti, RTM, etc. Most of those were underground home-based studios of course with minimum equipment, if any....
bastard priest

Post by bastard priest »

Finally got an Impulse Gladiator LP in mint condition for a good price like 7-8 euros. Metaloxploitation for sure, but more or less they were one of the first metal bands I saw on TV back in 80'es. Lots of nostagic feelings.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Just a question...

the TARAN thrash metal band is the same TARAN who were previously playing punk and released a retrospective CDR collection on Ivailo Tonchev's label?

Because I have some recordings from 1990-1992 + the "Zla prokoba" tape 1992 and they sound completely different in style. Also some few pictures I have from them look totally different...are they the same band?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Different bands. TARAN (punk) were from Varna city, while TARAN (Thrash) were from Sofia.

I'm not very familiar with the punk band, but the thrash band was from my neighborhood and the guitar player was in the same class at school with me.

The only person in that band which really knew how to play was Ivan Nestorov (bass & vocals) - he wrote the music and play all the solos (on his bass). I don't think this band lasted for very long. They had a demo and I remember them opening for TITAN and B.T.R. once, but that's about it. Shortly after Ivan moved to Herman's Wolf Band and Taran were no more.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Thanx a lot! In fact I checked my TARAN (Punk) CD on A.O.L. Records and it was confirmed they were from Varna...I also checked some pictures and they look completely different guys :)
bastard priest

Post by bastard priest »

http://www.katehizis.com/news/shNews.php?id=14944&

ЕПИЗОД издават DVD с исторически концерт от 1991 г.

I wonder if this DVD was released or not???
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Yes, I was trying to find information about this EPIZOD DVD:

Epizod: Live at Sala Universiada, Sofia 18-05-1991

Around April/May 2010 it was rumored to be out soon on DVD....then....what happened?
bastard priest

Post by bastard priest »

Not released as far as I know, but any info will be nice. By the way a year ago I met their original vocalist Dimo Argirov in a tattoo studio in Sofia. Unfortunatelly I don't know that he used to be in Epizod then...

MBP jiguli & metal...Cool!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

bastard priest wrote:Image
What is this? Some sort of reverse KKK or total Mentors worship? :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

bastard priest wrote:Not released as far as I know, but any info will be nice. By the way a year ago I met their original vocalist Dimo Argirov in a tattoo studio in Sofia. Unfortunatelly I don't know that he used to be in Epizod then...

MBP jiguli & metal...Cool!
8) 8) One of the most cool pics of the Eastern Europe! :lol:

Lada and mystical Bulgarian Metal!Perfect combination 8)