Bulgarian Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

It pretty much is worded to leave an impression the entire album was recorded in 5 days, but given this is a Bulgarian band, it could be anything.

Just to make it clear, there arent "many lineups" listed. The Dinev brothers just shared the bass duties, so that's what the many numbers are for (indicate songs on which the given person played the bass).

Anyhow, this album is total junk not worth a squat. Listen to Kuster instead :lol:
N.W.O.O.F.G.M.

Post by N.W.O.O.F.G.M. »

Regarding Er Malak, what are the differences music-wise between the first and the second LP, since their covers are essentially the same photo?
Ария make a metalhead want to speak Russian!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Hmm? I dont think so, Er Malak had two albums, with different covers
N.W.O.O.F.G.M.

Post by N.W.O.O.F.G.M. »

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=104340

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=103104

That's the reason I am asking, since both releases have the same cover (sort of), some of the songs must be the same, yet Er Malyk 1, which is considered the first release, offers close to 1 hour of music.

Unless, of course, this information is misleading.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Ah, the usual MA bloopers :lol:

The debut album was originally released as MC Tape in 1992, and then in 1993 the band struck a private deal with Balkanton and had it pressed on 500 LPs reduced down to 9 songs to fit on wax. That's it.
N.W.O.O.F.G.M.

Post by N.W.O.O.F.G.M. »

Thanks for clearing that up!

Now I am on the look out for that damn tape.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

The Tape is rare. If I remember correctly there was an early small pressing on RTM (as early as the end of 1991) which the band wasn't happy with and they went with DS Music.

In 1992 the band went on massive touring and played 199 shows - big ones too as they would easily fill a big halls and stadions of 2,000-5,000 people even. It was the time just after the perestroyka and kids were enthusiastic and HUNGRY for metal.

Regardless to say, no one really knew how to do business, so it never occurred to the label to follow the band and have a merch stand at the shows. I've been to plenty of those shows and NEVER have seen ANYONE to sell t-shirts or tapes at a show. It is so funny to think about it now. I'd have killed for an ER MALAK shirt back then, but it never occurred to any of us to walk to the the band and say "hey, why don't you guys have shirts for sale?"

Anyhow, I remember asking Adrian how many tapes were sold, and he saying something like 100,000, but I think it was just a wild exaggeration on his part. I've never seen this tape showing up in any store recently. Not that there are many second hand stores in Bulgaria to start with, so probably there are tons of people with such tapes put somewhere to collect dust on shelves.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

stormspell wrote:Now that I've bought a new Nakamichi tape deck
Congrats, that's some serious hardware :)

Anyone have any info on this Bulgarian band/album?

I'm guessing pretty rare but not all that valuable? All I know is I've had no luck finding one.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Nope, this one is not so rare. It is crazed technical death-o-thrash with black vokills and quite abysmal production to boot. they were from Burgas city (a big port town on the Black sea) and I've heard some rumors of pending reunion, but nothing concrete yet.

I only have it as 128kbps here so I cannot make a full upload due to the forum rules, but here you can check one song: After the Pain
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Sounds incredible. Any idea how to get a hold of a physical copy? Specific sites to keep an eye on, etc? Finding any cassettes (besides US and Polish) online is tough, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I have no idea where to find it online. I know several hole-in-the-wall stores in Sofia city which most probably still have most of Biophobia tapes for like 5 levs (around $4.00).

All I can do right now is to hook you up with the entire album, PM me if interested.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

perishinflames wrote: Anyone have any info on this Bulgarian band/album?

I have three Biophobia original tapes (that one included) for sale/trade, PM me and we'll arrange it!
jnfernal wrote:I noticed that on the metal-archives there's no information about the first Iceberg (Aisberg) Lp, released in 1988

Here's (thanx to my friend ifrankyman) a good rip of the Lp with scans of front and back
I got hold of that LP a while ago, pretty cool but not entirely great.
Fun records
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Got my ICEBERG lp yesterday and had a thorough listen. I like it. Half of it is good melodic Metal of the restrained & timid "Melodia"-kind I've grown to like a lot in later years, so I'm very happy to have found it.. I'd say it's very similar to IMPULSE's "Gladiator" LP, both in style & quality.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Funny that ICEBERG LP's seem to pop up suddenly. I remember some years ago when it was debated whether the LP existed at all (in some ICEBERG thread on this forum).

The number of stolen riffs on the ICEBERG recordings (there are about three or four demos more) are countless. Funniest of all, they even steal riffs from OSSIAN and similar obscure acts.
Fun records
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

DaN wrote:Got my ICEBERG lp yesterday and had a thorough listen. I like it. Half of it is good melodic Metal of the restrained & timid "Melodia"-kind I've grown to like a lot in later years, so I'm very happy to have found it.. I'd say it's very similar to IMPULSE's "Gladiator" LP, both in style & quality.
The first track ''Balada Za Skitnika'' is one of the best and so ''eastern bloc'' tracks ever written.The second track ''Vrati'' is the also feautred in the cassette it's the first track from 1994 translated as ''doors'' although i think the right translation must be ''gates''.

Anyway apart from these the other tracks from the LP aren't so good as the first two.But who cares it's a great record.

Don't forget to listen to CRASH it reminds me of 85-86 DESTRUCTION.Great Bulgarian thrash.

FACTOR with an LP in 1989 and some compilation appearances.He're is the videoclip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qic2tSIIr4

By the way anyone has the lyrics of the track ''Haven't You Tired'' by ICEBERG?