Paul Chain

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Cochino

Paul Chain

Post by Cochino »

I have heard "Detaching From Satan" and "Highway To Hell", that I think RULED, and then "In The Darkness", but didn't entirely like that one. I know that he has recorded very different music, so knowing which albums I like, what others would you reccomend me to get?
Are his collaborations with Lee Dorrian and Wino any good?
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Most people seem to favor Alkahest.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Sounds like that early stuff?
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I can't remember Its been a long time since I heard In The Darkness but here are some reviews.

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews/pc.html
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Thanks, but honestly that guy and his whole "doom rock" thing, doesn't sound like he knows very much of what he's talking about.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Perhaps he doesn't it was just a quick reference, I was hoping there was samples there but I only see one and its in real audio :?.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Abyss wrote:Most people seem to favor Alkahest.
Sometimes i think this albums sound more Cathedral styled than Paul Chain.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

I know only Opera Decima which is very progressive, kinda spacey but with its moments too, and Park of reason which is an album more "classic" yet very good, with different ambiances through the tracks. I see this album for sale everywhere for cheap, and nobody seems to care. The guitar work is superb on this album IMO. There's lots of feeling, and this is the kind of albums I like to hear before sleeping. Dark and haunting yet relaxing.
Gott ist tot.
Morbid69

Post by Morbid69 »

Some releases are surely darker than others, at least in my ears. Alkahest is a newer one, about ten years after detatching from satan. Still very very good.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

In The Darkness started to grow in me. Songs like Welcome To My Hell, Meat and Crazy are really sticking in my head, and I even like War!!!
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

The split with Sabotage is one of my favourite, all be it too brief, Paul Chain releases. King of the Dream is an eerily heavy track and Sabotages is a total scorcher!
stepping on toes since 1978
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Paul Chain's-Detaching From Satan EP is one of the best records out of Italy although i would never put them in my top 10 Italian bands ever.
Great heavy guitars and strange vocals.Sadly there isn't that Black Hole feeling i was expected when first listened to them.
What's that language that is sungen.Sometimes i think isn't English or some mix of an unknown one and English.Can anyone help? :?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Fucking Åmål wrote:Paul Chain's-Detaching From Satan EP is one of the best records out of Italy although i would never put them in my top 10 Italian bands ever.
Great heavy guitars and strange vocals.Sadly there isn't that Black Hole feeling i was expected when first listened to them.
What's that language that is sungen.Sometimes i think isn't English or some mix of an unknown one and English.Can anyone help? :?
Paul sings phonetically. He doesn't use actual words. The English vocals on his records are always by guest singers.
Gabhair

Post by Gabhair »

Cochino wrote:In The Darkness started to grow in me. Songs like Welcome To My Hell, Meat and Crazy are really sticking in my head, and I even like War!!!
In the darkness is a great album, One of my favourites. Cant think of one duff track on it at all. A different version of 'welcome to my hell' and 'In the darkness' appear on Death SS - Black mass. The track 'Mortuary Hearse' (one of the best on the album - That bass line!!) uses bits culled from the Death SS track 'Buried Alive'.

Those reviews on doommetal.com are a load of arse if you ask me.
Everything the man did in the 80's is to my ears Genius or bordering on and is worth the effort tracking down. Its the albums where he goes off on his improvised/electronic noodlings that put some people off. Opera Decima and Dies Irae both being rather tough going to sit through. The man is clearly mental.

Can anyone shed any light on the whole plucking out of the eye incident?
DeathLörd

Post by DeathLörd »

Can anyone shed any light on the whole plucking out of the eye incident?
I'd like to hear what the rumour is in the first place!