Northernmost Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Fucking Åmål

Northernmost Metal

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Exist metal even in the most uninhabited climates?Examples?80's bands examples will be more than welcome.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

rossos?
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Haha well this might be one.Rossos in Greek means russian maybe that is the meaning behind this name of this band.I have to say that i have the demo Live In Kiruna in CD-R and i think it is pretty cool.
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

Um, me and my hopeless memory. Many many yearas ago I hear an interview of quite an old heavy/hard rock group from the Norwegian Lapland in Finnish radio. Maybe from early '90s but the band had existed longer. Can't remember the name of the band. DaN, you found their CD at a flea market a few years ago... please drop the name.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Hmmm, interesting topic. I know of a few Alaskan 80s metal bands: PANDEMONIUM, THE PLADS and SNOW WHITE.

Also, metaleros has a cool article about metal at the other end of the world http://www.metaleros.com/countries/arge ... gonia.html
peterott

Re: Northernmost Metal

Post by peterott »

Fucking Åmål wrote:Exist metal even in the most uninhabited climates?Examples?80's bands examples will be more than welcome.
There is a Black Metal band called "Impious" from Alta (Norway) which is not far away from the North Pole. Northernmost band I know.
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

There were/are some bands from Murmansk in Russia. I think Trupniy Yad come from there...
Also Panzer Division Hitler, were they not from Arkhangelsk? I think that town is pretty much in the north.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

pentagramophone wrote:Um, me and my hopeless memory. Many many yearas ago I hear an interview of quite an old heavy/hard rock group from the Norwegian Lapland in Finnish radio. Maybe from early '90s but the band had existed longer. Can't remember the name of the band. DaN, you found their CD at a flea market a few years ago... please drop the name.
That would be Sagittarius. They would definitly qualify as 'Exotic Metal' seeing as they were samic and also sung in their native language. I have the first record, a double CD featuring the same album in both English and Samic. It's pretty good "Nu-Power Metal", i.e. the symphonic lightweight kind, with a folksy touch. Once again a reminder that I need to add an uploads-forum.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Oops! Some weird shit happened. Here's Omen Of Hates post that disappeared when I was going to quote it... :?:
Omen Of Hate wrote:Back in 1985 or 1986, there was a band from Iceland called KOTZEN, they had a demo or rehearsal tape (I can't remember) called "Attack of the Savage Hordes".
:shock: Killer title! Gimmie-gimmie-gimmie!

Has anyone here heard the Icelandic band þRUMUVAGNINN? They released a self-titled LP in '81. It's supposed to be classic HR.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

This band KOTZEN never heard of.Has this band recorded something in the 80's?Can you post us some infos about them?Also i have read about this band Þrumuvagninn this ''Þ'' how is pronounced?Also other icelandic outfits of the 80's include Start,H.A.M,Eric Hawk,Drysill,Bootlegs and Flames Of Hell
are there others?Also is Iceland norther than North Scandinavia?Also who knows the band ''Playmate'' from Sodankylä.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I only know this demo/reh . I don't think they have released anything else.
It was very fast, raw & noisy stuff in a vein of Decapitation (US).
At that time, I used to do a lot of tape trading, I got the tape from a penpal from England.

No other info. Sorry.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Fucking Åmål wrote:Also i have read about this band Þrumuvagninn this ''Þ'' how is pronounced?Also other icelandic outfits of the 80's include Start,H.A.M,Eric Hawk,
Þ is pronounced either [f] or [th]. Never heard of START, H.A.M and Eric Hawk. Have you heard them? What do they sound like?

OOH: Do you still have the KOTZEN tape? Would you be able to rip it?
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I think I still have it. I'll search for it next time, I'll go to my parent's house !!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Fucking Åmål wrote:This band KOTZEN never heard of.Has this band recorded something in the 80's?Can you post us some infos about them?Also i have read about this band Þrumuvagninn this ''Þ'' how is pronounced?Also other icelandic outfits of the 80's include Start,H.A.M,Eric Hawk,Drysill,Bootlegs and Flames Of Hell
are there others?Also is Iceland norther than North Scandinavia?Also who knows the band ''Playmate'' from Sodankylä.
I enjoy Flames of Hell.
Their album "Fire & Steel" is good, though a bad production.
Good Thrash !
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

Fucking Åmål wrote:Also is Iceland norther than North Scandinavia?Also who knows the band ''Playmate'' from Sodankylä.
Iceland is on about the same latitudes as mid Finland or Norway so not very north from my perspective. Basically all the Finnish bands hailing from Oulu area are aqually northern. And there are plenty of them starting from Riff Raff. Zero Nine from Kuusamo are without a boudt from further north and they released their debut 7" in 1980.

Playmate sure came from Sodankylä but I have hard times labeling them even hard rock. They did a split 12"EP with Squadron who were also from beyond the Arctic Cirlce. Squadron played solid good commercial type of Scandinavian hard rock but surely better than Playmate.