My "new" fave JPN-Metal: SIGH!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

My "new" fave JPN-Metal: SIGH!

Post by DaN »

Funny how things work out..

I used to love the unique "piano-crossover" of the old SIGH-demos from my old tapetrading days in the early 90's and also did some trading with Mirai back then, but at the time when they released their 1st album my interest was elsewhere. Last weekend I visited a friend who burned me a CDr of their complete discog and I've been spinning it constantly, amazed by their genious originality and top-class songwriting.

Making something new and challengeing in Metal, and at the same time avoiding the potholes of the contrieved, the pretentious and the NU is a difficult task indeed, but imo SIGH manage to pull it off better than just about any other contemporary band I know. From hereon words escape me.. SIGH fucking rules!

Or?
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

They rule. There's no other option.

They're one of the few of these old early 90's Black-Metal bands that left the genre for something great. Most of them turned to useless experiments and trendy music. SIGH did become only mad. But madness sometimes creates geniuses. :D

Well, to be honest, I didn't hear what they did after Imaginary Sonicscape, but I guess it's at the same level.
Gott ist tot.
deathster

Post by deathster »

I like them since they released "Scorn defeat" CD. Its damn good release. Second album "Hail horror hail" had also some good metal songs, but other trx were too experimental for my taste.
peterott

Post by peterott »

got their latest CD today. They returned a bit to their golden past, but still having these keyboards in their Thrash (?). Need to take some more listening sessions on this new one. But sounds absolutely awesome for sure.
ancient tyranny

Post by ancient tyranny »

Great band for sure. One of the very few who delivering something "avantgarde" which is enjoyable.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I have heard a half of their recent release - Hangman's Hymn. First two tracks were quite interesting, I lost concentration thereafter. Have to check them again and probably again and the rest of oeuvre as well.
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

My CDr didn't include the last one, but 2005's "Gallows Gallery" sounded fucking amazing. Leaving the growling behind worked just fine for me. Look's like I'll have to start buying CDs again :?
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

SIGH are great, it's true. Tons of death bands went so weird, from BEHERIT & BURZUM going to absolute ambient strangeness, to TIAMAT & GREEN CARNATION becoming soft mushy rock, to SENTENCED becoming goth fags, to THERION trying to become Richard Wagner... it seems like the only old death/black band that "evolved" successfully into something avantegard was SIGH. They never come off sounding like pretentious idiots.

I am, however, cynical whenever kvlt black metal kids say that they go to "new" and "previously unexplored" areas in music. When you ask these people to point where exactly SIGH do this you take a listen and find music that was already done by SHUB NIGGURATH (France), TREMBLING STRAIN, PRESENT, and a whole wackload of other psych-prog bands. The only difference is that SIGH can't possibly be as sick and twisted as those bands.

I haven't heard the latest SIGH CD, but I want to get it badly...

I haven't heard this 2005 "Gallows Gallery" you speak of either, but again, it can't be bad, can it...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Azaras wrote:SIGH are great, it's true. Tons of death bands went so weird, from BEHERIT & BURZUM going to absolute ambient strangeness, to TIAMAT & GREEN CARNATION becoming soft mushy rock, to SENTENCED becoming goth fags, to THERION trying to become Richard Wagner... it seems like the only old death/black band that "evolved" successfully into something avantegard was SIGH. They never come off sounding like pretentious idiots.

I am, however, cynical whenever kvlt black metal kids say that they go to "new" and "previously unexplored" areas in music. When you ask these people to point where exactly SIGH do this you take a listen and find music that was already done by SHUB NIGGURATH (France), TREMBLING STRAIN, PRESENT, and a whole wackload of other psych-prog bands. The only difference is that SIGH can't possibly be as sick and twisted as those bands.

I haven't heard the latest SIGH CD, but I want to get it badly...

I haven't heard this 2005 "Gallows Gallery" you speak of either, but again, it can't be bad, can it...
Right!!! TREMBLING STRAIN were the sickest of the otherwise very sick bunch. :D
I am ... the One you warned me of
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Azaras wrote:I am, however, cynical whenever kvlt black metal kids say that they go to "new" and "previously unexplored" areas in music.
While I gladly agree on this point, none can deny that some Black-Metal albums (both from the 80's and 90's) were monuments of pure darkness.
Gott ist tot.
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

Try Zadkiel, Aion, Sniper and Flatbacker excellent Japanese bands :D
Keep politics OUT of this forum
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

The last two Sigh albums were verrrry disappointing IMO. Sounds like they are trying way too hard to sound original, but it just sounds confusing & overdone, with nothing really stand-out...? A bit cringe-worthy. Just my opinion...

I totally loooove 'Scorn Defeat' & 'Imaginary Sonicscape' is BRILLIANT, but I just can't get into the two recent efforts... I've tried :cry:
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

SIGH are one of, if not THE ONLY band that "experiments" with their sound and still sounds amazing. Its as if they are incapable of making bad music. They mix all kinds of different styles of music with black metal vocals and yet it always sounds great. Even now that they use "clean" vocals its still awesome!
IF YOU ARE FALSE DO NOT ENTRY, OR YOU WILL BE BURNED AND DIED
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

[quote="Crows In Black"]SIGH are one of, if not THE ONLY band that "experiments" with their sound and still sounds amazing. Its as if they are incapable of making bad music. They mix all kinds of different styles of music with black metal vocals and yet it always sounds great.quote]

Yeah, but the songs have to be good too?! This is missing on the last 2 albums IMO!
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

Korgüll wrote:
Crows In Black wrote:SIGH are one of, if not THE ONLY band that "experiments" with their sound and still sounds amazing. Its as if they are incapable of making bad music. They mix all kinds of different styles of music with black metal vocals and yet it always sounds great.quote]

Yeah, but the songs have to be good too?! This is missing on the last 2 albums IMO!
I haven't heard all of the latest one but I thought the one before that was great, not as good as their other albums but still had good songs
IF YOU ARE FALSE DO NOT ENTRY, OR YOU WILL BE BURNED AND DIED