Master Of Puppets

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Very good thrash album, but i burned out on it way back in high school. It's one of those albums that i played so much back in the day that i still don't feel the need to re-visit it except maybe once every few years.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

I used to think "Master of Puppets" was a stagnation phase of Metallica, a Ride the Lightning part ii, but when "....And Justice for all", came out it considered it way better, the and Justice...and when the half rock/ half metal album of "Metallica", came out i rated it way better than the black album. In 2001 DCC put out "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" on GOLD DISC. I listen to these versions of those albums nowadays. Steve Hoffman did a stellar job with those. Between those 2 albums if I skip the parts that are boring on certain days, I can hear the 4 best songs from each album, and enjoy some Metallica and some beers.

I am just one of those metallers who back in 1982/1983/1984...who thought the best bands in the world at that time were Mercyful Fate, Metallica, Satan, Anthrax, Exciter, Exodus, Slayer, Celitic Frost. THERE IS JUST NO ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE.

My MetallicA grades are
KILL EM ALL 11 out of 10
Ride the Lightning 9 out of 10
Master of Puppets OR RIDE THE LIGHTNING PART ii (8 out of 10)
CLIFF EM ALL Video (10 out of 10)
....AND JUSTICE FOR ALL (7.9 OUT OF 10)
METALLICA (7 OUT OF 10)...
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I was pretty heavily into Metallica at the time, but Master of Puppets was a slight disappointment when it came out. I thought then, and still do, that some of the songs are too long, that there are riffs there that aren't really going anywhere and that it was generally less appealing than Ride the Lightning.

Today, I'd put on the first two albums to listen to but probably not any of the later ones. I wasn't all that disappointed by the black album when it came out, mostly because I didn't think AJFA had been very good at all.
Last edited by great_knuthulhu on Wed May 25, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I loved it back when I was getting into metal, but I don't like it much anymore. It's not bad and it's got some nice riffs, but it's pretty mediocre and boring to me right now. I believe that the importance it has is more related to the non-metal public (or the "weekend metalheads") than the people who's really in the genre. Most people really into metal like the previous 2 albums better, at least in my experience. I seriously think Metallica was pretty average overall and had that "right place, right time" thing going for them, but I know I'm gonna get some shit for saying that.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

I seriously think Metallica was pretty average overall and had that "right place, right time" thing going for them, but I know I'm gonna get some shit for saying that.....Qutoe by COCHINO.
Nah I am a pretty big crazy insane irrational Metallica fanatic of the Cliff Burton-era, No life til leather until September 1986, when that bus accident happended.

But for me being 13 years old, and hearing something that fast and powerful. I just felt like I WAS AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME, July 27th 1983...And honestly if Metallica would of hooked up with any-other label and mangament other than Jon Zazula and Crazed Management and Megaforce Records...I feel they would of suffered big indifference just like Anvil, Exciter...and tons of others...RoadrunneR, Combat and Metal Blade were just putting out to many offerings, and crushed the promising bands at the expense of the beginning bands, who got a record deal because metal was the trend back then. I would never give anyone shit for slagging my favorite bands VINTAGE...Mercyful Fate, Metallica, Exodus and Satan...because there is no accounting for taste, after all.

I am hardly the hardest metal fan to please as a metal fanatic... all I really look for in a band is something faster and heavier, with BETTER RIFFS than say Iron Maiden. And Metallica fit those requirements with no problems.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, maybe I'm just burnt out because I listened to them a lot back when I started to get into metal. Every time I listen to them now they just leave me cold, they don't really do anything for me anymore. It didn't happen to me with Sabbath who I also listened to it quite a lot but can still enjoy them as much or even more than I did back then, but I think I could go for many many years without listening to Metallica and I wouldn't miss them. It's not a "I'm more kvlt than you" thing since I love and listen to bands like Motörhead, Priest or the aforementioned Sabbath. I can't really put my finger in any specfic element that makes them so boring for me nowadays, but that's how I feel about them.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

It's how I feel too. The more I listen(ed) to it, the less interesting I find it.
George

Post by George »

I think Metallica was great in their two first releases.
When I first listened to Master of Puppets, something was wrong to my ears.
So I'll just say that it's an overrated album and definately not the best in their carrer.
Of course here in Greece everyone has the opposite opinion. :?
My Mother, she told me off today and so I killed her.
But not really, she is still alive inside my head .
deathster

Post by deathster »

Cochino wrote:Well, maybe I'm just burnt out because I listened to them a lot back when I started to get into metal. Every time I listen to them now they just leave me cold, they don't really do anything for me anymore. ..
But when did you discover them? Metallica was my first love in metal with 1st 3 albums + 1987 EP. By the time "Justice" came I had lost interest in them, but 1991 album I like a lot. Nowadays (or 20+ years) I am more in the extreme metal side but still love old Metallica and get shivers down my spine with 1st 3 LPs.
Marken

Post by Marken »

I have been into thrash since the late 80's, but actually heard this album for the first time when I bought it last year ( I have of course heard many of the songs before). It's ok, but nowhere near Death Angel, Artillery, Paradox, Overkill, Heathen, Onslaught "In Search Of Sanity" and stuff like that.

I bought ...and Justice For All when it was released, but not a big fan of that one either. The Black Album is by far their best release. Sorry.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

deathster wrote:
Cochino wrote:Well, maybe I'm just burnt out because I listened to them a lot back when I started to get into metal. Every time I listen to them now they just leave me cold, they don't really do anything for me anymore. ..
But when did you discover them? Metallica was my first love in metal with 1st 3 albums + 1987 EP. By the time "Justice" came I had lost interest in them, but 1991 album I like a lot. Nowadays (or 20+ years) I am more in the extreme metal side but still love old Metallica and get shivers down my spine with 1st 3 LPs.
Oh, not so long ago, I'm way younger than most of the geezers around here. Let's say about 9-10 years ago or so. I got into Black Sabbath just a few months after Metallica. To be fair, most of Megadeth's stuff also doesn't do anything for me, to mention another band that I was listening to back then. But I still feel more inclined to put So Far, So Good... So What than any Metallica album, although I used to like Metallica much more. After this conversation I might give Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning a listen after all these years.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

The first 5 Metallica albums were my exposure to heavy metal, as I'm sure was the case for many people, so the band itself obvious played a special part in my musical development, even though as nightsblood said I simply listened to those albums so many times that I really don't need to play them often at all. I only listen to them once every few years at this point. Master of Puppets always struck me, especially upon some retrospect of it that I underwent a couple years ago, as the product of a cohesive unit just totally and utterly within its stride. This results in a somewhat clinical proceeding, which is one of the reasons I can see a lot of people not liking this album, but is nonetheless precise and deadly all the same. They knew exactly what they were doing and how they were going to do it. It's almost thrash by numbers, yet I mean that entirely non-pejoratively. Obviously it's not a completely thrash album, but every single track is very well written individually. Even "The Thing That Should not Be", which I used to hate when I first got it, is an excellent song when you look at it from the perspective of the lyrical content, dealing with Lovecraftian bouts of madness and insanity, and every piece of that song builds upon that theme. Even the solo constructs in the listener a sense of delirium.
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Master of Puppets... It's an okay album, a pretty obvious step down. Kill Em All is one of the top 5 records ever in Metal for me. Love Ride the Lightning too, but Kill 'Em All will always be one of the greatest records ever for me.
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

A question for those of you who (like me) got into metal in or after 1990.

How many of you think that Kill 'Em All is Metallica greatest album?

I'd like to check if KEA worship is related to the time it was first listened to. I like to think that yes, because when you forget that it was a pioneer record (and it is easy to do that when you - for example - headd Shattered Existence before KEA) there is not that much special in it. My opinion of course.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Heathen wrote:A question for those of you who (like me) got into metal in or after 1990.

How many of you think that Kill 'Em All is Metallica greatest album?

I'd like to check if KEA worship is related to the time it was first listened to. I like to think that yes, because when you forget that it was a pioneer record (and it is easy to do that when you - for example - headd Shattered Existence before KEA) there is not that much special in it. My opinion of course.
Hm, I first heard KEA in around '85 and at the time liked it less than RTL. I changes opinions on that some time during the 90s though. I think the enthusiastic approach and the recklesness of everything on KEA makes it more appealing to me than the more measured and less immature (after all) RTL. Calling the debut immature is a good thing here, just in case.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.