Best All female/Female Fronted Metal Bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Re: SANTA LUCIA - Arktista Hysteriaa LP/CD 1990

Post by DaN »

Warepire wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 pm This one was reissued in 2011 and is still quite available. See: https://www.discogs.com/release/3562310
Missed that, cheers. Download link removed. Think I'll merge this thread with a fitting older one...
Totalthrash

Re: Best All female/Female Fronted Metal Bands

Post by Totalthrash »

Détente - Recognize no Authority IMO is easily the best album by a female fronted band.

Sentinel Beast is pretty good as well.
Internal organs severely ruptured from an
infinite barrage of sledgehammer blows
borrel

Post by borrel »

Apart for most of the ones mentioned I would like to give a shout out for Deathslayer, Blacklace, War Machine, Hellion, Battlefield
bigfootkit

Re:

Post by bigfootkit »

ION BRITTON wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:38 pm
DaN wrote:The NWOBHM list them as 2 different bands, and none of the names of the 7" match up with the ones, so they're probably 2 different bands, yes. I'd say "SATANIC RITES" is a cliché enough name for a Metal band for there to be several bands using it.
Do you have the original 7''? The names on "Which way..." LP are D.Websper, S.Page, K.Doyle, D.Ingham, D.Kershaw and since i don't have scanned artwork of the 7'', i can't really know. Another thing is that the single was released in 1981, that's four years before the debut. Did they stay inactive for so long? Pretty unlikely.

BTW, Metal archives has recorded only two bands with that name. I guess it sounds cliche nowadays after all this storm of black metal bands that we've witnessed, but it probably wasn't that cliche back in 1981. Do a search for "Iron Cross" instead and you'll see...
I'd always assumed the band (or bands) took the inspiration for their name(s) from the 1973 Hammer film 'The Satanic Rites Of Dracula'.
On UK TV in the late 70s & early 80s BBC 2 would show a regular Saturday night horror double bill where they'd pair an old Universal or RKO fear film with a then-recent picture, which was most often a Hammer, Amicus, A.I.P. or Tigon release.
The older film would air before midnight, with the newer one kicking off on or around the witching hour.
This was an era where home video recorders were still unheard of nevermind the internet, so this was pretty much your only chance to see a bit of blood & often copious flesh too.
Amongst kids of my age, the weekend's double bill would be the 1st topic of conversation in the playground come Monday morning, with those who saw the 'new' film awarded awe & respect for having parents so cool as to allow them to stay up late to watch them. Even then i was pretty sure most of them were bullshitters, but occasionally someone would give you a blow by blow account of 'The Vampire Lovers' or the like that had the definite ring of truth about it.
It's a fairly safe bet that, along with the hugely popular books of Dennis Wheatley, these two-fers likely provided a lot of inspiration to those impressionable youngsters watching who would later go on to form NWoBHM bands, not only lyrically, but also in band names & sometimes visuals.
Yup, the Beeb's got a lot to answer for.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
gravesnatcher

Post by gravesnatcher »

Sussie Christensen Crystal Pride
bobo

Post by bobo »

I always found Hellion as pretty average band. I can't believe that Syren never got signed and they were such a killer band.
Meanstreak was also good. Their post-album demo was even better than the album, although album was already excellent.

Zed Yago was great. Jutta Weinhold still has killer vocals.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

None of those bands wrote a song as good as Break the Spell....
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

ORPHAN ALLIES!!!!!!!
whiteravenmetal

Post by whiteravenmetal »

SANTA of course, Azuzena goddess of Steel!! But I have always debated between loving more Leather Leone or Ann Boleyn as the best female Heavy Metal singer.

TERRA ROSA is an honorable mention as well.
LaGouille

Post by LaGouille »

Heather Leather !
though many people may disagree :D
Yronbeast86

Post by Yronbeast86 »

Heather Leather is a really good band.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

One that is almost never mentioned on this part of the globe is Sahara Yaacob. She was known as the malaysian Tina Turner, mostly because of her hairstyle and live presence, thou her music was pure classy heavy Metal. She had an amazing voice and incredible composers working for her. she might also be one of the very few international muslim female rock star!
Of course both of her album includes the usual malay crap songs but a her heaviest she's one of my favorite female Heavy singer, lots of energy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPl3_osMVQ
As far as I understood she had quite a life, 6 husbands as well as being married at 15 to a 61 yo dude.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Zombie Dance wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm One that is almost never mentioned on this part of the globe is Sahara Yaacob. She was known as the malaysian Tina Turner, mostly because of her hairstyle and live presence, thou her music was pure classy heavy Metal. She had an amazing voice and incredible composers working for her. she might also be one of the very few international muslim female rock star!
Of course both of her album includes the usual malay crap songs but a her heaviest she's one of my favorite female Heavy singer, lots of energy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPl3_osMVQ
As far as I understood she had quite a life, 6 husbands as well as being married at 15 to a 61 yo dude.
Thanks for the education Zombie Dance, i'd never heard of Sahara Yaacob before & that song you linked was pretty cool.
Metal flourishes in the most unlikely of places. Intriguing life story too by the sound of things, I must look into her further.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.