CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 14 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 14 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 14 : Circle Of Treachery (Dec 2023)

Cult Of The Underdog : Maintaining the illusion of podcasting competence since 2021.
Caution : The name 'tonic wine' does not imply health-giving or medicinal properties.

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
doomedplanet

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 14 Now Available!

Post by doomedplanet »

not finished listening but at around 20 minutes:

Pandemonium "Eye of The Storm" from Hole in the Sky 1985. Since I've been listening to them since about 1986 that one was easy :)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:56 am not finished listening but at around 20 minutes:

Pandemonium "Eye of The Storm" from Hole in the Sky 1985. Since I've been listening to them since about 1986 that one was easy :)
Reward yourself with a nice cup of tea for spotting that. i'd forgotten how good some of their stuff was until i gave them a fresh listen recently.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

There should be ....:

HELLACOPTERS with Scott Morgan - 16 With A Bullet (Scott Morgan original)

Intermission song: SCREAMING TREES - Working Class Hero (John Lennon cover)

HELLION - Backstabber

I listened to HELLION not so long ago, but didn't recognize it, haven't move me until yesterday, now I consider it a pretty cool one. The Fuck...?

And Graham HELLACOPTERS are really huge at your house. Wow!
I am ... the One you warned me of
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I absolutely know the track that starts at the 49-ish min mark but for the life of me I cannot remember the band at the moment. Very annoying since I love it.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:10 pmThere should be ....:
HELLACOPTERS with Scott Morgan - 16 With A Bullet (Scott Morgan original)
Intermission song: SCREAMING TREES - Working Class Hero (John Lennon cover)
HELLION - Backstabber
I listened to HELLION not so long ago, but didn't recognize it, haven't move me until yesterday, now I consider it a pretty cool one. The Fuck...?
And Graham HELLACOPTERS are really huge at your house. Wow!
Fine spotting Noisenik. Yeah, it's funny how your mood or the setting even can influence how you hear music, or sometimes you just need that one extra listen for a song to 'click' with you. I always liked the original 6 song Hellion Mini LP, though nothing else they did really moved me too much. The 2 undeniably great songs that bookend the Mini ('Break The Spell' & 'Up From The Depths') do tend to overshadow the others, so it doesn't surprise me that 'Backstabber' didn't register with you immediately.
And yeah, i'm a huuuge Hellacopters fan, they're 'just' a rock 'n' roll band, but they've got such a great grasp of dynamics, feel & urgency that it's pointless to resist. They blend all the right influences to such great effect that it sounds brand new to me again. I've still technically only had them in the podcast once (in episode 1, with 'The Exorcist'), with any other appearances being in collaborations, so i let myself off the hook on any accusations of fan-boy bias on that technicality. :D
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

doomedplanet wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:57 am I absolutely know the track that starts at the 49-ish min mark but for the life of me I cannot remember the band at the moment. Very annoying since I love it.
Rob, try to recall this one.

Me, looks like I'm done. Tracks before and after HELLACOPTERS/MORGAN and "Soldier In A Curious Land" are very good ones and should be well known, the same for stoner track, grunge track, punk track, motörhead track and 70's HR/psych track. Is Motörhead insert meant as a clue? One should simply know the music otherwise most of effort is in vain. Kristian, got a time for this one?

EDIT: Found out first five editions are out of reach for me. Graham, do you perhaps know whether they are in "pro" package now?
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I'm SO glad to hear M-80's - Angela as the first track! Did you find a copy for yourself or is it my rip? :D
And yes, it's still one of the top ten "completely unknown" songs I've ever heard.

1. M-80's - Angela
2. Scott Morgan & The Hellacopters - 16 With A Bullet

3. Got a strange Nazareth-vibe on this one, probably due to the vocals. Don't know who it is though.
4. Heavy psych in the vein of Grannie (UK), although this is by someone else. More than a few nods to Uriah Heep too. Nice song!
5. A Rogue Demon song. No clue.
6. Pandemonium - Eye Of The Storm
7. Circle Jerks – Beat Me Senseless
8. Hellion - Backstabber
9. Screaming Trees - Working Class Hero (John Lennon cover)

10. Sex Pistols mixed with Devo?
11. More great psych about someone who just doesn't care anymore
12. Silvertide – Foxhole J.C.
13. Classic metal song. I should know this.
14. Wits End - See It Through Is this the one you were wondering about, Rob?
15. Doom metal about a jester who's also The Killer Of All
16. Mellow instrumental outro by unknown hopefuls (to paraphrase Malc Macmillan).
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Yes Wits End. Been a few years since I heard it. knew the song but a lot of earworms since last hearing it. Taken out of the whole album context would never have figured it out.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:28 pm I'm SO glad to hear M-80's - Angela as the first track! Did you find a copy for yourself or is it my rip? :D And yes, it's still one of the top ten "completely unknown" songs I've ever heard.
Nice sleuthing Kristian! No, i don't own the M-80's split, & i can't recall where i got the mp3 from so it might be your original rip. Such a great energetic little song, over & done in 2 and a half minutes. Frill-free. Re track 13, i'm sure you'll know the band, but maybe not this track. Your Nazareth comparison on track 05 wouldn't have occured to me, but now you say it i absolutely hear what you mean. Good ears.

Just to recap what's been sussed out so far. Only 9 left to indentify.:

02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs ('Cult Of The Underdog' Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. M-80's - Angela (from the M-80's/World Alliance split 7" (198?))
04. Scott Morgan & The Hellacopters - 16 With A Bullet (from the 'Slow Down, Take A Look' 7" (2004))
08. Pandemonium - Eye Of The Storm (from the 'Hole In The Sky' LP (1985))
09. Circle Jerks - Beat Me Senseless (from the 'VI' LP (1987))
10. Hellion - Backstabber (from the 'Hellion' Mini LP (1983))
11. Screaming Trees - Working Class Hero (from the various artists compilation LP 'Working Class Hero' (1995))
14. Silvertide - Foxhole Jesus Christ (from the 'Show And Tell' LP (2004))
16. Wits End - See It Through (from the 'Rock And By God Roll' LP (1979))
Last edited by bigfootkit on Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:00 pmIs Motörhead insert meant as a clue?
EDIT: Found out first five editions are out of reach for me. Graham, do you perhaps know whether they are in "pro" package now?
No, the Motörhead/Saxon dialogue (from the Saxon documentary film 'HM Thunder') was just a great funny excerpt that made me miss Lemmy's quick wit, irreverence & that distinctive throaty chuckle. It also nicely undercuts the macho lyric of the next song where the singer's screeching about what a bad guy he (apparently) is.
Re the unavailable episodes, i don't think they're available even to pro-users. Since Mixcloud limited free-users to just 10 live uploads, every time i upload a new episode i'm forced to shift one of the older ones into the 'draft' folder before i can publish the latest one.
I'm still planning to start a blog where you can d/l the 'out-of-print' editions, which also means you'll be able to take them mobile on your phone or mp3 player. Every time one disappears from mixcloud it'll become available on the blog. Blogger has changed it's interface quite a bit since i last used it so i'm expecting it to be a pain in the ass to set up, hence my tardiness in getting it done so far, but i should really get on with it.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:19 am 02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs ('Cult Of The Underdog' Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
It's only now that I realise that this song was actually written by Janne Schaffer, a very well known (at least in Sweden) session guitarist and performer. I constantly learn new things thanks to this podcast.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:24 am
bigfootkit wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:19 am 02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs ('Cult Of The Underdog' Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
It's only now that I realise that this song was actually written by Janne Schaffer, a very well known (at least in Sweden) session guitarist and performer. I constantly learn new things thanks to this podcast.
I believe Baltik was a collection of Swedish & UK session guys & the high level of playing on that LP shows they had real pedigree. Most of it's very noodly prog leaning jazz fusion stuff, but still very listenable because of the performances & they didn't shy away from really leaning into the heavier stuff here & there. I'm unfamiliar with Janne Schaffer's other work, but he plays out of his skin on that record.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

So...it's now been over a week since i posted the current episode. Is anyone still trying to puzzle out the remaining unidentified songs or is it high time i put you out of your misery & spilled the beans?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I went through again, but to no avail. So yeah, it would be nice to post those we don't know, that we could start to hunt them down. Or maybe not. Like M80s, let them remain a secret. It could not be overemphasized, that this episode is one of the best, if not the best. I simply like many tracks, esp. 5,6 and 17.
Khnud wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:28 pm I'm SO glad to hear M-80's - Angela as the first track!
If one would want to kill me I would not hear singer shouting "Angeluh!" I've heard "I'm alive" and that's what I searched for.

It's getting more difficult with each episode but as long as 'kit is ready to disclose the titles, I feel safe. 'Hope he doesn't change his mind, LOL. Maybe he should and then we would have to dig deep and listen even deeper. I bet in some cases years would pass before the tracks would be uncovered. Then it would be like in Lethyl Steel's unknown thrash tracks' case, uncovering a track every two years or even more.