Bands musically similar to first Voivod album

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
sami78

Bands musically similar to first Voivod album

Post by sami78 »

What other bands, in the lines of the first Voivod album. Bands that the fans of the first Voivod album Will for sure enjoy!
Thanks
malegys

Re: Bands musically similar to first Voivod album

Post by malegys »

DIE KREUZEN's 1st LP (also) from 1984:

BULLDOZER's 1st LP (Both bands have the initial VENOM & MOTÖRHEAD influence:

BROKEN BONES 1st full length from 1984 :
"Do you like Wenom?"
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Above all, DROID:

Some of the later era HOLOCAUST albums might fit too, especially Covenant and The Courage To Be.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

The 1989 demo by Italian band Animal Farm springs to mind:

https://www.discogs.com/release/8530611 ... rm-Demo-89

And if you find yourself in the mood for less era-specific Voivod inspired shenanigans:

or:

I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
MechaBarbarian

Post by MechaBarbarian »

Broken Bones is a good answer, since that is a core influence for the Voivod lads.
Droid and Holocaust both rule but they clearly take influence from the post Killing Technology albums, not the filthy punk metal of the first 2.

The album I actually think comes closest to the crusty sound of War & Pain is the first Backwater album. Has the same influences of Venom, Discharge and Motörhead going around, really similar albums!

The sole record of Sweden's D-beat/Speed metal heroes Black Uniforms is also really close style-wise, I think there's a shared Broken Bones influence in the riffs. Very underrated album for what is essentially a prototype for Anti-Cimex mkII.

In general if you're not familiar with the punk scene, the early Stenchcore and Crust bands like Amebix (Arise!), Antisect (Out From the Void) strike similar mix of Killing Joke/Motörhead/Discharge as War & Pain. Voivod were big favorites for pretty much all the early Crust bands, Axegrinder even turned into a pure Voivod-worship called Wartech. Onslaught's Power for Hell could work too!

For Thrash Metal I'd say the first Carnivore record has a similar Post-apocalyptic vibe. The UK band Virus and their Pray For War album could also be a good fit. Vellocet from Germany could also be mentioned, sort of similar to Backwater more than Voivod tho.

KÖRGULL THE EXTERMINATOR are obviously hugely inspired by the first two Voivod records and blend that with black metal, in case you've missed them.