GOOD YouTube channels?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Khnud

Re: GOOD YouTube channels?

Post by Khnud »

I'm 40 minutes into the show at this point, got to leave for work. Great stuff as always!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I'd only intended watching the first ten mins then lost 2 & a half hours as i got sucked into the topic. Hugely absorbing chat as per usual, well done fellas. I'll save the final hour for viewing later tonight.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

This was so much fun! A HUGE thanx to Alan & Marty for inviting me to their channel and letting me pick this topic - a very personal and close-to-heart one for me. Looking forward to future co-ops 8)
Mattila

Post by Mattila »

Long time no C! Liking the episode (about halfway thru)—I’d gladly listen to Edman talk metal till the EURO METAL COWS come home, any day. But I’m still confused about the relevance of EURO METAL as an umbrella term. Doesn’t it somehow imply that REAL METAL is made somewhere else, probably in the States? Of course, the Voice Of Reason that is Janne Sarna told me not to get worked up about it, since ”US metal” is just as established as a term on this side of the pond—and it means equally little.

But what about an episode on US METAL, excluding California…? Discussing whether it would be a stretch to call Trouble a heavy metal band… As Metalion once wrote, "IRONI, OK?"
to the death!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Mattila wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:28 am Long time no C! Liking the episode (about halfway thru)—I’d gladly listen to Edman talk metal till the EURO METAL COWS come home, any day. But I’m still confused about the relevance of EURO METAL as an umbrella term. Doesn’t it somehow imply that REAL METAL is made somewhere else, probably in the States? Of course, the Voice Of Reason that is Janne Sarna told me not to get worked up about it, since ”US metal” is just as established as a term on this side of the pond—and it means equally little.

But what about an episode on US METAL, excluding California…? Discussing whether it would be a stretch to call Trouble a heavy metal band… As Metalion once wrote, "IRONI, OK?"
Mikko! :D

Don't listen to Janne. Getting worked up is the life blood of all forums. Since I was offered to choose the topic as a guest, It's all on me...

No, I wouldn't say it's relevant as an umbrella term. To me it's more of a _descriptor_ of a certain sound and vibe in HM, mostly originating from the first half of the 80's and I see myself using it quite a lot in reviews, the same way I/we use terms like "US Metal" and "NWOBHM" to describe nuances of those sounds in bands from just about anywhere. Since "Euro Metal" feels less defined I figured it would be interesting to hear what type of sounds other people associate with it - especially 'mericuns (Alan's term - not mine!)

In abouts the 2nd half of the stream I talk about a trinity of fave releases that sums up this term form me: Trial, Metal Sword and Sad Iron. In my world those and many similar sounding albums just couldn't have been made in the US, UK or Asia at the time. It's also a sound that I very seldom hear in current "NWOTHM" - a lost appendix in HM evolution?

Anyways, this stream basically gave me and excuse to pour some love on underrated pearls, talk about fave European classics in general and do a "language-check" on what other metalheads hear when they read the term ...and I think the only reason me and Alan agreed on No UK Stüffs was that it would make the selection of bands and albums a bit more unique from the usual NWOBHM lovebombing.
msp

Post by msp »

Been watching this today. Definitely a good watch. A few albums there not familiar with that warrant further investigation.
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

DaN wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:58 pm
nightsblood wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:00 am Folks may be interested in the live stream on Heavy Metallurgy coming up on Friday Sep 15:

YT premier nerves! :|
Napping now and setting the alarm clock to 2:30... Give me Prayers Of Steel :oops:
I´ve been listening to more podcasts than music in general lately, so this talk is highly welcomed right now that I´m bored at my work

greetings to everyone, great stuff!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Finally I have made it to the end. If you ask me, Alan and DaN, you should do it for a lot of countries separately.

There was no Spain or Portugal, no Norway, only one Finnish record (where are SARCOFAGUS, for f..k sake), no Switzerland, no Eastern Europe, no DETEST, LOL, no Greece, either.

Next time, when DaN is on I will try to wake up at 3:00 CET. But I am doing so poorly lately that this will probably remain only an idea. I suppose Eastern Europe special will happen one day, huh.

@MEXDefSteel: bcs it is easier to listen to talking than to music nowadays, for whatever reason?
nightsblood wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:00 am Folks may be interested in the live stream on Heavy Metallurgy coming up on Friday Sep 15:

I am ... the One you warned me of
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

Fantastic episode.....that had only one error: it was too short!!
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Glad folks enjoyed the show! DaN was a great guest, we all had a great time, and DaN will certainly return for more episodes in the future.

Apologies for all the bands (and even countries) that we didn't get to include this time around. A topic this broad could never be thoroughly covered in a single, 3-hour episode. It just means we'll be able to do a 'Part 2' sometime :)

Oh and re: Greece, Marty and I have someone else who had already requested covering the Greek metal scene in an episode, so Marty and I left our Greek records out of this topic.

Re: Detest, I had just discussed it in an episode 1-2 weeks earlier and I try to avoid showing the same records in consecutive episodes. Plus, there was no way I was going to show it before DaN had a chance to! :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Excellent episode! Fun that I have most of the records under discussion. Think I was only missing one or 2.

I'll second the love for the Sacrafice Ep, absolutely love that record.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

nightsblood wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:12 pm Glad folks enjoyed the show! DaN was a great guest, we all had a great time, and DaN will certainly return for more episodes in the future.
Apologies for all the bands (and even countries) that we didn't get to include this time around. A topic this broad could never be thoroughly covered in a single, 3-hour episode. It just means we'll be able to do a 'Part 2' sometime :)
There's more than enough scope that you could focus on geographically specific areas for future episodes rather than going as wide as 'Euro-Metal' and do even more comprehensive deep dives in a variety of different regions; Scandinavia, Spain/Portugal, the lowlands (Bel/Ned), etc.
It could be that going that narrow might be just a little too cult for your audience, but it would give an opportunity to show some of the less celebrated bands (Voie De Fait, Goliath etc.) & scenes a little overdue love.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Was looking forward to this episode and finally got around to finishing it. Very entertaining (the whole Sad Iron/Oz thing was hilarious, though I'm sure it wasn't when it initially happened to you Alan!)

It's interesting to hear different takes on what "Euro Metal" means. When I thought about what defining records I would have picked, Full Moon's Eyes was one of the first to come to mind so I was quite pleased to see that one! To be honest, no one I know in my area use the phrase so I probably got my own impression from this forum.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I am ... the One you warned me of
Mattila

Post by Mattila »

Alan Averill on Metalploitation, "partly inspired by The Corroseum":
to the death!