True Gay Metal For Real Men

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
User avatar
Cochino
Posts: 1635

True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Ok, this comes from a discussion in the "gay metal" thread, where I was wondering if there was actually any gay metal themed songs from back in the day, either explicitly or more hidden, such as some Judas Priest tracks like Jawbreaker.
Of course, I'm not talking about bashing/homophobic lyrics, we know there are plenty of those.

Metalion_SOS had a couple of interesting contributions to the discussion:

Metalion_SOS wrote:Samson's Head On has a few songs in that vein.
And it's not the lyrics but Black Diamond's Faces EP, well, the cover art can't be about anything else...


Metalion_SOS wrote:Whether you consider them metal or not, Europe's Love Chaser seems to be about the love of a man.
Scanner's L.A.D.Y. is about going to a gay bar, if that counts.

Anything else?

User avatar
bigfootkit
Posts: 2185
Contact:

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 am

Slightly off-topic, as it's about a transexual or a crossdresser, but how about 'He's a Woman - She's a Man' by the Scorpions?
Not very enlightened from a lyrical standpoint, but i'll cut them a little slack as English is their second language and i suppose it kind of follows the same tradition as The Kinks 'Lola', but from a 2018 perspective i'd call it 'clumsy' at the very least, and that's being very kind to the Scorps.
I'm sure there's an old Alice Cooper song that messes with the gender roles in the lyrics too, but i can't think of the song right now.
EDIT:
That Alice Cooper song i was thinking of was 'Mary Ann'.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.

User avatar
Ernest Thesiger
Posts: 5999
Contact:

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#3 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 am

bigfootkit wrote:Slightly off-topic, as it's about a transexual or a crossdresser, but how about 'He's a Woman - She's a Man' by the Scorpions?
Not very enlightened from a lyrical standpoint, but i'll cut them a little slack as English is their second language and i suppose it kind of follows the same tradition as The Kinks 'Lola', but from a 2018 perspective i'd call it 'clumsy' at the very least, and that's being very kind to the Scorps.

Troggs' "Feels Like a Woman" > "Lola"
Unfunny signature.

User avatar
Priamos
Posts: 499

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#4 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:47 pm

This is as gay as it gets (?):
Pink Steel
https://soundcloud.com/pinksteel/we-fight-for-cock
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...

User avatar
Cochino
Posts: 1635

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#5 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 pm

That looks like a new gimmick band though, right? I was actually looking for legit metal from back in the day, when it would've been much harder to pull off something like that.

User avatar
bigfootkit
Posts: 2185
Contact:

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#6 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:Slightly off-topic, as it's about a transexual or a crossdresser, but how about 'He's a Woman - She's a Man' by the Scorpions?
Not very enlightened from a lyrical standpoint, but i'll cut them a little slack as English is their second language and i suppose it kind of follows the same tradition as The Kinks 'Lola', but from a 2018 perspective i'd call it 'clumsy' at the very least, and that's being very kind to the Scorps.

Troggs' "Feels Like a Woman" > "Lola"


That Troggs song is a beast, i have it on that 'Tremors - British Hard Rock Nuggets' comp but i confess i've never picked up on the lyrics. I'll check it out in more detail.
I wasn't meaning that The Kinks were responsible for starting the 'tradition' of songs like 'Lola', just that it's probably one of the best known of that type. I suppose that style of song can probably be traced back to bawdy music hall tunes in the Victorian era or perhaps even further back.
Again, slightly off-topic, but how about a kick ass mid 70s Australian Hard Rocker about bisexuality? :

SUPERNAUT - I Like It (Both Ways) (1976)

I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.

User avatar
Metalion_SOS
Posts: 27

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:22 am

Supernaut were great and there's a whole heap of gay-themed glam and punk but this is a metal forum!

I consider Balls To The Wall more 'gay' than others do, taking all this into account:
The cover art: google "Robert Mapplethorpe Patrice NYC".
The shirtless, linked arms inner sleeve.
The "unknown majority with the same rights" thing in the liners.

Then the lyrics to certain songs:
The title track is political but the sexual connotations are obvious.
London Leatherboys is about bikers, yeah, call a biker a leatherboy and see how far you get.
Fight It Back: a call to arms for some minority.
Head Over Heels: people having sex in a park; do women partake in this. There's lots of spurting going on.
Love Child requires no explanation.
Turn Me On is very similar, lyrically, to Priest's sex songs.
A case can be made for Guardian Of The Night as well. I won't get into that.

None of this was accidental, and I don't buy the English-as-second-language or Deaffy thing.

User avatar
Cochino
Posts: 1635

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#8 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 am

Metalion_SOS wrote:Supernaut were great and there's a whole heap of gay-themed glam and punk but this is a metal forum!

I consider Balls To The Wall more 'gay' than others do, taking all this into account:
The cover art: google "Robert Mapplethorpe Patrice NYC".
The shirtless, linked arms inner sleeve.
The "unknown majority with the same rights" thing in the liners.

Then the lyrics to certain songs:
The title track is political but the sexual connotations are obvious.
London Leatherboys is about bikers, yeah, call a biker a leatherboy and see how far you get.
Fight It Back: a call to arms for some minority.
Head Over Heels: people having sex in a park; do women partake in this. There's lots of spurting going on.
Love Child requires no explanation.
Turn Me On is very similar, lyrically, to Priest's sex songs.
A case can be made for Guardian Of The Night as well. I won't get into that.

None of this was accidental, and I don't buy the English-as-second-language or Deaffy thing.

Yeah, all that spurting on Head Over Heels always felt kinda weird to me :lol:
But I think that the fact that there was a woman writing actually gave a lot of Accept lyrics quite a different sensibility, even when they weren't necessarily sexual, as in Losing More Than You've Ever Had.

User avatar
nightsblood
Posts: 2341

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#9 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 am

On a related note, I've always been surprised at how many bands wrote songs with S&M lyrics as a major theme. Give how much of traditional heavy metal is fueled by very macho themes of warriors, battle, fighting, swords, partying with slutty women, fast cars, war machines, grinding your enemies into dust, etc, I always found it goofy/amusing that the same bands playing these testosterone-fueled anthems would also write songs about being chained up and whipped by Mistress Spanks-a-Lot. The dichotomy of a band proclaiming "I raise my fist as a True Metal Warrior bringing death to all poseurs..... oh, and I've been a very naughty boy and need a spanking" just makes me chuckle.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky

User avatar
bigfootkit
Posts: 2185
Contact:

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:48 am

nightsblood wrote:"I raise my fist as a True Metal Warrior bringing death to all poseurs..... oh, and I've been a very naughty boy and need a spanking"


:lol:

You're absolutely right, i can't think of any other sexual 'kink' that's so well represented as bondage is in Metal.
My favourite example is this classic clumsy rhyming couplet from Anvil's self explanatory 'Bondage':

Tie me down, you mean old bag,
Wrench those ropes, don't leave no sag..


Lips deserved a harsh beating for writing such terrible lyrics, but he'd only have got off on it.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.

User avatar
Metalion_SOS
Posts: 27

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#11 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:31 am

The S&M thing probably comes from the bands knowing that the leather they're wearing comes from somewhere...

Back to topic: how about Raven's Don't Need Your Money, is that about a sugar daddy?

User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8183

Re: True Gay Metal For Real Men

Post#12 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 am

This is a very odd thread.

Don't really see how a thread regarding semi gay lyrics depending on how one interprets them can be built upon :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"

stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

Return to “Into Battle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests