Incidents with records

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

I got a McCowans Wham chew bar stuck to one side of Sabbath's Sabotage when I was 11.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Keir

Post by Keir »

Years ago I somehow managed to lose a Mournblade LP down this crack:

I've since managed to retrieve it though. I guess I've been pretty lucky. Despite having 3 small children, so far I don't have any horror stories about my Dawnwatcher singles being used as frisbees or anything like that.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

You are lucky this isn't a horror-stories-about-books thread then. I don't have a personal one myself but I know a couple of stories that might make you want to scream in agony.
Khnud wrote:
Anyway, this whole subject makes me shiver. So far I haven't had any record incidents, but I'm sure something will happen when you least expect it.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

doomedplanet wrote:You are lucky this isn't a horror-stories-about-books thread then. I don't have a personal one myself but I know a couple of stories that might make you want to scream in agony.
I'd love to hear them! At work I've seen books exposed to mold, dust, cement, bugs, water, fire, food, vomit, coffee, juice, you name it. :)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Off-Topic:
Khnud wrote:I'd love to hear them! At work I've seen books exposed to mold, dust, cement, bugs, water, fire, food, vomit, coffee, juice, you name it. :)
What about books drenched to hot coco and then kept in a closed warm space for a week? Happened to a friend of mine back in school, the entire classroom cleared out in terror from the smell of that book.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

here is one of the worst: well known oldtime pulp magazine collector with MASSIVE collection, had it all shelved in his basement for decades. but there was some bad blood between him & his son for some reason(unknown details). Somewhere along the way this basement completely flooded destroying everything. At todays market value easy estimate of $1M+ in value.
Khnud wrote:I'd love to hear them! At work I've seen books exposed to mold, dust, cement, bugs, water, fire, food, vomit, coffee, juice, you name it. :)
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

another one: Hugh B. Cave, noted author with his first stories in the 1920's, who lived until 2004 age 94, one of the greatest people I have ever known. I'm going to paraphrase the history, but it is discussed in his biography. Author of over 40 books and 1000+ stories. His life's work, all these magazines and the records of publication were stored in a shed at his home, which was torched. All up in smoke. Luckily in the 1970's through 200's he regained copies of most everything and many stories were reprinted during this time.
Voland

Post by Voland »

doomedplanet wrote:here is one of the worst: well known oldtime pulp magazine collector with MASSIVE collection, had it all shelved in his basement for decades. but there was some bad blood between him & his son for some reason(unknown details). Somewhere along the way this basement completely flooded destroying everything. At todays market value easy estimate of $1M+ in value.
Ouch... After this, my own stories fade away to nothing.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Touching CD frame too hard,
CD falling on Tonearm,
Needle punches hole through vinyl !
Damages;
1 LP; THARNA - La Invasion $ 100.-
1 Needle; "Roksan Corus Black" $ 350.-
Ouch !
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

No cds above turntable now, right?
THARNA - La Invasion only $100? Seems like a rare record, I have not been able to get one.
it sounds like the damage could have been much worse though, like damaging that tonearm! What table is that?, looking nice.
tbieri wrote:
CD falling on Tonearm,
Damages;
Ouch !
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

No bad things happened to my records yet. Only bad incident that would fit was when a friend of mine crashed my car straight into a snowy roadside ditch. We were both not 100% sober and in a different country at night and we had no clue where exatly we are, haha. Well, to get to the subject, in the end the car was done and so were all CDs in the changer that i had in the trunk. Then i finally switched to vinyl. :lol:
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

doomedplanet wrote:No cds above turntable now, right?
THARNA - La Invasion only $100? Seems like a rare record, I have not been able to get one.
it sounds like the damage could have been much worse though, like damaging that tonearm! What table is that?, looking nice.
tbieri wrote:
CD falling on Tonearm,
Damages;
Ouch !
100 is what i payed for 5 years ago, including shipping. I also saw 2 copies more on eBay in the last years for not much more ! It's possible to find i think !

The CD's are still there i'm just more careful. I hope it will not happen again !

The turntable is a MICHELL GYRO SE.
It's quite affordable for such a turntable i think. This is the only luxury item i have in my appartement ! Besides the records of course ! ;-)
Soundwise i would say it's not the ideal choice for Heavy Metal but it looks great ! I am mostly hearing my Vinyls on the other Turntable in my sleeping room.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

As a toddler I broke one of my dad's rare Elvis EPs. It would be worth a few thousand today.

My dad had the records on one of his shelves slip off and drop about 6 feet onto a wooden floor. No clue what made them slip. Amazingly there was very little damage.

A few slips and scratches here and there, but the Worst one by far.... spent two years tracking down a yellow Avatar EP, then dropped the damn thing on the way home from the post office when the neighbor's dog jumped up to greet me. I cry about it to this day.

Just kidding about the yellow Avatar :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

My first ever vinyl, age 12 (Iron Maiden 'Killers'), I was listening to when the electricity went out during a storm. To my surprise, I found I could hear the music for 2-3 seconds as the needle stopped spinning. So I presumed you could play vinyl records by dragging a needle along the groove.

I took a needle from my mother's sewing kit, and proceeded to kill 'Killers' by scratching it to death trying to hear the music.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Khnud wrote:
great_knuthulhu wrote:Not really my story, but still... A friend had bought Epicus Doomicus Metalicus, probably a couple of years after it had come out. He forgot it in the back of his car for a few days. In the middle of summer.

When he remembered the LP and got it out of the car, it looked like a phrygian helmet. Never seen an LP as badly warped as that one neither before nor after. You could have used it to carry water.
Wouldn't the water run out through the hole in the middle? 8)
Ah, ehm, I suppose you'd have to press your finger against it. Probably.

Last year, I had been in Stockholm and found some records in a couple of stores. Not very rare, but some good finds. I was there with my students together with two other students. At the train station (Centralen) I had to help a student with something, put down the bag with the records, looked away for a couple of minutes... and it was gone.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.