UK Thrash

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

UK Thrash

Post by ION BRITTON »

Split from "The WORST albums released by a thrash band?" thread. /Mod

I quite like some tracks off Shattered Existence.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Shattered Existence is not a bad record by any means. The vocals are uninspired but the music is pretty good, if standard thrash.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Zdan wrote:Shattered Existence is not a bad record by any means. The vocals are uninspired but the music is pretty good, if standard thrash.
"Bad blood" is a great headbanger and actually the only song I do listen to when playing this record.
Except a few bands the UK didn't have any taste for playing GOOD Thrash Metal (in my opinion).
See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Nasty Uwe wrote:
Zdan wrote:Shattered Existence is not a bad record by any means. The vocals are uninspired but the music is pretty good, if standard thrash.
"Bad blood" is a great headbanger and actually the only song I do listen to when playing this record.
Except a few bands the UK didn't have any taste for playing GOOD Thrash Metal (in my opinion).
Even though I have a very weird soft spot for British thrash (I am a Decimator fan...go figure!) I would agree. Only a couple of greats from that country - Onslaught and Sabbat at the forefront. Also the first Skyclad record if you consider that thrash (and I do!).
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

"Shattered Existence" !? That is a great album, period ! My fav from them !

I agree with Zdan (Decimator debut rocks :D !) and I also add Amnesia, Slammer, Toranaga, Virus, early Acid Reign and Re-Animator stuff, Deathwish and others I'm surely forgetting ... UK THRASH RULEZ ! =)
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Helstar wrote:"Shattered Existence" !? That is a great album, period ! My fav from them !

I agree with Zdan (Decimator debut rocks :D !) and I also add Amnesia, Slammer, Toranaga, Virus, early Acid Reign and Re-Animator stuff, Deathwish and others I'm surely forgetting ... UK THRASH RULEZ ! =)
I would not agree with Virus and Acid Reign. I mean Acid Reign is nothing great but Virus is plain bad. Really nothing special.

You are probably the first guy I know you likes any Decimator release beside me. I love their take on mutant/street thrash. The vocals are awesome!

But I have to go with Toranaga (Bastard Ballads rule!) and the first Slammer album (better than any Xentrix release). The best one of the bunch is Deathwish - not a BAD song on their releases - simply amazing.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

I kinda like also Virus =) back in time I used to have a duplicated cassette of "Lunacy" and was good listening :D I admit it's no masterpiece (but still better than the early stuff which is really too raw for me), but "Lunacy" is good to my ears :) maybe just a special affection because it reminds me the good old times ;)

Acid Reign "The Fear / Moshkinstein" is ok for me too :)
Last edited by Helstar on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Helstar wrote:I kinda like also Virus =) back in time I used to have a duplicated cassette of "Lunacy" and was good listening :D I admit it's no masterpiece (but still better than the early stuff which is really too raw for me), but "Lunacy" is good to my ears :) maybe just a special affection because it reminds me the good old times :D
Possibly. "Lunacy" is the Virus album I listened to the least times so I need to spin that one. I was refering to the early stuff which is basicly punk with some metal riffs here and there (joke!).

What is your take on Decimator Helstar? Many people don't like them - not aggressive or speedy enough for them, so I heard.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

As I said before, there are some good Thrash bands that came from the isle, but you can count them on one Hand.

Sabbat
Onslaught
Virus
Sacrilege
Warhammer (Demo 1985)
Metal Messiah
Deathwish
Deliverance

Okay, it's an eight finger hand but these are the bands I'd consider being good Thrash Metal.
Last edited by Dokken_Uwe on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Deliverance - first 2 albums
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

ION BRITTON wrote:Deliverance - first 2 albums
Ah yes, totally forgot about this band, I do LOVE "Devil's meat". :twisted:
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I've always liked Wolfpack's "Total Head Removal" a lot.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Anyone remember a UK thrash band called Obliteration?
I saw them live supporting Axegrinder in Brighton in '89 (or thereabouts) and was very impressed by them and later enjoyed their demos a lot.
Haven't heard them for years, so they may not have stood the test of time, but i thought they were headed for big things at the time.
On the whole though, i always seemed to prefer the more Punky sounding UK Thrash bands to their more polished counterparts, like Bomb Disneyland's "Why Not?!" album, which i loved.
In fact my band at the time even covered their song "Fat Pig".
Also some of the English Dogs stuff was killer Thrash with a punk background too.
Local heroes The Bensons merit a mention too, their tongue in cheek good time thrash/hardcore crossover was the soundtrack to many brilliant nights and i still play the demos often.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

bigfootkit wrote:Anyone remember a UK thrash band called Obliteration?
I saw them live supporting Axegrinder in Brighton in '89 (or thereabouts) and was very impressed by them and later enjoyed their demos a lot.
Haven't heard them for years, so they may not have stood the test of time, but i thought they were headed for big things at the time.
On the whole though, i always seemed to prefer the more Punky sounding UK Thrash bands to their more polished counterparts, like Bomb Disneyland's "Why Not?!" album, which i loved.
In fact my band at the time even covered their song "Fat Pig".
Also some of the English Dogs stuff was killer Thrash with a punk background too.
Local heroes The Bensons merit a mention too, their tongue in cheek good time thrash/hardcore crossover was the soundtrack to many brilliant nights and i still play the demos often.
I heard some Obliteration demos and were not particularly impressed. I may need to revisit them though.

I love the thrash-era English Dogs - one of favorite crossover bands of all time. "Where Legend Began" is an epic masterpiece.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

bigfootkit wrote:Anyone remember a UK thrash band called Obliteration?
I'm into their demo stuff too, although most of it is hampered by shoddy drumming.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."