Vinyl price survey

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.

Would you pledge $50 for limited vinyl + a test pressing as bonus

Yes, I will
50%
No, I wont
50%

Total votes: 28

Stormspell

Vinyl price survey

Post by Stormspell »

Imagine there is a forthcoming vinyl release of a classic US power metal band, limited to 333 hand-numbered copies, deluxe vinyl with 8 or 12 page booklet, etc. - a decent collectible packaging.

Now imagine that there is an option to pledge $50 in advance, and for those $50 you will receive a copy of that vinyl, personally signed and autographed, AND you also will get one test pressing. Would this be a fair deal?

P.S. The vinyl release in question is AMULANCE - Deutschland EP + 4 bonus tracks.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

For the album in question my answer is 'no'.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Not for this particular album, but if it's an album I like: absolutely.
(I did not vote as it would cause an imbalance)
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Not for that one!
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Warepire wrote:Not for this particular album, but if it's an album I like: absolutely.
(I did not vote as it would cause an imbalance)
same here
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I have that "Deutschland" CD, but it's not quit as good as expected to be honest, but not bad either. But from a monetary point that would be 35€, that's a normal price for a regular LP + a testpressing, so i voted "yes".
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
humus

Post by humus »

I never saw the point of owning test pressings. And I definately don't like what some labels do, make special covers/shirts/whatever for their test presses and trade them for rarities or big bucks.
So my answer is definately no.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Not for test pressing.
I am ... the One you warned me of
slayerhatesusall

Post by slayerhatesusall »

I wouldn't, I don't care for test pressings much.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

humus wrote:I never saw the point of owning test pressings. And I definately don't like what some labels do, make special covers/shirts/whatever for their test presses and trade them for rarities or big bucks.
So my answer is definately no.
Well, for 35 EUR you get a regular copy of the album ,plus test pressing, plus free shipping worldwide. I wouldnt call this "big bucks" or unfair, but that's only me I guess.

But yeah, for people which hate bonuses/test pressings, there will be an option to pledge for a regular copy only, which will be $32 postpaid worldwide.
CloudsOfMetal

Post by CloudsOfMetal »

I would pay that amount for an album I absolutely love, ep you're talking about is a good one but not my favorite in any means. For Careless Talk Costs Lives Lp re-issue+test pressing I would be willing to pay a lot more.
only the heaviest weather available
Keir

Post by Keir »

I answered no before I even saw what the album was. Deluxe editions just aren't my thing.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

CloudsOfMetal wrote:I would pay that amount for an album I absolutely love, ep you're talking about is a good one but not my favorite in any means. For Careless Talk Costs Lives Lp re-issue+test pressing I would be willing to pay a lot more.
Eh, I don't think you guys realize "Careless Talk... 1991" is just a collection of true fashion DIY demos with production accordingly to the recording budget... Don't get me wrong, I totally love this album, but also totally fail to understand why one would like to commit it to wax when the production is totally unsuitable for that medium...

Yes, it probably will sell much more lucrative than everything else we have on our roster, but it will be a total "fashion statement" product not worth much but a "collection display" item... somehow I don't want my first attempt at vinyl to be such item. I hope my point will get across and you will understand what I mean.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Keir wrote:I answered no before I even saw what the album was. Deluxe editions just aren't my thing.
So you deprive yourself from buying BBTAD releases just because they are deluxe and not el-cheapo vinyl in thin cereal-box recycled Jackets, interesting...

Seriously, to clarify, there is not going to have different versions of this release. All 333 LPs will be on deluxe (this is exactly how UDP refers to their 150+gr vinyl), 20pt SBS board Jackets, 8 or 12 page booklet, poster.

And of course, if anyone hates extras, just let us know and we would gladly strip down and remove booklets/posters from their package.
CloudsOfMetal

Post by CloudsOfMetal »

stormspell wrote:
CloudsOfMetal wrote:I would pay that amount for an album I absolutely love, ep you're talking about is a good one but not my favorite in any means. For Careless Talk Costs Lives Lp re-issue+test pressing I would be willing to pay a lot more.
Eh, I don't think you guys realize "Careless Talk... 1991" is just a collection of true fashion DIY demos with production accordingly to the recording budget... Don't get me wrong, I totally love this album, but also totally fail to understand why one would like to commit it to wax when the production is totally unsuitable for that medium...

Yes, it probably will sell much more lucrative than everything else we have on our roster, but it will be a total "fashion statement" product not worth much but a "collection display" item... somehow I don't want my first attempt at vinyl to be such item. I hope my point will get across and you will understand what I mean.
Oh, if it won't use the vinyl's potential then there's no point in pressing. :(
only the heaviest weather available