FANTASY COVER VERSIONS

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
bigfootkit

FANTASY COVER VERSIONS

Post by bigfootkit »

I was 'round at a friend's house the other week and he had Metal Church playing. When the song "Badlands" came on, i remarked that i could totally imagine W.A.S.P. doing the song. Every time i hear it, i imagine Blackie Lawless singing it. It's a perfect fit.
This got me thinking about other "fantasy cover versions" and i came up with quite a few that i can imagine working really well.
I thought i'd share mine and fling the floor open to your suggestions.

W.A.S.P. - Badlands by METAL CHURCH
(See above)

SLAYER - Peace Frog by THE DOORS
(Lyrically it would work great, "Blood stains the streets and the palmtrees of Venice" etc., plus the vocal line is almost identical to Slayer's own "Spill The Blood")

ALICE COOPER - Isobel Goudie by THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND
(Again, a lyrical tour-de-force that would suit The Coop down to the ground, it's about the last witch burned at the stake in Scotland, and musically it recalls the original Alice Cooper band's penchant for dark vibrations and odd time changes. All it needs is Alice's trademark croak.)

VOIVOD - Chaos Descends by CIRITH UNGOL
(Can't you just imagine Snake wrapping his larynx round this one? The lyrics again aren't much of a stretch either. No doubt Away would mess somewhat with the drum pattern, but he's a god, he can do what he likes.)

SAINT VITUS - Reborn by TELLURIAN
(I think you'd need the Scott Reagers fronted line up of the band to make this one work properly. It's haunting and tinged with melancholy already, just set the amps to stun and it'll take care of itself).
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Maybe this one is a bit abstract, but I could imagine that a Hard Rock version of America`s "The Last Unicorn" would be a perfect Ashbury song.
GJ

Post by GJ »

When I got Adramelch - Irae Melanox back in 1990 I was immediately hooked by the great song writing and the fantastic mood of the record. I tried, but failed, to spread their music among friends (all of which couldn't listen beyond the "weak" production). Then I would imagine Fates Warning recording those songs during the Awaken the Guardian sessions, thinking about the overwhealming reactions that would (or should) have had on the metal world. Of course back then I had no idea that Irae Melanox would eventually reach cult status (albeit in a limited context). About Fates Warning doing the stuff... Would that have made sense?
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

I could see Anacrusis covering Rites of Spring's Deeper Inside. The happier punk melodies might be a little hard to work with in ways that the relative emptiness of I Love the World did not interfere, but the tempo and emotive aggression are there, and lyrically it could fit on any Anacrusis album. If they emphasized the more hardcore elements of the song/band it would fit perfectly.
OllieAssault

Post by OllieAssault »

Sigge Fürst sings Candlemass would be awesome. A bit too late now thou.
GJ

Post by GJ »

:lol:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Who is/was Sigge Fürst?
GJ

Post by GJ »

Stolen stuff, translated by Google: Fürst, Sigge, 1905-84, actors and singers. Fürst achieved great popularity as a folk park performer, vaudeville actor, presenter of Radio (Breakfast Club, 1946-78 ) and television (Sigge's Circus, 1956-59) and in over 130 film roles. Between 1963-74 he worked at the Royal Dramatic Theatre.

You may recall Candlemass recording a mini CD called Candelmass sjunger (eng: sings) Sigge Fürst back in 1993

ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Would like to hear DIAMANDA GALAS singing SLAUTER XSTROYES :D
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Cathedral doing "Mouldy Old Dough".
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Satannick

Post by Satannick »

Haha I remember seeing that Candlemass CD in the bin in Montreal, nobody ever picked it up in like the 4 years I saw it there!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Joan Baez singing Saints In Hell by Judas Priest. :P
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Black Axe wrote:Joan Baez singing Saints In Hell by Judas Priest. :P
I like it! Sort of returning the favour after JP did her "Diamonds & Rust".
Anyone got Joan's phone no. ?
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Wrathchild UK - Neil Sedaka's "Bad Blood"
Motorhead - Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk"
Megadeth - Ride The Lightning(like most of RTL it still has Mustaine's unacknowledged fingerprints all over it, and if you can't hear him singing "Flash Before My Eyes, Now It's Time To Die" , you've never really listened......)
RAM - Space Invaders (Player One..look it up on youtube kiddies..a speed Metal classic waiting to happen)
Lost Horizon (the recent one from Sweden) - Johnny Warman's "Screaming Jets"
Garry Moore - Peter Frampton's Breaking The Rules.
Cianide w/ Karl Simon on vocals - No Remorse slowed down except for the ending
Vanishing Point (Oz)- Mike & The Mechanics' "Silent Running" (Don't really like the band but I can imagine them doing this justice)

To whoever mentioned Ashbury..they could pretty much do anything by The Moody Blues (the singer's a dead ringer for Justin Hayward for a start) or early Dire Straits(The guitar style and technique is incredibly similar ) anyone who can't hear either of these things as plain as day is probably in denial.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

MANOWAR doing CARDIAC's "The Alphabet Business Concern - Home Of Fadeless Splendour" would be a much-awaited return to form.

...or MANILLA ROAD doing "Red Fire Coming Out Of His Gills" from the same Akt.