"The New Heavy Metal Movement"...

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Of course it's 'Metal'. Whether or not it's your prerogative to occasionally indulge in largely derivative bands has no bearing on whether or not said derivative bands can legitimately have their 'Metalness' put in question. And, to be honest, I don't hear anything particularly laudable about Lord Ryur that would spark enough interest in one of their songs to the point that you would record it, other than the fact that they're obscure and Canadian. They're certainly not particularly original, so I would have to assume that you don't entirely reject derivative bands.
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Dodens Grav wrote:Of course it's 'Metal'. Whether or not it's your prerogative to occasionally indulge in largely derivative bands has no bearing on whether or not said derivative bands can legitimately have their 'Metalness' put in question.
I suppose in the same way bands like Dimmu Borgir can be considered Metal. Sure, they are Metal, I'm not here to argue semantics or anything, but that attitude to me doesn't lead to anything worthwhile, but of course that is subjective. Maybe their "metalness" cannot be put into question (since there is no real way of defining what makes one more or less "metal"), but I can sure as hell say that they are merely riding a "retro wave" made from the same stuff that carried the Retro Thrash movement which has all but pretty much disappeared in the past while.
And, to be honest, I don't hear anything particularly laudable about Lord Ryur that would spark enough interest in one of their songs to the point that you would record it, other than the fact that they're obscure and Canadian. They're certainly not particularly original, so I would have to assume that you don't entirely reject derivative bands.
Is this a joke? Lord Ryur are pretty original... The schizophrenic vocals, the blasting riffs, it sounds like a speed metal DEATH SS to my ears. But of course they were not as innovative from the majestic bands of Frostbitten Norway so perhaps I am speaking of line. :wink:

Just kidding mate, but I found that remark to be a bit of a shot below the belt line if anything. We're now at even score. :P
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I have to agree, the vocals on Lord Ryur were unique.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Daaamn man, I wasn't expecting to push as many buttons as I have with this thread. Hopefully it still stays somewhat civil... :twisted:

Seriously though, Lord Ryur are anything but run of the mill to me... They're up there with Coven and Lords of the Crimson Alliance in terms of strangeness / unique sound.
jared

Post by jared »

heavy metal = doing exactly what bands did 25 years before you. period.

this thread sucks.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

jared wrote:heavy metal = doing exactly what bands did 25 years before you. period.
--->

heavy metal in '85 = doing exactly what bands did in '60

:?:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Pestkrieg

Post by Pestkrieg »

FuneralCircle wrote:Daaamn man, I wasn't expecting to push as many buttons as I have with this thread. Hopefully it still stays somewhat civil... :twisted:

Seriously though, Lord Ryur are anything but run of the mill to me... They're up there with Coven and Lords of the Crimson Alliance in terms of strangeness / unique sound.
Not meant as a dig, because I really enjoy your band, but do you really think you're doing something a) more original and b) less cliched than someone like Enforcer?
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

ION BRITTON wrote:
jared wrote:heavy metal = doing exactly what bands did 25 years before you. period.
--->

heavy metal in '85 = doing exactly what bands did in '60

:?:
in that case that would be 15 years :lol:
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Pestkrieg wrote:
FuneralCircle wrote:Daaamn man, I wasn't expecting to push as many buttons as I have with this thread. Hopefully it still stays somewhat civil... :twisted:

Not meant as a dig, because I really enjoy your band, but do you really think you're doing something a) more original and b) less cliched than someone like Enforcer?
Pretty irrelevant if you ask me. I'm talking about Lord Ryur here, who I think are pretty original, even if they aren't necessarily unaccessible. You can think what you like about my band and I'm very glad you enjoy us and hopefully support us as well mate, but unlike ENFORCER I don't think you'll ever see us on a label like EARACHE Records, if that counts for anything! :P
Tobiee

Re: "The New Heavy Metal Movement"...

Post by Tobiee »

Bane wrote:
FuneralCircle wrote:... Or whatever the fuck it's called. Am I the only one who finds this shit to be extremely lame? Bands like HOLY GRAIL, WHITE WIZZARD, CAULDRON, ENFORCER, and SKULL FIST I think suck tremendous amounts of arse, all do essentially the same thing, dress up like pretty boy morons and have cliched song names like "Here's the Storm", "Tonight is the Night", and "Too Fast to Kill" or some shit. What the fuck happened? I guess that's what we get when a shite band like Cauldron jump onto Earache, you have a bunch of clones that somehow manage to sound worse.

The problem is how many people don't really think these bands are bullshit, but think they're up there with newer bands like Portrait, Atlantean Kodex, Twisted Tower Dire... I just needed to get this shit off my chest, been meaning to say something about this "movement" for far too long.

Thoughts?!
For one, Enforcer have been around for as long as Cauldron so the don't fit into the whole "clone" equation. I also wouldn't put them in the same category as White Wizzard and the rest of the bands you mentioned. I find them pretty damn enjoyable and not as, say, limp-wristed as some of the others.

The long and short of it is, why shouldn't bands like Enforcer, Skull Fist etc play traditional metal festivals like Up The Hammers? They play traditional metal. Granted, not to everyone's liking, but there are plenty of people who like them and like it or not the decision lies with the organisers in the end. Sure, there are other bands I would rather see play, but I have long since stopped pointing fingers at bands I don't like and saying they aren't deserving of a place on the line-up... because who the hell am I to say that?? My opinion holds no weight when it comes to dictating who is or isn't entitled to play a gig or festival.

Also, cliched song titles don't grind on me at all. Heavy metal is rampant with cliches, whether it's in song titles, lyrical content or the moves bands perform on stage. How many Doom bands can you name who sing about the occult, funerals, Satan, wizards (!!) and so on?? It's nigh on impossible to be original in Heavy metal these days. I say: GOOD! Bands ought to spend less time trying to reinvent the wheel and more time playing music that they're passionate about.

Which brings me back to your post. Those bands you mentioned mightn't be to your/our liking but who are we to say whether or not they're passionate about what they do? Maybe I'm getting old or something, but I'm growing tired of all the negativity in the underground scene. I'm not suggesting people start biting their lips and not speaking their mind for one second - I will always speak my mind - but there are various things in the underground scene that, for the want of a better phrase, have been getting on my tits lately.

These kind of threads being one of those things. We can sit infront of our computers and moan about how these signed bands are soulless and undeserving of their success and yada yada yada, OR... we can start threads about the bands we actually like, the bands we want to support and see succeed.

I'm rambling and I'm not even sure if any of that makes sense, but I have 3 more hours in work until I can have a beer and I have to waste it doing something :)

- Barry
+1
The_Elite

Post by The_Elite »

FuneralCircle wrote:but unlike ENFORCER I don't think you'll ever see us on a label like EARACHE Records, if that counts for anything! :P
You do actually realise they're signed to Heavy Artillery and LICENSED to Earache. :lol:

Enforcer's latest album is one of the best heavy metal albums in aeons- I seriously can't even believe you'd think clowns like Twisted Tower Dire are 'real' heavy metal- the latest generation of kids in Sweden live and breathe heavy metal in a way that makes it a far more vibrant and exciting genre (however 'cliched') than it has been for a long time.

White Wizzard are an appalling joke.
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

The_Elite wrote:
FuneralCircle wrote:but unlike ENFORCER I don't think you'll ever see us on a label like EARACHE Records, if that counts for anything! :P
You do actually realise they're signed to Heavy Artillery and LICENSED to Earache. :lol:

Enforcer's latest album is one of the best heavy metal albums in aeons- I seriously can't even believe you'd think clowns like Twisted Tower Dire are 'real' heavy metal- the latest generation of kids in Sweden live and breathe heavy metal in a way that makes it a far more vibrant and exciting genre (however 'cliched') than it has been for a long time.

White Wizzard are an appalling joke.
Licensed, affiliated, or signed (I don't think I said anything about them being signed to Earache??), Earache is still arse! Sorry man, I just can't agree, I think Diamonds is pretty lame, but then again it's to each their own!! Besides, I don't find Enforcer nearly as bad as Skull Fist or Cauldron, but then again I think they are still pretty damn dull!!

At least we can agree on White Wizzard. :wink:
The_Elite

Post by The_Elite »

See I understand what you're trying to get at- heavy metal has kind of become some sort of marketable commodity- somehow it's cool to be uncool if you get my drift, but there is genuinely a huge difference between some of the bands you mentioned.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

curious sidenote on Enforcer (since seems the main topic) i noticed some days ago while checking one of their new songs in their myspace.

listen to the verses in midnight vice track and then play Dangerous Toys´s debut and compare :P

oh wait Dangerous Toys is not true metal! :lol:
MEXDefenderOfSteel

curious sidenote on Enforcer (since seems the main topic) i noticed some days ago while checking one of their new songs in their myspace.

listen to the verses in midnight vice track and then play Dangerous Toys´s debut and compare :P

oh wait Dangerous Toys is not true metal! :lol: