Unholy German Trinity

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

What's your fave between those three ?

SODOM
44%
KREATOR
32%
DESTRUCTION
25%

Total votes: 73

Raven

Post by Raven »

DeathStrike Kömmander wrote:I've also choose DESTRUCTION, they also contributed to the technical thrash scene with release from agony, Also agree with J.K. (Anyway, it was a hard choice and I have only voted for the 80's era. Cause the later releases (even if some are good) doesn't REALLY matter, regarding the legendary beginning.)
I also choose DESTRUCTION, and I agree on what you say about the technical thrash scene of the '80.
2° for me are KREATOR that have released some very good songs with Flag of Hate and Pleausure to kill especially. Pity for the guitar solos that are really chaotics.
3° are SODOM. I don't like very much their first works, but with Expurse of sodomy and Persecution mania (their best Lp IMO) they have improved very much their music.
May the Lords of light be with you
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

Great bands all of three of course.But i think many people through the years refer f.ex ''hey i'm listening to German Thrash'' ''DESTRUCTION,KREATOR,SODOM'' and that's irritating since all people keep mentioning these three bands when talking about German Thrash.

There are other great German thrash bands who released albums many times better than the some from the discography of the 80's of the Unholy Trinity.But usually have only 1-2 albums.

VECTOM,NECRONOMICON,LIVING DEATH,VIOLENT FORCE,IRON ANGEL,DEATHROW(the fastest thrash metal band) are some bands need to be heard more when someone refers to german thrash.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Iron Angel and Vectom arent thrash metal comparing to Necronomicon or Sodom, total speed metal to my ears...plus very few like Vectom around here,except for me of course,early Living Death doesnt sounds thrash to me either
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Missed this poll until now... I had to go for DESTRUCTION purely on their "Infernal Overkill" album since it slays any of the other band's releases. Luw "Pleasure To Kill", "Agent Orange", "Flag Of Hate" EP & "Sign Of Evil" too, but I've always felt these Classic 3 were a wee bit overrated when you look at their complete discog, early 80's up until now. For instance, NECRONOMICON - s/t, SECOND HELL/SKULL CRUSHER split, FLAMES' "Last Prophecy" & "Summon The Dead" as well as KORROZIA METALLA's "Orden Satani" & "Russian Vodka" albums are as equally great as these classics, even if they came out a year or 4 'too late'. Guess I'm just overly picky when it comes to Thrash...
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Vaggelis wrote:Great bands all of three of course.But i think many people through the years refer f.ex ''hey i'm listening to German Thrash'' ''DESTRUCTION,KREATOR,SODOM'' and that's irritating since all people keep mentioning these three bands when talking about German Thrash.

There are other great German thrash bands who released albums many times better than the some from the discography of the 80's of the Unholy Trinity.But usually have only 1-2 albums.

VECTOM,NECRONOMICON,LIVING DEATH,VIOLENT FORCE,IRON ANGEL,DEATHROW(the fastest thrash metal band) are some bands need to be heard more when someone refers to german thrash.
Deathrow is just a rip-off of Slayer/Kreator, come on...

As for the rest, if not bad, clearly under the Beerland Trinity.

And Kreator/Destruction/Sodom are just the natural pionneers of extreme metal in Germany so we can't blame them to be the main reference of many people, even if they are not the only good bands.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Must add two thing:

Too bad we are the less numerous for DESTRUCTION haha

I think I've lost interest for Kreator. Still got many albums of them, but contrary to SODOM and DESTRUCTION, I have difficulties to listen to their albums now... Just like the magic is partly gone.

Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Vaggelis wrote:Great bands all of three of course.But i think many people through the years refer f.ex ''hey i'm listening to German Thrash'' ''DESTRUCTION,KREATOR,SODOM'' and that's irritating since all people keep mentioning these three bands when talking about German Thrash.

It was already explained earlier on in the thread why only these three bands were included. It has to do with the history of the scene.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

J.K. wrote:Deathrow is just a rip-off of Slayer/Kreator, come on...
Not that it matters but if you truly believe this, then you obviously haven't heard "Deception Ignored". Slayer never played anything nearly that technical. Please educate yourself.

Also, claiming that another Thrash band sounds like Slayer is a moot point. Thrash Metal is not the most creatively diverse sub-genre and all in all any of the several thousand bands that came around and played this style after the first handful could all be traced back to the roots of Slayer...

Quite irrelevant.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

Avenger wrote:
Not that it matters but if you truly believe this, then you obviously haven't heard "Deception Ignored". Slayer never played anything nearly that technical. Please educate yourself.

Also, claiming that another Thrash band sounds like Slayer is a moot point. Thrash Metal is not the most creatively diverse sub-genre and all in all any of the several thousand bands that came around and played this style after the first handful could all be traced back to the roots of Slayer...

Quite irrelevant.
DEATHROW-Riders Of Doom i mean.

Over-Technicity is crap and 90% just a simple technicity does a lot of harm.That's the reason why thrash metal after 1986-87 had few bands worthing because all the thrash out there wanted to be more commercial so thinked better productions and technicity is the solution.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Vaggelis wrote:
Over-Technicity is crap and 90% just a simple technicity does a lot of harm.That's the reason why thrash metal after 1986-87 had few bands worthing

Well, I do agree technical metal is in most cases unlistenable :D but....

because all the thrash out there wanted to be more commercial so thinked better productions and technicity is the solution.
Was it so? I beg to differ.
I don`believe they really thought of gaining wider attention or commercial success in making their music more complex (and more boring at the same time :D ). All that techno-thrash affair might have been a fad indeed, but only among musicians. It gained in fact little appeal in fan circles as those who wanted a real extreme music would go for the mushrooming death/black metal scene. And thereby thrash soon fell into oblivion.

At least that is how it seems to have been to me. Obviously, I might be wrong. :)
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Avenger wrote:
That's right I've just listened to the 2 first full-lenght and this doesn't help me to dig more of them!

Anyway my point was that Deathrow are clearly beneath Sodom/Kreator/Destruction.

My opinion...

Lama

Post by Lama »

I choose "Raging Steel" from DEATHROW above most of the early (and off course later) outputs of Kreator and Destruction. Great and diverse thrash metal. Certainly not a 'rip-off' of those two. Influenced maybe? Yes.

I really need to spin that "Deception Ignored"-album. I think I bought it 14 years ago, but haven't had the time to dig into it :roll:

I don't have a problem with technical (or melodic) thrash metal. Primitive or progressive, writing good songs is what it's all about.
Kampel Destruction
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Vaggelis wrote:
Avenger wrote:

Quite irrelevant.
Over-Technicity is crap and 90% just a simple technicity does a lot of harm.That's the reason why thrash metal after 1986-87 had few bands worthing because all the thrash out there wanted to be more commercial so thinked better productions and technicity is the solution.
You contradict yourself here. Tech-Thrash and commercial appeal are complete opposites. The general public that does no more to dig for bands then turn on the local radio will have no interest in a band like say Coroner. The unorthodox song structures alone and the lack of repeating the chorus 500 times in 5 minutes will not have appeal to the general public.

I agree with Herkus Monte in that the small circle of bands like for example Hexenhaus were more a scene among musicians and a small-dedicated fan-base. The music is not at all commercial in regards to being radio friendly.

Regarding the Thrash after ’86-’87 comment being lack-luster, that isn’t really an argument that I can retort to as it’s a matter of taste, but I personally think you are missing out on a LOT of gems.
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

Avenger wrote:[

You contradict yourself here. Tech-Thrash and commercial appeal are complete opposites.
You think so. :lol:
Look around you all that modern thrash metal from 90's 00's and tell me the main 2 recipes.

Coroner are one of that bands which i can't stand. :twisted:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Vaggelis wrote:
Avenger wrote:[

You contradict yourself here. Tech-Thrash and commercial appeal are complete opposites.
You think so. :lol:
Look around you all that modern thrash metal from 90's 00's and tell me the main 2 recipes.

Coroner are one of that bands which i can't stand. :twisted:
I'm talking about Thrash from the period that's relevant to this sites content, the 80's. Who actually listens to Thrash from the mid-90's and 00's?

Aside from that, just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's commercial.

Commercial music is marketed specifically for the masses and the only goal behind the music is to become popular and to make money selling a huge amount of copies. You can't tell me that say Despair fits into that category. The band lacks all appeal to the general public.