Raven vs Anvil

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which band do you prefer?

Raven
23%
Anvil
44%
Both
25%
None
9%

Total votes: 57

GJ

Raven vs Anvil

Post by GJ »

I just bought the new Raven offering and came to think about my early, pre-thrash, pre-speed metal experiences where these two band along with Motörhead and Tank was the hardest rocking/most energetic metal you could ask for. Later, of course, they've been acknowledged as important catalysators in the creation of aforementioned subgenres.

What are your opinions on these bands? What are their weak/strong points? The classics, the poop? Historically important but were/are they musically relevant then, today and forever? Memories of your first aquaintance to their music?

Oh, and I made it a poll - have fun!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Wow, man ! That's a hard one ! I love both, so I'll vote "Both" !!! With a slight preference for ANVIL. If ANVIL has released some average albums throughout their whole carreer, they never released bad albums, and RAVEN does. They released two bad albums, the awful "The Pack is Back" and "Stay Hard" which is hardly better. But, they're both great bands !!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

This is pretty easy for me. I sure like the Raven albums alot but Anvil's Forged In Fire is some of my alltime favourite metal. Would be in my top 40 HM records list. If I had to choose would I rather live without Raven or Anvil I wouldn't waste a blink of an eye. It's funny though.. Both bands released THREE albums I care to listen to (as omen of hate said Anvil never went as bad as Raven though).
Last edited by The Erlking on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
mordred

Post by mordred »

Anvil for sure! Freakin' great band. Raven always struck me as mediocre. Not bad but not spectacular either. I have the albums Rock Until You Drop, Wiped Out, All for One, Life's a Bitch and Architect of Fear.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I think Raven's above mediocre but not as much as Anvil. I concider Raven's debut album a minor classic.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Satannick

Post by Satannick »

ANVIL for sure. The music, the spirit, the lyrics... I just worship that band! They were one of the first good metal bands I've seen live (when I was 16) and they impressed me so much.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

ANVIL easily, never cared much about RAVEN
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I'm not gonna buck the trend either, it's ANVIL for me too, no question.
When i got "Hard'n'Heavy" and "Metal On Metal" back in the day, i was sure that Metal couldn't get any Heavier or faster. They were the top dogs, hands down for a brief moment around 1982/83.
No disrespect to Raven, i enjoy their early stuff, but for influence, consistency, longevity and classic songs, Anvil are streets ahead.
It's great for the band that they're finally being awarded some long overdue respect and kudos, i hope it translates into sales for them.
They've certainly earned it.
GJ

Post by GJ »

I can't say that either of these bands belong to my all time faves but both bands are very likeable for some reason. It may be both having this really distinct song writing and somewhat weird-styled vocals which may make them non-pleasant listening for some (including me sometimes). Still both Lips and John Gallagher has really original voices and they always have sung like they don't care about any trends or competition which is something I do respect and encourage.

Today Raven's on top but it might change - guess I need to borrow the full Anvil discography from my brother...

Had to vote both.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Anvil made more than 3 great albums...the only good Raven album for me is All For One specially having UDO as backing vocals, i think thats what made it more attractive to me, other than that,they just have one or 2 songs outside that album really worth headbanging to...as simple as that
Keir

Post by Keir »

ION BRITTON wrote:ANVIL easily, never cared much about RAVEN
Same here.

Back in my early metal days I actually used to get these 2 bands confused all the time. Mostly because I had not heard much of either and they have 5 letters in their name with a V in the middle...
pzman

Post by pzman »

Whoa...cant believe Raven's getting a bad rep here. Just curious guys, whats wrong with albums like Rock until you drop, Wiped Out, All For One and Architect of Fear? I cant see how they arent 'worth headbanging'...anyways for me Raven are one of the definitive NWOBHM bands and one of the first metal bands that i came to know of. Regarding Anvil i havent really heard a lot of their stuff except for Metal on Metal and the classic Forged In Fire. Both bands are great but since its a vote i'd have to go for Raven.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

pzman wrote:Whoa...cant believe Raven's getting a bad rep here. Just curious guys, whats wrong with albums like Rock until you drop, Wiped Out, All For One

Nothing really. As I said I concider Rock until you drop a minor classic but for me Metal on Metal, Forged in Fire and Pound for Pound is a lot better trio.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

haha who voted "none"?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I'm really not that familiar with Anvil so I did not vote. I do really like Raven though.