What's your baddest/most stupid buy on eBay or elsewhere ?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
tbieri

What's your baddest/most stupid buy on eBay or elsewhere ?

Post by tbieri »

Here is mine ! I've buyed this LP about 10 years ago !
It's from Argentina, from 1984 and was filed under Heavy Metal !
Looks great, isn't it ? OK, there is a keyboard on the cover, this means danger for shure, but i immediately was thinking; WOAAHH! this must sound like EL DRAGON's Mascarra de hierro, something like DEEP PURPLE on speed you know ?!
But in the end it was just some crappy Disco sound ! I've payed around $ 40.- plus shipping of course ! :cry:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

SHELDER - God Of Vikings for €200 on ebay, on an impulse because of the cover art and Doom/Epic descripitons - I had never heard it at the time. Shortly after it turned up everywhere for €50-€80.

@tbieri: That sleeve is ALMOST worth the price alone :lol:
anthares

Post by anthares »

DaN wrote: @tbieri: That sleeve is ALMOST worth the price alone :lol:
It sure is! I would get that because of that any day!

Krrhm... any possibility to hear some samples of that album? :roll: I am sucker for some sort of disco too.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

I have another one ! It's the second most expensive record i've ever buyed ! WYXMER - The Syre of.... for 200.- Euros it was rereleased on Vinyl 1 !!! Month later !
It's not that dramatic because i really love the music on it and really needed to have it at that time !
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

It's not that bad, and I don't even remember what record is was, but I put the first bit on some item and forgot about it. Then a week later I got the notice I'd won it. The problem wasn't even the price of item, but the high shipping cost made me regret it.

I don't make ridiculously high bids on items, so I'm safer in that department than you guys.
mordred

Post by mordred »

That album sleeve would have fooled anyone! :D
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
faster

Post by faster »

I have bought a lot of stupid and far too expansive records on swedish site Tradera friday and saturday night after a couple of glases of red wine.
Latest is an Australian Zeppelin 10x7" box for 80€ that I already had.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I´ve payed way to much for DARK HAZE - Five Years EP, can't remember how much exactly, maybe 20€+shipping costs or even more. I thought, hey great, a private pressed German metal monster...well, not quite in the end :cry:

I guess that happenes to most of us more than once, but no one wants to confess it on a internet forum.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i keep myself restrained,the most extreme buy i ever did was excess the fatal touch for 175 euro and then i started crying.then i saw what it goes for on lists and i started laughing
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

DaN wrote: @tbieri: That sleeve is ALMOST worth the price alone :lol:
Agreed !

I paid a shitload for the second Medieval Demo. Well it was listed for 200$ and in an impulse I sent an offer for 80$ and got it. I didnt really expected it to be accepted but there. On the other hand it's a bloody great demo so I don't really regret it...I just think I might have gotten it much cheaper if I waited.

But the dumbest move was probably the Master's Hammer 1990 demo for 60$ . I looked real in the auction but apart from the tape itself looking genuinely old and stuff, I noticed the inlay itself looks pretty shabby after i recieved it, blurry and with a strange purple tone. Guess it's a bootleg but not really sure
Well at least the sound quality is better than any rip on the net and it even has the finished demo on the b side
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:I´ve payed way to much for DARK HAZE - Five Years EP, can't remember how much exactly, maybe 20€+shipping costs or even more. I thought, hey great, a private pressed German metal monster...well, not quite in the end :cry:

I guess that happenes to most of us more than once, but no one wants to confess it on a internet forum.
20.- Euros is not really a drama i think. This indeed happened dozens of times to me ! It's the price for a new CD in Switzerland, so this risk i take with pleasure ! I like to recieve a package without knowing what to expect ! :lol: Sometimes you're happy, sometimes not !
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

MassOfKthulu wrote:i keep myself restrained,the most extreme buy i ever did was excess the fatal touch for 175 euro and then i started crying.then i saw what it goes for on lists and i started laughing
Hmm, i do not really understand ! This is not that muched overpriced !
Where did you see that for much cheaper ??? I would take it immediately for a price below 100.- !
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Bought Vyber s/t LP as thrash ...
And some ultra expensive thrash CDs but for the most time those were my top wanted items ...

I just bought two CDs without ever hearing them, that aren't listed on the archives and described as thrash, so I hope for the best ;)

Grimlock - Neurotic Facade (I also saw it labeled as jazz, but it's listed on Roco's thrashmetal.info collection list)
Blackend - Unknown World (Swedish band from 1994, Local Hero Music, seller's description: Ultra rare Swedish very high quality Bay Area style old school thrash metal. Razorsharp riffing and overall great musicianship. Do not confuse this band with the German band of the same name. This band hailed from Halmstad in the south of Sweden and this great-sounding 3-song release was recorded at the famous Tits N Ass-studio by Mats Persson (Gyllene Tider-guitarist/producer) who does Per Gessle's/ROXETTE's demos. Nearly impossible to find. Mint condition.)
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Spending a shitload of cash on crap NWOBHM 7"s like the Aurora 7" and Dragonslayer 7". Gladly I could trade them for better things.
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Sentinel wrote:..crap/.../Dragonslayer...
2 words I don't like seeing in the same sentence :evil: