Unknown/Unreleased 80s Australian Heavy Metal

Share rare mp3s with forum members. PLZ READ UPDATE!
Nicko McBuff

Unknown/Unreleased 80s Australian Heavy Metal

Post by Nicko McBuff »

There will be more to come over the next couple of weeks if I get more feedback than thrashfageddon trolls.

TRAITOR from Adelaide. 7 Originals, 1984. Live.

I think you will agree they have some killer heavy metal tracks like the must hear song Traitor ! They put on a good stage show and they have the crowd really going with their originals in between Judas Priest, UFO, Accept, Rainbow, MSG, Iron Maiden and Thin Lizzy covers. They also look tough and mean wearing NWOBHM like stripped stage outfits. Now the only Lineup information I have on this band is that vocalist is Phil Woodley. He later moved to Sydney where he sang for another band who never released anything, ASSASIN. I'm currently attempting to get in contact with him..

I've ripped the audio from dvd footage into Audacity. I've tried to make it more listenable. There was only one channel on this one so I've duplicated it, made it left and right and amplified it. There may be a click here and there caused by my PC)

http://www.mediafire.com/?rxwnmnydwju

Upload 2.
GODSPEED from Sydney. Unreleased session/demos? 8 tracks.

The following music I think is amazing, melodic, grand and unlike anything produced from Australia. It pains me as to why a LP was never released. This is a must hear! Not from footage this time, a CDR.

LINK REMOVED, RELEASED BY THE BAND ONLINE http://www.quarterpiperecords.com/Talen ... dspeed.htm

The founder of this band and songwriter of this gem is Michael Allan, who plays all guitars and bass. He even hired the Sydney Mens Choir for one song. The remaining lineup for these first 4 from '84 is Keiran Cullen on Drums and Steve Shotton on Vocals (who was also in Assasin and Shy Thunder/White Widow who supported Dio with Boss in 1986). Godspeed existed with various lineup's until the late 80's. The first two tracks from this session feature on compilation entitled Thunda Down Under* with good tracks from LOTUS and LIGHTNING ROCK. (The comp was launched at the Hordern Pavilion with a gig featuring Lightning Rock, Lotus and Godspeed. )

01. Lest We Forget --- a tribute to Randy Rhoads ---
02. We Are Forever
03. Long Live Metal
04. Til Death Do Us Part

The next 4 songs recorded in 1986 featured the live line-up with Michael Allan on guitar, Keiran on drums, Michael "Doc" Evans on guitar, Peter Schenker on bass, and on vocals Dave Crompton who was previously in Killer/Surrender. 'Falling' features on Surrender's LP also (the average song here IMO).

05. Flight Of The Pheonix
06. Bound For Glory
07. Godspeed
08. Falling

There's another session with 3 tracks but its wimpy Phil Collin's like crap so I won't upload it. "Michael and the Doc then went to the US to try to get something going there but a tarot card reader convinced the Doc that Michael was evil and it all fell apart!"- Michael Keating, ENTICER, who supplied me with the GODSPEED cdr and info.

TITAN

Here's another hard punching Metal band from Adelaide. They go by the name of Titan. This is taken from footage at a club in Adelaide, late 1983. With solid heavy battle metal hitters like NO ARMOUR and THE ANSWER CALLS you wonder why they never recorded an album!

3. TITAN. DOWNLOAD 7 tracks
http://www.mediafire.com/?vimzidnolly

After this the band relocated to Sydney and went in a more commercial Hard Rock direction, you will hear this when you look at their detailed band history on the guitarists myspace, link... http://www.myspace.com/titanhayes Wimpy songs, what happened?! He never did reply to my message about the old style of the band in my upload. Maybe you can help pester him to put some heavy demos up.
Last edited by Nicko McBuff on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

A huge thanks for this, I'll download all this week-end !
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I've never dug that deep into the Australian scene. This will definitely be of educational value. I'll give this stuff a shot. Very much appreciated.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Sounds interesting. What is needed to play the footage? I've never meesed much with video files, so I don't know what file formats require realplayer vs windows media player vs whatever else there is. Thanks for any info
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Hey nightsblood, I didn't mean to confuse you... this is the audio ripped from the video footage into mp3 (except for GS). I hope it arouses interest in these heavy forgotten aussie pub acts and more can follow.
Last edited by Nicko McBuff on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Thanks. I'm just downloading them right now and will listen to them this weekend.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
daniel

Post by daniel »

TRAITOR:

Quite strong, at least ‘Rock You To The Ground’, which ironically turns out to be most metal and up my alley, after that it all gets a little too rocking. There’s a NWOBHM:y feel to the material. Cool to hear, but if they had a vinyl out it would make no difference to me whether I ever owned it or not.

TITAN:

First it sounded like it might be thrashy, but thankfully it is not. ‘No Place To Hide’- great. Cool riff starts ‘Flesh And Fire’ off, sounds good, good driving rhythm, like it cos this band is more reminiscent of US metal bands haha. Unfortunately the material once again became less interesting as the setlist progressed… There’s definitely promise there, but slightly too bland material.

GODSPEED:

Straight away it is clear this band’s energy is on a completely different level than the other 2, there is a sweeping epic feel to the first track, solely based on this first number I can say I’d hunt hard for a potential LP by these guys. And then the fucking goosebump-inducing mid-section starts! The solo isn’t anything amazing(not that I could play it haha, but…), it isn’t annoying though and melodic solos always trump wankery. Good return to the chorus. … Ok, the ´86 stuff doesn’t do anything for me. So another great release from the magical year of 1984! Thanks a lot for this one :)
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Thanks for the feedback Daniel. Yes that 1984 session is stellar! 2 of the tracks from that can be found on a compilation. I think all 4 would of been worthy of an EP, but sadly nothing like that never came about. The 86 material grew on me. It's not as great but its still good imo.

203 views 6 comments. Weak!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Nicko McBuff wrote:203 views 6 comments. Weak!
No need to get upset, it happens all the time and sometimes at worse ratios.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
steelangel

Post by steelangel »

ArgH !! Fantastic stuff for sure !! :D Thank you very much !!
Heavy Metal is my Pride. I've got Metal in my Blood. Uncompromising REAL Heavy Metal is all I need. Hail to all Brothers of EPIC HEAVY METAL !!
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

I'm very excited about this! Thumbs up to people who brings the real new stuff to us. Really appreciate it. Downloading Godspeed right now and will leave a comment later.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I grabbed the stuff, didn't listen to it yet, but I've check this thread a couple of time to see if you added more metal, so it is typical these high counts. Obscure stuff like this is great! thanks.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

When I download stuff I often don't have a chance to listen to it right away or in most cases until a couple months down the road. So much Metal and so little free time I'm afraid.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

GODSPEED is an instant killer for me, very passionate style. Thanks for sharing the music and the info! Appreciate it very much :).
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I've finally had the time to listen to some of the stuff you've uploaded.
Very interesting stuff, once again, thanks a lot !!

TITAN : solid straight HM. My favorite tracks are "The Answer Calls" (the fastest track, on the border of speed metal) and "No Armour" (I love the opening riff, maybe the most epic tune, it sometimes reminds me of LIEGE LORD). The other tracks are good, except "Some Day" which is (imo) the weakest track of the set.

I'm curious : does some studio material exists ?

GODSPEED : Interesting band ! I prefer the 86 session."Bound for Glory" and "Godspeed" kills ! "Bound for Glory" is a great epic track, good intro and amazing guitar work !! "Godspeed" is my fave, great ballad with some prog touches.
From the 84 session, my fave is the first track "Lest we Forget". "We are Forever" and "Long Live Metal" would have been better if the choruses were'nt so weak.

I haven't listened to TRAITOR yet.