Texas Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Erlking

Texas Metal

Post by The Erlking »

ION BRITTON wrote:
The Erlking wrote:Sorry for offtopic but was there a thread about texas metal scene in general? I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to this stuff so I'd like to read about it.
I don't think we have a texas metal related thread. Feel free to open one, the scene is really huge, and with plenty of killer bands.
So here you can post opinions, recommendions, general talk about texas heavy metal.

As I said I'm not very familiar with the scene but my big favourites are Watchtower, S.A.Slayer, Riper, Helstar, Militia and Solitude Aeturnus. So what should I listen to get a good picture of the scene. Is there a common sound that most of the bands share?

Oh and no Pantera touts! :lol:
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

probably one of the most original sounding scenes from the US, and not sure if theres a common sound that those bands share, but sure theres something that makes them special and puts them aside from, lets say, L.A. bands...i can say they had a neat technical approach in their way of playing HM for example

check out Syrus and Chozzen Phate ASAP!

and yes S.A. Slayer could be my all times fave too :D
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Mhh, always liked S.A. SLAYER, but maybe not as much as you guys. Very good, but not that outstanding in my ears.

My faves:

OBLIVION KNIGHT - Demo `87 or the Re-release
HELSTAR - the first four
KING'S RANSOM - Curators of the Realm
ASSALANT - The Damage Is Done (the one with Mike Soliz on vox)
WYZARD - Knights of metal (no, i don't own the original, don't bother asking)
FINAL ASSAULT
JUGGERNAUT
can't remember more at the moment...has anyone ever heard the METAL MERCHANT EP? If so, i'd really like to know how they sound like.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The Eldritch Rite demo that recently got reissued is worth mentioning as well. A weird demo that goes on my nerves but pleases me at the same time.
Long Live The Loud !!!
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i own the original wyzard ep but dont bother asking either (like anyone cares)
ouf what can i say.Today i got hold of an original Fiarro demo and i remembered how great that is!
Syrus,all time fave texas release along with Helstar's Nosferatu.Kings ransom is near.the list is endless.did anyone hear One of 6ixx?? perfect ancient Fates Warning worship.
I always wondered if its texas metal or 'mexican metal that crossed the rio grande without permits' metal.literally everyone playing in these bands is of mexican descent.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Aggressor
Final Xit

8)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

MassOfKthulu wrote:I always wondered if its texas metal or 'mexican metal that crossed the rio grande without permits' metal.literally everyone playing in these bands is of mexican descent.
Good question, but why mexican metal didn't sound like texas metal? No matter how many great bands Mexico spawned, i can't think of any of them that sounded for example like Watchtower or Helstar. Great musicians with different influences i guess.

I don't know from where the hell should i start. The list is really big and i am afraid i might forget some bands. Besides the most important and well-known ones, here's some of my favourites:

OBLIVION KNIGHT - Demo 1987
FINAL ASSAULT - Both demos
SYRUS - S-777 demo
KARIAN - anything
SENTINEL - Demo 1986
MILITIA - Regiments of death demo
ASSALANT - Damage is done demo with Soliz
KINGS RANSOM - Curators of the realm
VENGEANCE - Demo 1989
WICKED ANGEL - Chaotic Intellect Demo 1987
SCYTHIAN OATH - Shadow Of The Torturer Demo 1985
CYBERKULTUR - Synthesis Demo 1989

and of course the mighty NECROVORE and MORBID SCREAM.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

My most spontaneous candidate for Texas' Finest would be RIPPER's debut. [insert endless line of the same old superlatives here]

I need to check out texasmetalunderground.com some more for reminders. Fucking awesome site btw..
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

MassOfKthulu wrote:did anyone hear One of 6ixx?? perfect ancient Fates Warning worship.
Yeah, that rings a bell. Fantastic demo, it's really a shame that they didn't released anything since.

Another treat, especially for the CD collectors, are AGRESSOR with "By Any Means Necessary", fast and aggressive, good album.

metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

pantera :lol:
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Absu are great.
texasmetalunderground

Post by texasmetalunderground »

I don't think there was really one "Texas metal" sound that was common to most bands. It was more of a regional thing. The distances between major cities is so great that a band from San Antonio wouldn't necessarily be influenced by what was happening in Houston or Dallas.

I'm surprised more haven't mentioned Karian with S.A. Slayer's original singer Chris Cronk. He also sang on the great Talisphere demo.

Some really great stuff has already been mentioned. Here are some favorites that haven't been mentioned yet:

ACRIDITY
ARCANE
BAD HEAVEN
BARON STEELE
BASILISK
BOSS TWEED
ETERNAL FATE
MEDDALLION
MERCYNARY
MOX NIX
VALKYRIE
etc, etc....
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

texasmetalunderground wrote: BAD HEAVEN
BASILISK
BOSS TWEED
ETERNAL FATE
MEDDALLION
MERCYNARY
Those names are completely new to me, i will check them out, if i get a chance to :D. Thanks!

MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

fuck! i didnt knwo Acridity was from Texas!? :shock: ...how i wish to have that godly demo one of these days....
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:fuck! i didnt knwo Acridity was from Texas!? :shock: ...how i wish to have that godly demo one of these days....
I actually used to own that tape. Always thought they were Canadian? Or maybe I confuse them w/ some other band..