High-end Japanese audiophile cd madness

...and all CD issues goes here.
In The Raw

High-end Japanese audiophile cd madness

Post by In The Raw »

A little background.

A huge part of my cd metal collection is on Japanese issues. Back in the days I first started collecting the Japanese were sometimes the first to release crucial metal albums on cd like "Death Penalty" the first 2 WITCHFYNDE albums and FIST's "Back With A Vengeance".

These issues were often later supplanted in quality by Euro versions that had bonus tracks and better mastering.

The latest twist is that the Japanese are going on a wild tear with a bunch of VERY (up to $40 a disc) expensive reissues of some classic nwobhm albums in the new SHM format. These are faithful repros of the original vinyl pressings with all inserts and original packaging beautifully duplicated.

SHM discs are supposed to sound better than regular cds (though no special equipment is needed) but even audiophiles cannot agree on this.

How does this relate to metal collecting? Well, I almost busted a rib laughing when I saw that the Japanese have released SHM cds of the first 2 VENOM albums. Those albums are all-time favorites of mine but while I think they sound like they were recorded in a toilet bowl I still love the raw production and thats one of the things that makes them great.

Now the Japanese have dressed them up in a fancy new format thats probably better suited to YES reissues and it makes me wonder who the market for these is? Is is collector's who just dig the limited numbers and beautiful miniature reproduction of the original vinyl, or is there actually some crazy audiophile metalhead who thinks that "Black Metal" is suddenly going to sound as good as "Close to the Edge"?

Now I have the STAMPEDE - "Official Bootleg" SHM cd - and while it sounds really nice the main reason I got it is that its the first cd release for that material. It also has the "days Of Wine And Roses" ep tracks and in a really nice touch repros all of the original artwork from both releases. I also have RAVEN's "Wiped Out" which sounds good (but not much different from the original Neat cd remaster) because I needed another copy and decided to splurge.

Those VENOMS still crack me up though - whats next? Some HELLHAMMER? Too funny.
"On your feet, or on your knees"
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I have those Jap SHM re-issues of those 3 Venom albums - BM, WTH & Hell, (b'cos I buy everything Venom) & I can't tell the difference in sound quality!!!
I do have a very good CD player & if anything the sound is a bit smoother than the typical Neat or Pricekillers pressing that's all I can tell...

I think it's just another excuse to re-issue something??

The amount of times 'Demons & Wizards' has been re-issued is a joke!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Here's the definition of SHM-CD:

The high quality SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing, SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players. Experience the high-fidelity audio quality of the SHM-CD format on this page: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/rcms/music/shm ... 10_29.html
daniel

Post by daniel »

Waste of material.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Korgüll wrote:Here's the definition of SHM-CD:

The high quality SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing, SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players. Experience the high-fidelity audio quality of the SHM-CD format on this page: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/rcms/music/shm ... 10_29.html
Do you work for them Korgy??? :)
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

No. I just cut & paste the info from CD Japan that I sometimes buy stuff from.

Actually I just listened to Welcome To Hell & it DOES sound different!!!

Each instrument is much clearer & the overall sound level is more even, I actually heard some odd things here & there I never noticed before
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Korgüll wrote:No. I just cut & paste the info from CD Japan that I sometimes buy stuff from.

Actually I just listened to Welcome To Hell & it DOES sound different!!!

Each instrument is much clearer & the overall sound level is more even, I actually heard some odd things here & there I never noticed before
I'm intrigued mate, please tell us more.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
gigadeth

Post by gigadeth »

i am not interested in such SHM CDs even if they have clearer sound.
i love more black and white old photo with some stains than high quality photo taken by digital camera.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

cdjapan wrote:SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head.
This part set off some "hi-fi woo" alarmbells for me. I can't say I know much about how the read-error mechanism works in modern CD-players, but I find it hard to believe that a few less corrected bytes of data would make an audible difference. Who knows more?
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Is it the case with 24k Gold CDs as well? Seems like a gimmick to me, though a nice looking one not really necessary.
I'm asking since I'm keen to get Horde Of Gog on Gold CD. It's not the best produced album as well
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well