Bands everybody else labels as mediocre but you love anyways

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
VictimeDelExil

Re: Bands everybody else labels as mediocre but you love anyways

Post by VictimeDelExil »

DaN wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:12 am
VictimeDelExil wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:49 am Glory Bells Band is definitely one of those bands where it's somewhat mediocre, so understandable why a lot of people would rate them that way, but their good songs have really catchy hooks and great riffs.
Fate isn't exactly top-shelf AOR but I like the atmosphere on their first couple albums, they also had good hooks.
Nightmare is a band that is rated a lot lower than Sortilege, ADX, Blaspheme, etc. but IMO they are at the top-shelf of straight-forward French HM along with Attentat Rock.
Both the French Nightmare and Glory Bells suffered from the same ailment in my book: Slightly annoying vocals. As in a bit too nasal. Other than that I'd agree that the music in pretty much up to snuff.
Yeah I'd agree there. I do actually like both the original singers of Nightmare, but I can understand how some would find the vocals to be a bit obnoxious. Most French Metal singers in general seem to suffer from sounding a bit nasally in tone.

As for Glory Bells, I always thought his voice was comedic.
Toputa

Re: Bands everybody else labels as mediocre but you love anyways

Post by Toputa »

great_knuthulhu wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:55 am Just read your review, Dan. Totally agree with the comparisons. Listening to Kratos right now, hearing some Lester Maddox in there (which is surely a coincidence, probably in recording and production). Chainsaw is a great track - pure mayhem. Not Mayhem though, more Venom or Motorhead.
Hey Dan,
just finished reading your review. Completely on board with the comparisons you drew. Currently immersed in Kratos, catching some Lester Maddox vibes – likely coincidental, perhaps in the recording and production.नरेगा ग्राम पंचायत list