Metal from the Land of Ire

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nabel

Post by nabel »

Depending on point of view, Sweet Savage (from Northern Ireland)! Atleast that Irishrock.org have them listed.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Ezy Meat were not my cup of tea at all.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:And BLACKWYCH with their "Out of control" LP, which i don't like.
It does have some fucking badass cover art though...

You beat me to this one; it was going to be my mention.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I'm trying to think here.... There was the *In God's Own Image* compilation series - V/A, I think there were three altogether of those. There was a 90s band called Doomsgame who had a mini LP out, then there is of course Thin Lizzy, demo bands I can remember are few: Septic Snails, Fifth Dominion, Lamentations, Mind's Eye come to mind... There was nothing in Ireland in the 80s. You must remember that it was a time of recession, mass unemployment, mass emigration, nobody had anything! Watch the film *The Commitments* and anything by Roddy Doyle should give you an idea of what it was like.

I shall find out more
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Avenger wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:And BLACKWYCH with their "Out of control" LP, which i don't like.
That's true! Surely one of the best.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Avenger wrote:
That's true! Surely one of the best.
I'll join in on that. The album is forgettable though, and some times it seems they didn't quite know what they were doing.

Didn't know Ezy Meat were Irish, but they're not that good either.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I always thought PRIMORDIAL were quite decent!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Has anyone heard the 2nd EZY MEAT album? The 1st one did absolutely nothing to me. Is it in the same vein? An upload would be much appreciated.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

ION BRITTON wrote:Has anyone heard the 2nd EZY MEAT album? The 1st one did absolutely nothing to me. Is it in the same vein? An upload would be much appreciated.
I have the "Rock your Brains" album. Yes, it's in the same vein. Rather average NWOBHM stuff. I'll upload it later today.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Re: Primordial: - they are great - the new album slays! Waylander I'm not too crazy about but some people like them, Mael Mordha are really great, Morning Beloveth, Cruachan (old material), Gama Bomb, Darkest Era are amzing - check them out!! oh I just remembered an old 90s Death Metal band called Tricifix - they were really good, never got past demo stage.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

EZY MEAT's "Not For Wimps" is a classic, while"Rock Your Brains"has its good parts...moreover "Rocking The Colosseum" is a nice comp with live recordings and a demo track, I like them! :twisted:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
msp

Post by msp »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:Re: Primordial: - they are great - the new album slays!
Is the correct answer!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:There was nothing in Ireland in the 80s. You must remember that it was a time of recession, mass unemployment, mass emigration, nobody had anything! Watch the film *The Commitments* and anything by Roddy Doyle should give you an idea of what it was like.
I guess that makes sense. Too much reality can't be good for the Heavy Metal spirit :(

Many of the bands mentioned are featured in the NWOBHM Encyclopedia, so I guess that would make them Northern Irish? Kinda makes me curious which band(s) could be cosidered the first bona-fide Heavy Metal band from The Republic Of Ireland. After all they did spawn THIN LIZZY, so you'd think at least a handful of kids would carry the torch into the 80's.

...and PRIMORDIAL are indeed amazing. So bloody great it hurts.

There was the *In God's Own Image* compilation series - V/A, I think there were three altogether of those.
80's HM or later, more brutal stuff?
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

Well I must say I really like the output from Ireland back in the 80's....maybe it's the fact that so few bands were doing it back then but EZY MEAT first album is excellent I think and the second is okish. BLACKWYCH "out of control" is an album which I really like and also DRIVESHAFT were from Cork and the first band I ever saw live when they supported SAXON in Cork back in 83. Gerry Lane the vocalist with them now has a blues bar in the Canary islands...
Other bands that appeared on the Green metal compilation did very little outside of that bar a single or so...
Another band from N. Ireland who were around in the mid 80's and I thought they were pretty good was WHITE ROXX and their demo "on the roxx" actually good stuff and not quite as glammy as their name suggests.
The thing with many of these acts around in the early to mid 80's is that they had some influences that leaned more towards Rory Gallagher and the blues as much as the NWOBHM which may not appeal to your avaerage metal fan but I like myself .It wasn't really until 88 or so when things began to take a turn for the better with more bands influenced by the whole thrash thing appearing and you got stuff like CHROMATIC DEATH [later MORAL CRUSADE remember their lp?],JUDGMENT, KEMI KILL, KILLER WATT, ASPHYXIA [Later became MORPHOSIS]. A few of them good at the time like KILLER WATT and ASPHYXIA but other stuff hasn't aged so well.
I guess there is truth in what Piotr said in relation to the economic state of Ireland back in the 80's and the effect it had on the metal here or lack thereof.
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DaN wrote:Many of the bands mentioned are featured in the NWOBHM Encyclopedia, so I guess that would make them Northern Irish?
Aye. Ezy Meat were a Norn Iron band, from County Armagh.

Anyone fancy uploading the Asphyxia/Morphosis & Tricifix demos?
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."