Metal from the Land of Ire

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Noisenik wrote:
mordred wrote:SWEET SAVAGE would deserve a mention methinks...
Ouch! I completely forgot them. My memory, where have you gone?
Yeah me too I have killing time laying around it has to be one of the best irish bands, I remember listening to it over and over,does anyone have anymore info about killing time? it was released in 1996, but it doesn't seem like it could be recorded then is it some type of collection of unreleased tracks or something I'm sort of confused.
AxeCrazy

Post by AxeCrazy »

FenderMedium wrote:Yeah me too I have killing time laying around it has to be one of the best irish bands, I remember listening to it over and over,does anyone have anymore info about killing time? it was released in 1996, but it doesn't seem like it could be recorded then is it some type of collection of unreleased tracks or something I'm sort of confused.
I'm fairly certain that Killing Time was recorded in 95-96, but it contains a lot of their older tunes re-recorded. The tracks Killing Time, Eye Of The Storm, Prospector of Greed, The Raid and Ground Zero are all from the early 80s.

If you like Sweet Savage, I suggest you search for them on eBay. Trev Fleming has been selling CDRs of the original Sweet Savage recordings. They're very well done, and worth the money, IMO. It's too bad they never recorded an album back then. If so, it would be up there with Maiden and Angel Witch.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

What about this rumour that a lot of SWEET SAVAGE demo tracks turned into DIO songs? I've never investigated this but perhaps someone else here has?
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Darkest Era (formerly known as Nemesis) from Northern Ireland:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =182406207
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

wicked keeper wrote:Darkest Era (formerly known as Nemesis) from Northern Ireland:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =182406207
Have checked them out. not bad at all. some potential.
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Critical wrote:Primordial are one of the best Metal bands in the world. If you're looking for bands in a similar direction, the biggest ones which come to mind are:

Mael Mordha - http://www.myspace.com/maelmorda

Waylander - http://www.myspace.com/clanwaylander
(Their second album 'The Light, The Dark, and the Endless Knot' in particular, for that Black/Celtic feel)

You might also want to look into Karnayna and Geasa.
Thanx for those. I've been listening to both of them on&off at work this last week. I'm really getting into Mael Mordha - the way they combinde Doom, Folk and a bit of BM, it worked a whole lot better for me than I would have thought had I just heard the description. Waylander on the other hand wasn't really my back. Their mix of folk & BM felt a bit too blatant. I miss the fingerspitzgefül of Mael Mordha and Primordial here, and I've always had a hard time w/ standard BM vocals.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Have you ever tried Cruachan's - Tuatha Na Gael?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

FenderMedium wrote:Have you ever tried Cruachan's - Tuatha Na Gael?
Nope. Any clips out there?
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... a+Gael.htm

These clips really don't do it justice.

I think the other albums may have too many female vocals for your taste.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

second time this happened I don't know if I clicked the button too many times but I got this error.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\thecorroseum\phpbb2\includes\smtp.php on line 34
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

not bad stuffs actually. Irish folk BM prototype. Original version is the recorded in the vein of Metal From Hell. Well, almost. The remastered one I haven't heard. Well, if you like Primordial, you may find this ok too. I guess they are better than Waylander though they share members.
Last edited by Noisenik on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

FenderMedium wrote:second time this happened I don't know if I clicked the button too many times but I got this error.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\thecorroseum\phpbb2\includes\smtp.php on line 34
Never seen this message before. Did it happen when you were trying to post?
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Yes it was a page load problem I guess.
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Noisenik wrote:
not bad stuffs actually. Irish folk BM prototype. Original version is the recorded in the vein of Metal From Hell. Well, almost. The remastered one I haven't heard. Well, if you like Primordial, you may find this ok too. I guess they are better than Waylander though they share members.
Fantastic killer near perfect album and a must to hear!!! I love their debut it crushes. Its true the sound is awful, but the music is so intense and its really something different, a forgotten masterpiece! I wouldn't even call it BM, it has a strong thrash edge, and above that the most out-of-tune flute I ever heard I think, and some of the best songwriting in decades!

The later albums are not bad either, but much more tranquil and a bit boring, just not that METAL with all the folky stuff and those boring female vox, no match for TUATHA.

I need to check the re-recorded version, but generally new recordings, even with mucho improved sound, are almost always a let-down for me. It's the SPIRIT that cant be reproduced in most cases.
We praise the blood that metal brings
tearitup1234

Post by tearitup1234 »

DaN wrote:What about this rumour that a lot of SWEET SAVAGE demo tracks turned into DIO songs? I've never investigated this but perhaps someone else here has?
The opening riff of Sweet Savage's Straight Through the Heart is the same riff that's found in Dio's Caught in the Middle.