Bands everyone loves but you hate

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
daniel

Post by daniel »

For all their new ideas they didn't produce too many raging thrash classics though did they. I don't care about dissecting the scene, simply put there are just too many other bands with too many good songs that make you instantly headbang without having to 'get' the band for Voivod to be anywhere near 'masters' in my eyes. A defined scene is not about pushing the envelope anyway, if bands want to be progressive, fine, but bands sticking to the 'rules' are in no way worse for doing so.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

One thing to remember is, other bands sound like Voivod... Voivod sounds like no one!
Innovators & masters of thrash!!!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

Korgüll wrote:One thing to remember is, other bands sound like Voivod... Voivod sounds like no one!
Innovators & masters of thrash!!!
Masters of technical thrash maybe.But that is a hateful term for my likings.
Messerschmitt

Post by Messerschmitt »

Avenger wrote:
Messerschmitt wrote:Another band that I always felt is "vocally challenged", in a manner of speaking. :wink:
Oh, how I must restrain from commenting on this for the sake of having the french speakers in the east getting upset with me.
Your comment is highly appreciated :) !
Reality is that which, once you stop believing in it, doesn't go away
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

bigfootkit wrote: The thing about Voivod that i always loved is that their sound changed dramatically from one album to the next, and i admit there are a few that i don't much care for myself, but don't give up on them without trying "Dimension Hatross" or "Nothingface".
When you say you respect Voivod for bringing "new ideas into the Thrash Music", you become the master of understatement.
I'm courting controversy here, but i'll say it anyway, there are more fresh ideas in Voivod's albums up to and including "Nothingface", than in the rest of the "Thrash" scene combined.
Seriously, you should also hear Thought Industry’s debut album if you haven’t done so. :)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

mega_lodon wrote:
bigfootkit wrote: The thing about Voivod that i always loved is that their sound changed dramatically from one album to the next, and i admit there are a few that i don't much care for myself, but don't give up on them without trying "Dimension Hatross" or "Nothingface".
When you say you respect Voivod for bringing "new ideas into the Thrash Music", you become the master of understatement.
I'm courting controversy here, but i'll say it anyway, there are more fresh ideas in Voivod's albums up to and including "Nothingface", than in the rest of the "Thrash" scene combined.
Seriously, you should also hear Thought Industry’s debut album if you haven’t done so. :)
There's too many vocal effects on that album.

It's annoying.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

'Hate' is much too strong a word in this instance, but Solstice still really haven't clicked with me. The vocals are totally feeble to my ears and their memorable riffs are thin on the ground.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Solstice vocals are very hard to listen to.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Talking about the vocals on New Dark Age right? The other guy on Lamentations has a stronger voice, maybe not so melodic but definitely more metallic (and better as far as I am concerned)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Piotr Sargnagel

On Lamentations he's just out of bloody tune all the time.

Edit: sorry, I should say "out of key"

But I presume this was done on purpose.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

On Solstice's demos LP, there's a third vocalist, which voice is very Ozzy-like, and that sounds awesome (especially on the Lamentations demo tracks).
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Oh, and the master of the "out of key/tone" singing is Quorthon for sure hahaha
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Piotr Sargnagel

Hahahaha yeah!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, the songs sound good to my ears, so I couldn't care less if he is out of tune or not.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Bane

Post by Bane »

Yeah, Lamentations is a fantastic album. I prefer it to all other Solstice material (as amazing as it all is). The vocals are great.