Old bands that have modenized their sound and stayed good?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Nightlock

Old bands that have modenized their sound and stayed good?

Post by Nightlock »

I'm sure we all know examples of this both good and more than not bad :P (being all fans of the olde). List thread is to look upon the bands that have done this successfully/or+and more importantly the ones you think have. Done be afraid of peer pressure list the bands that you think have adapted to the new millennium successfully and continue to produce great music with a mdoern feel.

I'll start with an album I think that has done this well:

Riot - Sons of Society....Great power metal album with tons of classic well written tunes. Probably my favourite DiMeo-Riot album, That being said I do think he is the weakest point. Mark Reale should sing :wink:
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

By "successfully" do you mean sales/popularity wise, or that the music still sounds good to my ears?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Music - successfully from classic to - modernized metal that sounds good.
"On your knees
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, this one's kinda old but i like Judas Priest's "Jugulator". It doesn't sound like Priest at all, more like Pantera, but the tunes are well-written, Ripper sings his ass off and it has passion and aggression that sound quite honest to my ears. "Cathedral Spires" slays, i think it's one of the best they've ever written! The next two albums were not that good imo, though more Priest-sounding.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

ION BRITTON wrote:Well, this one's kinda old but i like Judas Priest's "Jugulator". It doesn't sound like Priest at all, more like Pantera, but the tunes are well-written, Ripper sings his ass off and it has passion and aggression that sound quite honest to my ears. "Cathedral Spires" slays, i think it's one of the best they've ever written! The next two albums were not that good imo, though more Priest-sounding.
Demolition has more Pantera/nu-metal feel than Jugulator(Including the lyrics...). Jugulator is just a good 90s heavy metal album.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Not a big fan at all of the Ripper albums but I will agree Cathedral Spires at least rules one of my only really liked Ripper-Priest songs.

What about old thrash band's new releases? and other Traditional bands like Saxon and Iron Maiden?
"On your knees
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Destruction modernized their sound and they did it quite well. Destruction will rule forever thanks to the immortal pieces of chrushing steel from the 80's. I worship their old material. Their "new" material is good.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Virgin Steele, Saxon, Jag Panzer
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Sentinel wrote:Destruction modernized their sound and they did it quite well. Destruction will rule forever thanks to the immortal pieces of chrushing steel from the 80's. I worship their old material. Their "new" material is good.
Sodom and Megadeth's latest albums are pretty good. Though none of the 'well-known' thrash bands have released mind-blowing albums in the last 15 years.

Vicious Rumors Warball is pretty good too. Their previous attempts at a 'modern' sound had mixed results. It even resulted in nu-metal/groove on Something Burning...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

ION BRITTON wrote:Well, this one's kinda old but i like Judas Priest's "Jugulator". It doesn't sound like Priest at all, more like Pantera, but the tunes are well-written, Ripper sings his ass off and it has passion and aggression that sound quite honest to my ears. "Cathedral Spires" slays, i think it's one of the best they've ever written! The next two albums were not that good imo, though more Priest-sounding.
how about Angel Of Retribution? This one has modernized sound, too. Actually they remind me of BOLT THROWER on this one.
I am ... the One you warned me of
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, when i said the next two sound more like Priest, i didn't mean they sound like "Defenders of the faith" or "Screaming...", just that they are not so heavily influnced by '"modern" metal. I have heard "Angel..." only two times, i didn't like it and i didn't examine it very well, so, yes, maybe they bring Bolt Thrower to your mind, although i don't remember anything like that. "Demolition" was the worst imo, only a couple of tracks were OK, the one was a ballad.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

what makes me think so is actual slowness and sureness on some tracks. Plus accomodation of vocals to distinguished punctuation of syllables. Very "Carl Villets", very "War Master" actually.
I am ... the One you warned me of
hload

Post by hload »

i can think only of rage....rage metal! even without the sexiest drummer of the world...
Bourreau

Post by Bourreau »

I haven't thoroughly investigated it but what I've heard with new agent steel has been really cool stuff.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Agent Steel haven't really changed their sound to more 'modern' but towards more 'thrash' from what I gather.

Jag Panzer is probably my pick here as well, though theirs was a really smooth transition after 'The Fourth Judgement'. Let us not recall 'Dissident Alliance' please.

It's a difficult question.