New Darkthrone?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

For me DARK THRONE were pretty killer around the first album "soulside journey" and "ablaze in the northern sky". Since then they have been very hit and miss.
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

even the cover of that album is different...kinda looks like a toxikholoshit cover or some of those evil "black thrash" bands... the vibratto of nocturno's voice in some songs are cool though :roll:
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I just heard some songs of this crap. All sound so forced that makes me laugh, but at the same time it make same angry due to the big amount of pose and shit DT is filled with these days (something which started actually some yeras ago). This album is the perfect example of the roots DT never has had and now pretend to emulate and even praise...
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I think you're right with the stuff you say, but still I like it better than before. The only crappy thing is that Fenriz and sometimes even Nocturno Culto try to go places where their voices can't go, and it turns out being a little embarassing. And yes, about half of the songs are filler, and the lyrics suck. They seem not to think very highly of their fans, all this "Professor Fenriz" crap sucks. And yet, I like it more than before.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I liked FOAD but it could've been a bit better too. So how's their latest album Dark Thrones and Black Flags?

And about this whole poser hunt.. I think it's a bit ridiculous. For all I know Fenriz has got into good 80s metal (classics and obscure ones) and acts like a kid who has heard WASP for the first time in his life and I just can't judge him for that. Maybe naming cult bands and praising 80s metal in general isn't the most fruitful starting point when making music but I like the new Darkthrone much more than the hordes of retro-thrash bands with zero memorability.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I find those new Darkthrone cd's crap. I'll go for the first 5 and that's it.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Rick

Post by Rick »

These guys used to make fun of Manowar and Heavy Metal in general when they were full of themselves amidst the norwegian kids hype. And now they've always been into Manilla Road? Yeah sure. Fuck 'em as far as I'm concerned.
anthares

Post by anthares »

The Erlking wrote: So how's their latest album Dark Thrones and Black Flags?
I think its one of their best albums!
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

Apart from "Soulside journey", I never managed to get into DARKTHRONE's music during their "pure" black metal period, and now they have evolved to a mix between raspy SLAUGHTER like riffs and harsh punkish beats, I enjoy them better, because musically it speaks more to me. So I don't care about the debate "sold out/trend" and I just follow what my guts say to me. "Dark thrones and black flags" sounds good to my ears, plus it has a quite personnal sound and feel to it. So no complain from my side.

FUCK THE PANDA YEARS, HAIL THEIR NEW ERA! :D
"Alcohol is the cause and the solution to all our problems" Homer J. Simpson

BANG YOUR FUCKING SKULL!!!
http://www.myspace.com/resistance667
jared

Post by jared »

Rick wrote:These guys used to make fun of Manowar and Heavy Metal in general when they were full of themselves amidst the norwegian kids hype. And now they've always been into Manilla Road? Yeah sure. Fuck 'em as far as I'm concerned.
quoted for fucking truth. fenriz poses hard as hell nowadays.

they should have stuck with where they were going on "hate them" and "sardonic wrath"
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Uh, there's a lyrical reference to Manilla Road on the Total Death album. They're by no means posers. Fenriz has always been very well connected to various scenes.
jared

Post by jared »

half of the lyrics on "total death" were written by guests, and none of them were composed by fenriz
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Yeah, and you think Garm listened to Manilla Road while Fenriz didn't? The only person in that scene who doesn't seem to have had a deep history in metal is Varg. Most of the other guys were just regular old metalheads in the 80s.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

Dodens Grav wrote:Uh, there's a lyrical reference to Manilla Road on the Total Death album. They're by no means posers. Fenriz has always been very well connected to various scenes.
quoted for truth. I don't always agree with his moves (interview choices, which bands to push, general media behaviour), but he is by no means a poser [fuck that word by the way]. see him at concerts, he supports local bands - it's more like the media and the easily impressed [foreigners] that seem to want to make him some glamour bitch.

the more interesting thing is the question why ye olde trve metale cliques don't like him. I heard he had some bad things to say about Heavy Metal in the 90s and I'd be interested what he actually said back then! anyone? links? scans?
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Nathaniel wrote:Apart from "Soulside journey", I never managed to get into DARKTHRONE's music during their "pure" black metal period, and now they have evolved to a mix between raspy SLAUGHTER like riffs and harsh punkish beats, I enjoy them better, because musically it speaks more to me. So I don't care about the debate "sold out/trend" and I just follow what my guts say to me. "Dark thrones and black flags" sounds good to my ears, plus it has a quite personnal sound and feel to it. So no complain from my side.

FUCK THE PANDA YEARS, HAIL THEIR NEW ERA! :D
Same here. Darkthrone for me= Soulside Journey + the last 3 albums, all of them are masterpieces in my opinion.
WWW.ISRAHELLBANGER.COM

DTP002: BESTIAL DEATH (ISR) - Suicide of the Immortal OUT IN JANUARY!