Vinyl grading

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
dford

Vinyl grading

Post by dford »

http://cgi.ebay.com/SWEDISH-METAL-PRIVA ... 2a013f1c86[/quote#ht_570wt_1167
This inspired me to come up with this topic, I hate when records are graded wrong, bent corners, seam splits etc do not count as excellent. What are your feelings on the subject?. Any stories of receiving records not as described, I'm sure there are quite a few. I'll let someone else vent before I start. You CD nerds can also comment if you like :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I think we've all gotten records that were not in the advertised condition; always a bummer

This is one reason I'm not a big fan of grading scales; so few people use them correctly that it's almost worthless. Also, the way Goldmine defines some categories, lots of different damage could make a record fall in a certain grade. Some forms of damage bother me a lot, some don't. Thus, 'VG++' doesn't tell me WHY it is graded that way. I prefer a detailed description of whatever damage there is. Less confusing/ambiguous for all involved.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
humus

Post by humus »

When I sell something on ebay I describe the condition, I don't use grading. Avoids a lot of problems, and I've never had any complaints from buyers about the condition of what they bought.
Gradings are good to have a general idea, but if I buy something and it's say more than 10 euro, I always specifically ask about the condition.
dford

Post by dford »

Never been a fan of the Goldmine scale, to broad a scale. When I sell myself I usually use a detailed description as well as the usual VG or EX,people seem to need the vg or mint in there.
The worst records I have ever received are from an ebay seller by the name of davesmetal( he has since changed id's a few times since). I ordered While Heaven Wept Ch 1 and New Electric Warriors, both described as mint( the WHW was stated as unplayed). Well , when I opened the package i kind of went bug eyed at the site of the New Electric warriors, it appeared that the art work on the cover has peeled off and was drawn back on in marker. The WHW was destroyed. I'm used to taking out my vinyl of the sleeve on the right hand side. This particular copy you take the lp out of the sleeve from north, south, east or west, I don't know how the sleeve managed to stay together! He later claimed the comp was in mint condition when it left and as for the WHW, he claimed Tom Phillips personally gave him the copy and was offended that I didn't like it! I could give a fuck if the Queen herself personally gave him a copy, it was DESTROYED.
Just thought I'd tell a few tales, my wife is sick of hearing out them :D
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

dford wrote:Never been a fan of the Goldmine scale, to broad a scale. When I sell myself I usually use a detailed description as well as the usual VG or EX,people seem to need the vg or mint in there.
The worst records I have ever received are from an ebay seller by the name of davesmetal( he has since changed id's a few times since). I ordered While Heaven Wept Ch 1 and New Electric Warriors, both described as mint( the WHW was stated as unplayed). Well , when I opened the package i kind of went bug eyed at the site of the New Electric warriors, it appeared that the art work on the cover has peeled off and was drawn back on in marker. The WHW was destroyed. I'm used to taking out my vinyl of the sleeve on the right hand side. This particular copy you take the lp out of the sleeve from north, south, east or west, I don't know how the sleeve managed to stay together! He later claimed the comp was in mint condition when it left and as for the WHW, he claimed Tom Phillips personally gave him the copy and was offended that I didn't like it! I could give a fuck if the Queen herself personally gave him a copy, it was DESTROYED.
Just thought I'd tell a few tales, my wife is sick of hearing out them :D
DavesMetal is a scumbag, one of the worst. Would only touch him with a spiked club.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

so i started this rant with that piece of swedish sweet cheese ? haha

well i just bought from that seller an expensive Sabbrabells second Lp copy, i hope it comes as in such great conditions as he described it :?
dford

Post by dford »

I'm sure he will repair it to EX- condition before the mails it off to you :D
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

dford wrote:I'm sure he will repair it to EX- condition before the mails it off to you :D
:cry:
Noisenik

Re: Vinyl grading

Post by Noisenik »

ha! I knew, we had this already.

I was brooding upon grading systems lately, esp. in terms The Corroseum had acquired some renown, I think we should design "our" own grading system. Breadth of grades themselves wouldn't matter that much if they would embrace exactly what is allowed by certain grade and what is not, thus it is open whether system has "excellent" included or not.

I guess we all know what mint/ss and mint- 1- means, but when it comes to excellent+, excellent and excellent-, things get pretty foggy instantly, not to mention what happens further down.

I know you have myriads of opinions, so out with them, release them all. thank you.
I am ... the One you warned me of
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Grading records is very subjective and therefore complicated. A grading + good description would be the best
Long Live The Loud !!!
Manillaungol

Post by Manillaungol »

The Sentinel wrote:Grading records is very subjective and therefore complicated. A grading + good description would be the best
This is why I avoid selling a lot of records, too many scammers saying your grade is "wrong" when in reality it isn't just to get a discount.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

I just use discogs grading scale. Simples with no excessive +/- crap. Also I never use 'mint', most brand new items have a minor flaw or two that I could nitpick on it's easier just to pretend that mint records don't exist.