"Metal Massacre" appreciation thread

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

"Metal Massacre" appreciation thread

Post by DaN »

We really need to dissect this the most important of all Metal compilation series. I'm having a Metal Massacre orgie tonight and it struck me like a sledgehammer how really fucking brutal and cutting-edge these albums were. Even if we ignore all the early contributions by legends like WARLORD (Mrs. Victoria = their best song ever), VOIVOD, CIRITH UNGOL, SACRED BLADE, SLAYER, OMEN, HELLHAMMER etc, there's still plenty of phenomenal underground stuff to blow your minds.

Which one is your favourite release? Fave early version of a classic band? Fave 'unreleased' band? Where can we find more material by bands like SURGICAL STEEL, FINAL WARNING, SEXIST, MARAUDER etc?
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I only have volume 6 :oops: I must complete them GRRR. Well, they're not rare. I ask them all for Christmas :lol:
Long Live The Loud !!!
Keir

Post by Keir »

Nice. I'm a huge fan of the series. My favorite is definitely Volume 7; almost every track is a killer. I'd say my favorite unreleased band would be LOST HORIZON, but SEXIST is right up there. SURGICAL STEEL has a website where you can download some stuff. I'll have more to say later, but I have to go now. I'd just like to mention that the original Volume 9 LP is worth tracking down, because the CD split of 8/9 is missing some good songs.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Well, I thought for sure someone else would have responded to this by now. :? I made a CD last year of every Metal Massacre track so I could play them on random. It was all I listened to for about a month. Here are a few more of my favorite exclusives from the series:

Metal Massacre II:
3RD STAGE ALERT – Mind Invader
OBSESSION – Shadows of Steel
SAVAGE GRACE – Scepters of Deceit (first half anyway, then he tries to sing too high)
ALOHA – Heavy Metal Virgin

Metal Massacre III:
BLACK WIDOW – Blitzkrieg

Metal Massacre IV:
AUGUST REDMOON – Fear No Evil
MEDIEVAL – Medieval

Metal Massacre V:
OMEN – Torture Me
OVERKILL – Death Rider
FINAL WARNING - The Warrior

Metal Massacre VI:
MAYHEM – Tear Down the Walls
PATHFINDER – Fountain Keeper

Metal Massacre VII:
HERETIC – Impulse

Metal Massacre VIII:
OVERLORDE – Keeper of the Flame
GARGOYLE – Into the Darkness

Metal Massacre IX:
THE WRATH – Midnight Madman
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'm embarrased to say I still miss many of the later volumes, but that's about to change very soon.

I've become obsessed by that awesome 3RD STAGE ALERT track on MM II! I've never bothered to checked out their MLP though, since I always thought it was some commercial crap. Does it live up to the promises of "Mind Invader"?
peterott

Post by peterott »

DaN wrote:I'm embarrased to say I still miss many of the later volumes, but that's about to change very soon.

I've become obsessed by that awesome 3RD STAGE ALERT track on MM II! I've never bothered to checked out their MLP though, since I always thought it was some commercial crap. Does it live up to the promises of "Mind Invader"?

Dan, be sure, the later releases were average. Just some few stand-out tracks on each sampler like a Slaughter/Strappado one (on 9 or 10 if I remember correctly).

My favourites are V and VI with the Destructor/Voivod/Omen/Possessed/Hirax tracks. The Hellhammer tck in not interesting as it was taken directly from the Satanic Rites demo, incl. the non-existant bass sound. I am lacking I and II and everything after X though.
Ernstv

Post by Ernstv »

The Toxik track Wasteland is AWESOME!!! I'm not sure on which sampler it is located. One day I need to collect those, indeed.
Keir

Post by Keir »

DaN wrote:I've become obsessed by that awesome 3RD STAGE ALERT track on MM II! I've never bothered to checked out their MLP though, since I always thought it was some commercial crap. Does it live up to the promises of "Mind Invader"?
I've only heard one track from it and based on that I'd have to say no. It's still good though and one of these days I'm going to buy the thing (not like it's expensive or anything).
Ernstv wrote:The Toxik track Wasteland is AWESOME!!! I'm not sure on which sampler it is located. One day I need to collect those, indeed.
That's on Volume IX. I should have put that on my list of exclusives, but I was thinking it was on their first LP.

I have both versions of I, II through IX, and XII. I'm missing X and XI. Was never sure if they were worth getting or not (XII certainly isn't!)
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I have only the 5 or the 6 part of the MM compilation it was free with a magazine it contains some cool track like Martyr,Possessed
acid

Post by acid »

Keir wrote:
DaN wrote:I've become obsessed by that awesome 3RD STAGE ALERT track on MM II! I've never bothered to checked out their MLP though, since I always thought it was some commercial crap. Does it live up to the promises of "Mind Invader"?
I've only heard one track from it and based on that I'd have to say no. It's still good though and one of these days I'm going to buy the thing (not like it's expensive or anything).
I LOVE that 3rd stage alert song, but this is really a stand-out song. The MLP is avarage to boring, except for "Mind Invader". It's produced by Malmsteen by the way.

Anyway, I think part 5 is my favorite with Omen, Final Warning, Future Tense, Fates Warning... but actually I do love the first 7 ones (those are the only I have) all to the max!
EzyMeat

Re: "Metal Massacre" appreciation thread

Post by EzyMeat »

DaN wrote: Which one is your favourite release? Fave early version of a classic band? Fave 'unreleased' band? Where can we find more material by bands like SURGICAL STEEL, FINAL WARNING, SEXIST, MARAUDER etc?
What's the story behind those unreleased bands, a lot of them were better than the known bands?
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

MMV is so godly. whats the deal with that omen track? was anything else recorded during that session?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

[bumpin' this important thread and locking the other one]
msp wrote:whats the view with this series? Volume V looks quite good. Any ones to avoid like the plague?
Crows In Black wrote:
msp wrote:whats the view with this series? Volume V looks quite good. Any ones to avoid like the plague?
id like to know too, a store near me has 2 thru i think 8 on vinyl, i dont know anything about them though
doomedplanet wrote:with the exception of the cd only volumes from the 90's I think ALL Metal Massacres are excellent and I will never sell them. Vol 6 is my favorite though.
The Sentinel wrote:Check this link:

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/view ... l+massacre

I was always a bit behind with the MM series but I've almost got them all (80's)

They're all worth getting, my favorites are 4, 6 and 8
Helm

Post by Helm »

WARLORD (Mrs. Victoria = their best song ever)
BLACK MASS!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Helm wrote:BLACK MASS!
...Satan's Feast!!"
Yes! Grrrreat EXORCIST-track, but hardly on topic :lol:

It seems vol 6, 7 & 8 won't turn up at all over here nowdays.. :(