Record collecting world switching from vinyl to CD?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Without a doubt the format is making a comeback, LP sales are booming while CD sales dwindle in comparison to recent years. Dunno why, I blame the hipsters thinking vinyl is cool and retro. 8)

I'm glad labels are releasing LPs again, but if they're just going to slap a CD-R master to wax without optimizing it for the format (which is all too often the case), then why bother? Then you end up with the worst limitations of both. Some labels do a very good job but many do not (Blood Harvest I'm looking at you :P ).
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

one way is to be indiscriminate. HRR has put out some real clunkers, can you say 'Phoenix Rising"? Luckily for example I knew already this band sucks since I heard their mini-lp, so I was able to stay away from this record.
Shadow Kingdom wrote:I'm trying, but I'll never catch up to HHR. He's doing a hellava job getting all that wax out, I don't know how he does it.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

doomedplanet wrote:one way is to be indiscriminate. HRR has put out some real clunkers, can you say 'Phoenix Rising"? Luckily for example I knew already this band sucks since I heard their mini-lp, so I was able to stay away from this record.
I, on the other hand, was not so fortunate! :lol: I liked 1 track off the old EP ('phoenix rising') so I thought I'd give the HRR release a chance. Sometimes I guess wrong :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
dford

Post by dford »

Alot of those releases you have to be a die hard fan that's for sure.
dford

Post by dford »

MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Shadow Kingdom wrote: I'm trying, but I'll never catch up to HHR. He's doing a hellava job getting all that wax out, I don't know how he does it.
i dont know it either, but my band and me thank him for that :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:Hmmm, I think the forum goes back and forth a bit, depending on who is actively posting. Threads run for awhile, then go dormant, then get bumped up again months later.
This pretty much sums up my opinion on this.

Regarding the sales of CD's on sites like ebay, if you look closely, for example, depending on the time of the year, rare original CD's will pop up more frequently and sell for higher prices which brings a lot of attention to the format and in return sparks more discussion. I'm sure it's the same with vinyl, but granted that I haven't actively collected the format for quite a while now I've definitely lost track.

The Corroseum was obviously founded on vinyl collecting, but with a larger member base that also brings some of the younger crowd that's more internet savvy, it’s inevitable that the forum will turn more diverse and won’t focus particularity on one single format.

Either way, I still don’t know of any other forums that focus specifically on this type of music and have more vinyl discussion then here.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Keir

Post by Keir »

Another reason could be that vinyl collectors are getting older, and with more responsibilities are either leaving the hobby, or just have less time to spend on forums when there are 3 little kids running around driving you crazy... uh, well that's my excuse anyway.
humus

Post by humus »

Keir wrote:Another reason could be that vinyl collectors are getting older, and with more responsibilities are either leaving the hobby, or just have less time to spend on forums when there are 3 little kids running around driving you crazy... uh, well that's my excuse anyway.
Rubber sucks vinyl rules!

:wink:
tomas

Post by tomas »

I guess it's the same like with all things in history: it goes back and forth. Maybe on this forum, CD collectors seem to be the majority, but in another 6 months, it will probably have turned again. I'm not interested in CDs, so I don't follow any of those discussions.
But does it slay witches?
Reapersgrave

Post by Reapersgrave »

I'm not entirely sure which trends or direction has turned in metal collecting from recent years but can only account my own experience or assumptions.

For my assumptions I'm guessing it's the accessibility of CD. New record player will cost at cheapest $50USD with the average store (at least locally) sells them $75US and up depending on model and quality. After poor luck with 4 record players, getting first two for free, and spending $20 and $25 each on other models..I had NO luck and caved in to buy new model for $90USD which has lasted very well and burned my wax grooves thousands of times in the past year, but I digress.

CD's are common on all modern stereos and generally given their nature are usually cheap. Lately it's changed with the limited CD pressings of 90's DM/BM with units of only 1000 made, even for what's considered 'classic' albums, also the early CD's produced in the 80's when the format was in infancy has grew as well in popularity. I've heard these older and original pressings are always high quality, and also hear that some regarded classics cd-only releases started to pop up in the very late 80's/early 90's when vinyl as a mainstream format began to disappear due to the compact and accessibility of tapes in the mainstream along with CD's rising in popularity due to technological advances, and the format of vinyl began to fall in popularity.

During the 90's vinyl seemed to hit an all time low point from what I've observed as many bands released CD format and tape format exclusively with vinyl being pressed for rare and limited runs. Most mainstream bands hardly did vinyl, or the vinyl versions were pressed in significantly less numbers than the early albums in the 80's so that any vinyl versions at this point are nearly impossible to find. The price of vinyl i assume has also gone way up since the 80's and now costs 2-3 times as much to press in comparison to CD or tapes, so it's also guessed that during the 90's and early 00's when the format was at its low, less bands, especially in the underground looked to doing vinyl.

Now we reach the late 00's and beginning of the 10's and vinyl has begun to resurface as a format. These days it's seen as more a collectors thing, but I'm glad to say I'm one of the new generation who buy vinyl exclusively as listening format. My stereo aside from turntable is all equipment from mid to late 80's that I inherited from the older generations, and my car is not equipped with CD player so the format is less interesting to me.

I got into vinyl the same time I got into more punk related bands. I've listened to metal for years, but only in the last year and a half have I gotten more into the punk scene. A lot of bands in punk release splits or ep's on 7'' vinyl format, or LP-only albums so it seemed logical to invest in a working turntable and buy more from this format because a majority of releases I was getting into had no alternatives. It spilled over to metal, which i was buying mostly tapes because of my car lacking a CD player making the tape format more preferred because I could play them during my job as a pizza driver. This still is the reason as I have no CD player, and at home why bother with the inferior of plastics and instead play mostly vinyl. Due to this I spend more for the format, but this I do not mind because I like the sounds and quality, and the larger arts/lyric sheets.

I personally love the format of vinyl over cd any day, and I've seen a rise in its popularity among both metal heads and general music fans, so i guess one can hope this trend will continue to preserve it. There are CD collectors, and while I'm not as fond of this type of collecting, i guess to each their own.

Anyway, this is my 2 cents, apologize for the long texts. :)
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Have you guys ever thought about splitting Metal Conquest subforum into CD and Vinyl subforums? Or at least some of the topics? Insane CD auctions and insane Vinyl auctions for example. This way people only interested in one of those formats could find information much more easily and read only stuff that they are interested in. And you can always read both. Just a thought.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

pan_Heathen wrote:Have you guys ever thought about splitting Metal Conquest subforum into CD and Vinyl subforums? Or at least some of the topics? Insane CD auctions and insane Vinyl auctions for example. This way people only interested in one of those formats could find information much more easily and read only stuff that they are interested in. And you can always read both. Just a thought.
CD and vinyl subforums feels like a big NO at the moment, but splitting some threads wasn't a too bad idea. I'll look into it..
msp

Post by msp »

Perhaps there is more discussion about CDs due to previous "unknowns" & rare items coming to light? There must be loads of early- mid 90's prog/power/thrash/whatever Cds that nobody knows about

Rare records were/are covered on metapage.de & metal treasures in the past & present, I don't recall seeing the same kind of resource for CDs (apart from Metal Treasures now).
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
deathster

Post by deathster »

I am black death lunatic when it comes to metal (ok, I enjoy heavy and doom metal also): tapes, LPs, EPs, Cds... every format accepted but only few bands.