Welsh NWOBHM

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
boris

Post by boris »

There's a lot of Welsh language bands, most pretty much unknown. Besides Y Diawled there's Ceffyl Pren, Maffia Mr. Huws (later just Maffia), Trydan, Crator, Crys, Omega, Rhiannon Tomos (vocalist on Y Diawled's Noson Y Blaidd), Rohan, Dorcas, Derec Brown, Louis A'r Rocyrs, Trobwll, Wenfflam, Y Newyddion ...

Many were on the lighter side of the NWOBHM, many were just crappy, but there were some good tunes here and there.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Boris wrote:Rhiannon Tomos (vocalist on Y Diawled's Noson Y Blaidd)
She made a solo release? What's it like?
boris

Post by boris »

DaN wrote:
I only have one Rhiannon Tomos track on some Welsh compilation (the one with the barn on the cover), I think it's from her album. Need to give it a spin, but I think it was something between hard rock and this boogie kind of stuff.
Derrick Metaliszta

Post by Derrick Metaliszta »

Boris wrote:There's a lot of Welsh language bands, most pretty much unknown. Besides Y Diawled there's Ceffyl Pren, Maffia Mr. Huws (later just Maffia), Trydan, Crator, Crys, Omega, Rhiannon Tomos (vocalist on Y Diawled's Noson Y Blaidd), Rohan, Dorcas, Derec Brown, Louis A'r Rocyrs, Trobwll, Wenfflam, Y Newyddion ....
Well I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to check those bands out! :D Any possibility of uploading the best of the bunch for the Poisonoise section? Cheers!
Melalui lorong hidupku, akan ku teruskan...
Pelayaran ini sehingga hujungnya!
Keir

Post by Keir »

Boris wrote:
DaN wrote:
I only have one Rhiannon Tomos track on some Welsh compilation (the one with the barn on the cover), I think it's from her album. Need to give it a spin, but I think it was something between hard rock and this boogie kind of stuff.
That pretty much describes the LP, though I really enjoy some of the more melodic moments. Also, there is one out-and-out metal track which I uploaded in the Poisonoise section. I think you'll really like that one Dan.

Boris, can you tell me the name of that track? I know she has one exclusive track on the Barod am Roc compilation. I'd love to know if there are others.
boris

Post by boris »

The song is "Rosaline. Cer a Hi", and I think it's played live as all the songs on that LP. It's the one with this barn on the cover, "Gorau Sgrech".
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Persian Risk - Riding High/Hurt You is one of the best 7" IMO, certainly one of my favourites.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Nicko McBuff wrote:Persian Risk - Riding High/Hurt You is one of the best 7" IMO, certainly one of my favourites.
Aye, it soars. Such a shame Carl Sentance ended up in Krokus belting out works of genius like "Suck My Guitar".
Keir

Post by Keir »

Crimson Angel wrote:
Korgüll wrote:Greatest Welsh band ever was/is BUDGIE!!!
You're fucking right! :D
Budgie is awesome, but even though they emulated the NWOBHM style in the early 80s they debuted back in 1971 so they can't really be called NWOBHM (not that that's going to stop me from buying their records!) As for your statement, there are Welsh bands whose music I like better but they just didn't have the longevity that Budgie has so I'll have to agree with you.
Boris wrote:The song is "Rosaline. Cer a Hi", and I think it's played live as all the songs on that LP. It's the one with this barn on the cover, "Gorau Sgrech".
That's actually 2 songs. Interestingly, one of my least favorites and one of my favorites from the LP. Thanks for the info. I just ordered that one, so I hope they are all live tracks like you said! It also has my favorite Crys songs on it, "Rhyfelwr".
Nicko McBuff wrote:Persian Risk - Riding High/Hurt You is one of the best 7" IMO, certainly one of my favourites.
It is excellent indeed.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Boris wrote:Omega
I got that Gorau Sgrech LP and I really like Omega's song "Nansi". Do you know anything else about them?
boris

Post by boris »

Keir wrote:
I got that Gorau Sgrech LP and I really like Omega's song "Nansi". Do you know anything else about them?
There's an 1983 LP on Sain, and Nansi was also a 7'' on Sain from 1981.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Boris wrote:
Keir wrote:
There's an 1983 LP on Sain, and Nansi was also a 7'' on Sain from 1981.
@ Boris: you've got pm
Long Live The Loud !!!