HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Keir

Post by Keir »

DaN wrote:This thread really begs the inevitable question of Who's Got The Biggest One On The Forum? doesn't it?
Reminds me of a question posed in an interview on the Hard & Heavy Thrash Metal video: "So who has got the biggest dick in Candlemass?"
peterott

Post by peterott »

DaN wrote: Lennart "Phantom" Larsson was another insane Swedish collector who started tapetrading in the early 80's and also had Sweden's first Heavy Metal Fanzine, Heavy Metal Massacre. Most of those obscure, Swedish Metal demo-rips circulating stems from his MASSIVE demo collection. Think I'll need to make a house call down in Dals Långed sometime soon.
Wasn't he the guy that sold quiet a huge bunch of demos recently ?
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

DaN wrote:I think (Janne) Stark mentioned on a Swedish forum that he had around 20 000 records in his collecton. A fair amount being vile, Swedish aor I guess :lol: but still, I'd love to go through his Swedish Metal collection some day.

Lennart "Phantom" Larsson was another insane Swedish collector who started tapetrading in the early 80's and also had Sweden's first Heavy Metal Fanzine, Heavy Metal Massacre. Most of those obscure, Swedish Metal demo-rips circulating stems from his MASSIVE demo collection. Think I'll need to make a house call down in Dals Långed sometime soon..

This thread really begs the inevitable question of Who's Got The Biggest One On The Forum? doesn't it?
I'm pretty sure a lot of Janne's collection is 70s stuff. I've been in contact with him quite a bit and he had always heard ALL the obscure 70s stuff I enquired about. Well, there's bound to be a lot of late 70s "hard rock" that's bloody awful in there...

I actually remember Lennart Larsson's name from the 80s. Was he ever involved in any post order service or something? Maybe I've actually seen his fanzine, but I can't clearly recollect seeing it back then.

As to who's got the biggest one on the forum, well...
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
leifkr

Post by leifkr »

great_knuthulhu wrote: I actually remember Lennart Larsson's name from the 80s. Was he ever involved in any post order service or something? Maybe I've actually seen his fanzine, but I can't clearly recollect seeing it back then.
Knut, Lennart Larsson used to review the thrash metal-stuff in Street Fighter (old Norwegian zine), calling himself Lennart "Phantom" Larsson. Must be the same guy.
GJ

Post by GJ »

leifkr wrote:
great_knuthulhu wrote: I actually remember Lennart Larsson's name from the 80s. Was he ever involved in any post order service or something? Maybe I've actually seen his fanzine, but I can't clearly recollect seeing it back then.
Knut, Lennart Larsson used to review the thrash metal-stuff in Street Fighter (old Norwegian zine), calling himself Lennart "Phantom" Larsson. Must be the same guy.
He also contributed quite a bit to the danish zine Hot Rockin'.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

[Split the thread, starting with the part about the world's largest collection being sold again. See Land Of Mystery./Admin]
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

doomedplanet wrote:Andi Preisig is the biggest collector of 'extreme' metal I know. "Extreme poser metal" that is because I don't know anyone else that must have every glam metal album out there. Actually I don't know anyone else that collects it, but there must be some others...
There are a lot of "Extreme poser metal" collectors here in USA. I know several from Heavy Harmonies forum with 20,000+ , one of which is living here in California just over the hills from me.

Anyhow, for me personally, for the past 9 years since I've moved to USA I probably got 10,000+ items moving through my hands (common stuff mostly, with some exceptions), but always limited myself to keeping 1000-2000 due to storage space. One day when I settle down permanently someplace and can dedicate a room, I'll probably expand. But for now limiting is the only option for me.
Stark

My collection

Post by Stark »

Missed this thread until now :-)

My collection is around 13 000 in total (CDs and vinyls). I'm not really a "collector" in the sense that I need to have EVERYTHING with a certain band. I only buy the stuff I actually like. There may of course be a lot of Swedish stuff I have bought because of the books (I'm not really a black/death metal fan).
Musically it contains most genres represented between AOR and death metal, from the 70s to current.
I also have around 2000 demo/live cassettes, quite a lot of original stuff, too. I've started tranfer a lot of it to CD-R, but it's the time issue that's my problem.
Lennart and I used to trade a lot in the 80's-90's (which is how I started writing for Backstage in 1990) and we're still in touch.
Any questions? Just ask!
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
DaN
Administructor

Re: My collection

Post by DaN »

Stark wrote:I also have around 2000 demo/live cassettes, quite a lot of original stuff, too. I've started tranfer a lot of it to CD-R, but it's the time issue that's my problem.
Lennart and I used to trade a lot in the 80's-90's (which is how I started writing for Backstage in 1990) and we're still in touch.
Any questions? Just ask!
What's your stance on perhaps ripping some yet unheard Swedish demos/vinyls and sharing them here? I'm particularly interested in that WITCHCRAFT (pre-NEMESIS) 5-song demo from '82. I only have 2+1/2 songs that you sent to Tomas(Witchfinder) ages ago.
(a bit off-topic but this is IMPORTANT shit for sure :twisted: )
Stark

Demos

Post by Stark »

Well, as there's quite a bit of stuff to go through and my time is (as you know) quite limited... it will take some time. I already have stuff I've promised to fix but haven't had the time to do, as I guess you also know, but, have patience, the day will come ;-)
The Witchcraft demo is actually on my to do list :-)
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
christiandiaz

Post by christiandiaz »

Well.Let's get this straight.In my opinion to be a Collector(a real one)you need money,in some cases a lot.And when comes a family and you came from South America like me it's impossible(I have 1 kid and wife and the job don't pay enough).Also you must have knowledge in World Heavy Metal(Demos,LP's,MLP),the age enough.So my friend I must give a Great Thanksgiving to let me discover Great Gems in this Amazing Community.See ya.
Oblivion Knight

Post by Oblivion Knight »

cool thread
for me all my respect goes to people who spend ages looking through old stuff just to find one good unknown release or to the people who managed through trading to collect unreleased demos, albums etc that I wouldnt have known about otherwise
i cant understand the 'i have that/do you have this' brigade..its not a competition its about music
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I was going through this thread once again, and it makes me wonder, is there a picture (well, pictures :) ) of Andi's or Jim's collection available somewhere?
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

I was going through this thread once again, and it makes me wonder, is there a picture (well, pictures Smile ) of Andi's or Jim's collection available somewhere?
No chance, it does not fit in any pic. It is a house full, 4 floors plus roof and other spaces. But well sorted so not stock all over the floors but in each floor special collections like CDs or Lps or 7"'s haha...Come here and we visit him and you check all. Especially you as CD collector WILL DIE :-) The CD number is 6 digit :-)
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Fils Du Metal wrote:
I was going through this thread once again, and it makes me wonder, is there a picture (well, pictures Smile ) of Andi's or Jim's collection available somewhere?
No chance, it does not fit in any pic. It is a house full, 4 floors plus roof and other spaces. But well sorted so not stock all over the floors but in each floor special collections like CDs or Lps or 7"'s haha...Come here and we visit him and you check all. Especially you as CD collector WILL DIE :-) The CD number is 6 digit :-)
:shock:

Well, maybe, someday :D In which part of Germany do you live? I visit Germany at least twice a year for festivals :)