Rare 80's early 90's metal from ....africa :)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
commando lightning

Rare 80's early 90's metal from ....africa :)

Post by commando lightning »

just thougth about a great idea for a theard

Does anybody have info on metal scene's and rare albums that came out of africa ?

i only know a band called lithuem who were active in the mid 90's , so its intresting if there were more , + they were white guys(From south africa i think) , i'm intrested about the local people's intrest in metal , There must have been some bands , who at least released demo's

anyone can shade any light on this?
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Odyssey & Black Rose
commando lightning

isn't black rose king daimond's band ?

can't find any info on the net , who are they ? what they released
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Black Rose - Live by It 1984 LP Music Team
Rolf Prommel - Vocals, Synthesizer
Carl Appels - Guitars
Ian Simpson - Drums
Mark Proctor - Bass
commando lightning

nice !
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

I can only think about a few south african bands the rest I dunno, perhaps countries like Egypt, Morrocco or Algeria have cool bands, mainly because the last two had more contact with europe due to being former colonies and egypt is more cosmopolite. I'll look out. it's interesting I don't have a single band from there.
Keep politics OUT of this forum
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

VOICE OF DESTRUCTION from South Africa ... I have never heard them, though ...
peterott

Post by peterott »

sovdat wrote:VOICE OF DESTRUCTION from South Africa ... I have never heard them, though ...
the south African Iron Maiden fans with some Thrash influences. Of course way off par with Maiden, but there are some great songs on their releases. And some sub-par ones. But the good ones have some nice hooklines and riffs. (If I had A Soul, Funeral, Needledive, ...)
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

URBAN ASSAULT - Crossover from South-Afrika
GJ

Post by GJ »

glockose wrote:Black Rose - Live by It 1984 LP Music Team
Rolf Prommel - Vocals, Synthesizer
Carl Appels - Guitars
Ian Simpson - Drums
Mark Proctor - Bass
I've got a finnish pressing of this on Poko Records. Does any of you Finns around here have any information on this Finnish/South African deal? I would be interesting to hear if there were any controversy as it wasn't very politically correct in the mid-eighties to deal with stuff from down there.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I only know about bands from South Africa...
Odyssey is well known and released a Heavy Metal LP. So is also Black Rose who released a NWOBHM LP, which was also released in Finland. The Blast also released something on vinyl, I think.
I listened only to the album and the MCD of VOD, which wasn`t my cup of tea at all. But I would be very interested in those demos, which are said to be a mix of HC and Thrash Metal.
There is also a compilation CD called "The Death Of Africa" from 93, which contained 4 Death Metal bands from SA.
I got some info on the SA scene from back then from a SA guy, but unfortunately I can`t remember those bands anymore...
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Not really Metal, but on this page you can find info about African 70's Psych LP's, and buy the reissues if you want.

http://www.psychedelic-music.com
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

The VOD demos were nothing special in my opinion, just some Crossover stuff (which is not my style at all).
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

now as Destrozer mentions the 70`s, I think to remember that there was also a band that played some Hard Rock or Doom songs in the late 70`s, mostly covers by Black Sabbath. I think their name was Suck and that they released an album back then...
commando lightning

yeah there are bands in morrocow and some arab countries ,though
what really intrest me is like to find such a band from places like ethiopia , congo . you know

though i dont really think there were any bands in eygpt or morrocow in the 80's ... seems unreasonable , Even todays metal fans there can go to jail

i know of a case , some eygptian guy went to jail for listening to metal