Yugo Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Favourite Yugoslavian Band

Gordi
4%
Divlje Jagode
6%
Sarcasm
21%
Demoniac
No votes
Heller
17%
Annathema
8%
Crna Udovica
4%
Evil Blood
21%
Pergament
15%
Pomaranca
2%
Legija
2%

Total votes: 48

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I had a hell of a time choosing between PERGAMENT and HELLER in that poll. The Heller lp beats the Pergament silly of course, but those Pergament demos are simply some of the finest Classic Metal I've heard from the ol' eastern block so they got my vote.

BOMBARDER deserves an honorable mention for being so messed up and totally off the good/bad scale. Otherwise I'm not that blown away by the exYugo-scene. Looking forward to hear that CroMetal-comp when I get back home tho.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I had an interesting conversation with 2 slovenian guys yesterday, while sitting outside the stadium where IRON MAIDEN were playing (just couldn't afford tickets this time). Apparently they had a bunch of tapes at home of totally unknown 80's bands from their area. Gave them my e-mail address and begged them to do some ripping/uploading, if only to preserve the music for future generations. Fingers crossed.

And tonight I HAVE TO remember to download this comp!
roihlem wrote:I made a little compilation with old mostly unknown Croatian bands...

http://rapidshare.com/files/126102370/CROMETAL.rar.html

1. Jersey (HM from 86)
2. Atlantida (the best HM imo, from 94)
3. Rosa Nera (HM from late 80s/ early 90s)
4. Dr Steel (HM from 86)
5. Valter (HR from their 88` LP)
6. Zippo (HR/ AOR from 89, by far their best track)
7. Overload (HM from 89)
8. Sumrak Ideja (HM from 87)
9. 7th Mortuary (Thrash from the mid 80s!!!!!!!!)
10.Blockade Runner (Thrash from 92)
11.Devastation (Thrash/ Speed from 89)
12.Annabel Lee (Black/Thrash from 91)
13.Forces (great Death/Thrash from 93)
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

DaN wrote:I had an interesting conversation with 2 slovenian guys yesterday, while sitting outside the stadium where IRON MAIDEN were playing (just couldn't afford tickets this time). Apparently they had a bunch of tapes at home of totally unknown 80's bands from their area. Gave them my e-mail address and begged them to do some ripping/uploading, if only to preserve the music for future generations. Fingers crossed.
Where did you met the Slovene guys Dan?In Stockholm?
The tapes are 80's recordings from Slovenia or from all Yugoslavia?

You should tell them to lend you the tapes in order to rip them.It would be cool to hear some old forgotten bands though.

Question:Does anyone know some of the title tracks from the compilation Rohlem uploaded?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:I had an interesting conversation with 2 slovenian guys yesterday, while sitting outside the stadium where IRON MAIDEN were playing (just couldn't afford tickets this time). Apparently they had a bunch of tapes at home of totally unknown 80's bands from their area. Gave them my e-mail address and begged them to do some ripping/uploading, if only to preserve the music for future generations. Fingers crossed.
You sure they weren't from Slovakia? IMHO, if they were from here, they boasted a little, if not a lot. As far as I know there weren't much other bands from 80's in our country. If they reffered to rather unserious projects and schoolbands, then maybe ... Did they mention any names? Did they introduce themselves?
I am ... the One you warned me of
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

1. Jersey - Trazim Te
2. Atlantida - Voices From The Past
3. Rosa Nera - Snivanje
4. Dr Steel - Sex & Drugs & Rock`n`Roll
5. Valter - Ne Idi Od Mene
6. Zippo - Crna Zena
7. Overload - Kroz Noc
8. Sumrak Ideja - Dobre Vile
9. 7th Mortuary - Son Of Sodom
10.Blockade Runner - Unending Bloodshed
11.Devastation - Necromancy
12.Annabel Lee - Bez Milosti
13.Forces - Ubijte Boga
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

This was in Stockhom where they were visiting a mutual friend. They were Slovenian and so were the bands mentioned. Forgot both the band names and the names of the guys, but when I namedropped the only 2 Slovenians I could think of at the time (Nenad & Sovdat) at least one of them knew Sovdat a bit.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

ha? Was maybe one of them Boco, he moved to Sweden few years ago for awhile, so it wouldn't be that strange, he alone had about 20 death/grind bands ... more info and pic here: http://ironhell.mostovna.com/ ?

Does maybe someone know anything more about a band from Slovenia, Krsko, from mid 80s, their member/singer? was no-one else than Miran Rudan (nowadays popular pop singer), they were supposed to play metal/hard rock and had a name something like Nuclear ... ?
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Some more obscure 80s' Slovenian metal bands (and metal scene) are presented on this link, under 9. Bands section:
http://www.imageevent.com/m_force/
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

sovdat wrote:ha? Was maybe one of them Boco, ?
hi was in D.T.W.? i loved that band...
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

®O©O wrote:
sovdat wrote:ha? Was maybe one of them Boco, ?
hi was in D.T.W.? i loved that band...
Yeah, that was one of his bands, they were reformed few years ago, but I don't know what's going on with them now.
He also played in a thrash band called Debakel, which would probably be more for your liking, I can upload a demo if you want ...
Now he plays drums in NUCLEAR IMPACT - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =125274857
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

where is Vatreni Poljubac? I love the first album :lol: But for this I voted Heller. The s/t is a classic in my book. Bombarder Bez Milosti is close, it reminds me of the Flames debut.
RNA

Post by RNA »

Actually, guys, the best thing for me from former Yugoslavia was Rapid Force. t's a band of a former Heller guitar player Kosta Bogdanović. They released a demo in 1990 called "To Sky And Back". Fantastic US melodic thrash, something like Forbidden. In 1993 came their first album "Apotheosis Of War" which is the rarest damn vinyl in former Yugoslavia. I talked to the then bass player and he told me it was pressed only in 50 copies, although from another source I found out it was 150... but definitely not mroe than that. The only copy I've ever seen is in my posession. It was being sold by teh Explosive Records guys on ebay for a fixed price of 300 dollars. On this album they strayed away from the original style towards more groovy Pantera sound, but still retaining some of the old school sound. Recently their second album came out. Now they sound like an all-out Pantera copy.
Funny that no one mentioned Anesthesia from Zagreb. Pretty good band that released an album "Eye For An Eye" in 1993 on Croatia Records (former Jugoton). I have the CD version with one song more than the LP, but that song was released on vinyl as a promo 7" single without a cover.
Gordi simply rule! They used to be a sort of progressive-dumb rock in the 70's on their first 3 albums, but "Pakleni trio" and "Kraljica smrti" are damn good album for 1981 and 1982; the first real metal album in the old YU... that is if you omit the lyrics. Zlatko made the worst lyrics ever in YU rock.
As for teh rest of the list, I'd go for Pergament. Actually, "Mr War" EP that you're refering to as promo, is an all out EP that was unfortuantely only released on tape due to sanctions and bad economic situation in Serbia at the time. Originally, it was planned to be released on vinyl and CD as well.
Divlje Jagode had diversity in their music, from hard rock, through heavy metal to American sleaze-glam, but the classic period is the trio of albums with Alen Islamović on vocals: "Motori", "Čarobnjaci" and "Vatra".

You should all hear Bombarder with today's line-up. They've re-arranged all old songs in their repertoire and they sound much, much better.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cheers for all that info, RNA! And welcome to the forum 8)

About RAPID FORCE, I bought the LP years ago from the guy who used to run Explosive Rec. According to him it was pressed in 120 copies. Apparently they sent "Apotheosis.." and the 2nd ANNATHEMA lp to the pressing plant shortly before the civil war and wasn't able to pick them up until years later. Their downpayment only covered about 120 copies each, so that's the amount they got to bring home.

To be honest I was a little disappointed by the music - a tad too many modern influence but not a complete disaster I guess (I don't own it anymore). That demo you mentioned sounds really interesting tho'.
You should all hear Bombarder with today's line-up. They've re-arranged all old songs in their repertoire and they sound much, much better.
Hm.. I could never make up my mind if this band was pure genious or bloody awful, but I don't think I want them to be 'something inbetween'.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I have no idea how the Rapid Force demo sounds like, but "Apotheosis of war" WAS a disaster, the groovy modern style doesn't appeal to me in any case
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:This was in Stockhom where they were visiting a mutual friend. They were Slovenian and so were the bands mentioned. Forgot both the band names and the names of the guys, but when I namedropped the only 2 Slovenians I could think of at the time (Nenad & Sovdat) at least one of them knew Sovdat a bit.
Well, yeah, I'm more or less known only in the "collector's circle" (very "innerish" association), otherwise I operate strictly in underground (6 feet). Boco (of Extreme Smoke fame)would perhaps know me as a shouter of certain band, but I believe he burned too many of his neurons to remember me anymore.
I am ... the One you warned me of