Obscure Czech Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

Metalipeiklo wrote:Funny that "so many" Czech ex-metal musicians seem to be in the alcohol business.
well, the czech republic consumes the most beer per capita out of any country in the world, so i guess its not that far fetched :D

how is voral's beer? as a beer lover (and occasional brewer) and fan of master's hammer i can't help but be curious
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

khiijol wrote:
Metalipeiklo wrote:Funny that "so many" Czech ex-metal musicians seem to be in the alcohol business.
well, the czech republic consumes the most beer per capita out of any country in the world, so i guess its not that far fetched :D

how is voral's beer? as a beer lover (and occasional brewer) and fan of master's hammer i can't help but be curious
Ah, it was brilliant! Great taste, a bit dark and most of all thick. Totally cult. Voral showed me the production process too, my memories are a bit vague but I think the beer included hemp. He actually gave me a DVD disc of his brewery (which was situated in his basement basically). Haven't watched it yet unfortunately! Still a gem in my Master's Hammer collection! :D
Fun records
St. Erben

Re: Obscure Czech Metal

Post by St. Erben »

Metalipeiklo wrote:Anyone heard the bonus tracks which are supposed to be on the CD ed of "Invaze"?
Heard these a couple of months ago, and they were quite a disappointment. Much more conventional, cheap thrash, not anywhere near the unique madness of "Invaze". More like the pre- and post- Assesor bands I guess...
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Metalipeiklo wrote: - Vlasta Voral (MASTER'S HAMMER) has an own little brewery.
Can you give me the name and location of this brewery? 8)

(sorry I have a habit of digging up the old threads from oblivion)
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

DaN wrote:I talked to Ola from I Hate Rec. at the last record fair and he told me they are going to re-release it on CD. Apparently one of the old DRAKAR-members works in a pub in Prague and they've sorted out the detaila via a mutual friend. Or something like that. Great news! I'll ask Ola for more details on the upcoming CANDLEMASS gig in Sthlm. In the meantime I think we should wait with uploading it since EVERYONE needs to buy this CD anyway when it's out.
Any news on this?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

vansinne wrote:
DaN wrote:I talked to Ola from I Hate Rec. at the last record fair and he told me they are going to re-release it on CD. Apparently one of the old DRAKAR-members works in a pub in Prague and they've sorted out the detaila via a mutual friend. Or something like that. Great news! I'll ask Ola for more details on the upcoming CANDLEMASS gig in Sthlm. In the meantime I think we should wait with uploading it since EVERYONE needs to buy this CD anyway when it's out.
Any news on this?
Not much I'm afraid. It seems the main issue is that the band wants to first and foremost re-release the English version while I Hate are mainly interested in doing the Czech version. Stalemate :(
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

DaN wrote:the band wants to first and foremost re-release the English version
Bleh, typical.. Well I hope my friend finds a copy of the czech original as he's in prague for some time..

If DaN shows green light I can upload this gem.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

DaN wrote: Not much I'm afraid. It seems the main issue is that the band wants to first and foremost re-release the English version while I Hate are mainly interested in doing the Czech version. Stalemate :(
I have came across at least two times the Let Draka LP(for 15Euro) but the English version.

If it isn't in Czech i won't buy it.Hope someone rereleases in Cd in Czech with some bonus.How's the second Drakar album?Have anyone heard it?

Drakar rules very weird and original band.

As far as what the favourite bands of Česko are too many too mention.Czech Republic is the definition of the Metal land not only as far as music goes.

Can't wait to go for a 15 day trip to Czech Republic in the end of the year. 8)
ancient tyranny

Post by ancient tyranny »

Fucking Åmål wrote: How's the second Drakar album?Have anyone heard it?
I like that too, it´s a bit more weird and reminds a bit to Root ("The Book" era if I remember correctly). Was released on Cassette only and from what I heard, I Hate Rec. were supposed to rerelease it together with "Let Draka" as a double CD or so.

p.s If you need a dub, let me know, I might have it on CDR here somewhere which would be easier to duplicate 8)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I really don’t understand the negativity towards bands releasing or re-releasing albums originally in their native language in English.

Not that I have anything against other languages, but I really don’t mind actually being able to understand the vocals.

I guess it could be interpreted as a form of selling out, and the translation to English in a lot of cases does not come out fluently, serious or making a lot of sense, but let's face it, English is and only will become more so of the dominate language of the world.

It's the same typical extinction of any dying breed
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Helm

Post by Helm »

Not that I have anything against other languages, but I really don’t mind actually being able to understand the vocals.
In my opinion the best of both worlds is for the lyrics to be translated to english in the booklet, side to side with the original language lyrics. So you can know what the songs are about and also hone your language skills by singing along in their mother-tongue. Heavy Metal and educational at the same time.
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

Avenger wrote:I really don’t understand the negativity towards bands releasing or re-releasing albums originally in their native language in English.
I guess it could be interpreted as a form of selling out, and the translation to English in a lot of cases does not come out fluently, serious or making a lot of sense, but let's face it, English is and only will become more so of the dominate language of the world.
From a global perspective, English seems to be on the decline. Chinese and Spanish will probably be the two main languages in the near future.

Metal will probably remain dominated by English though, but I personally prefer artists singing in whatever language they feel most comfortable in. One good example of a band switching to English and not failing is Kruiz.
Murs

Post by Murs »

crusher ................their cd 'daymares is awesome death metal reminscent of effigy of the forgotten'
DMR

Post by DMR »

DaN wrote:It seems the main issue is that the band wants to first and foremost re-release the English version while I Hate are mainly interested in doing the Czech version. Stalemate :(
Couldn't they do a double disc release, one with English and one with Czech?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DMR wrote:
DaN wrote:It seems the main issue is that the band wants to first and foremost re-release the English version while I Hate are mainly interested in doing the Czech version. Stalemate :(
Couldn't they do a double disc release, one with English and one with Czech?
You'd think so. Not sure if it's a financial issue or if the band just don't want to release the original version. On the other hand, if you only include "Crazy Boy" once (since it's in English anyway) maybe they could squeeze in both versions on one CD? Guess it's an open question untill we hear more from I Hate..

About English versions in general, I'd agree that in many cases it doesn't really matter either way, but in DRAKAR's case it really came out weird. Apparently they didn't even bother to translate many of the lyrics, but instead wrote new, really silly ones. It's a word I usually hate seeing in the same sentence at Metal, but "Flight Of The Dragon" sound downright cheesy and ruins the unique atmosphere and sound of the album.

On a different note, have anyone heard the 1st TUDOR demo? The DLP released by NWN Rec is apparently demo 2 + 3.