SIREN - No Place Like Home ..and similar bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

SIREN - No Place Like Home ..and similar bands

Post by DaN »

[Split from Recommend An Overlooked Classic-thread/Administructor]
tbieri wrote:Not completely overlooked, but by far too many people !
No other Record sounds like this one, even not their second !
Finally found a copy last week and My Fuck what an awesome album! Fantastic songwriting and it just keeps on growing with every listening - "Over The Rainbow" = song of the month! I REALLY hope Iordan gets to do that demo re-release in the future.
Last edited by DaN on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:
Finally found a copy last week and My Fuck what an awesome album! Fantastic songwriting and it just keeps on growing with every listening - "Over The Rainbow" = song of the month! I REALLY hope Iordan gets to do that demo re-release in the future.
I bought the Siren LP 7-8 years ago and after numerous listens, honestly i can't say that i have got into it. I don't know what is it that is missing/bothers me, was it the vocals, the lack of aggression, i don't know. I just can't find a great track on it, most of them were good or so-so. Maybe i am missing something or not seeing the obvious. Where exactly lies the greatness of this album?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

"Over The Rainbow" is a fucking monster of an anthem!!!!!!!!!!!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

ION BRITTON wrote:
DaN wrote:
I bought the Siren LP 7-8 years ago and after numerous listens, honestly i can't say that i have got into it. I don't know what is it that is missing/bothers me, was it the vocals, the lack of aggression, i don't know. I just can't find a great track on it, most of them were good or so-so. Maybe i am missing something or not seeing the obvious. Where exactly lies the greatness of this album?
I bought this pretty recently and haven't really gotten into it yet. However, it sounds to me like it is a grower. There are some really fine time changes that I like and the band's overall delivery is very good. Also, the songs are fairly memorable, so this will be a keeper for me. Not sure if it's a "classic" but it is certainly good.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

ION BRITTON wrote: I bought the Siren LP 7-8 years ago and after numerous listens, honestly i can't say that i have got into it. I don't know what is it that is missing/bothers me, was it the vocals, the lack of aggression, i don't know. I just can't find a great track on it, most of them were good or so-so. Maybe i am missing something or not seeing the obvious. Where exactly lies the greatness of this album?
What can i say ! Great Songs, great melodic guitars, great singer !

But the thing that makes it really outstanding to me is the phrase rythm !
Doug Lee creates with his unusual phrase rythms a sort of an additional layer of melody !
Is this comprehensible ? Or does this sound like bullshit ?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

tbieri wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote: I bought the Siren LP 7-8 years ago and after numerous listens, honestly i can't say that i have got into it. I don't know what is it that is missing/bothers me, was it the vocals, the lack of aggression, i don't know. I just can't find a great track on it, most of them were good or so-so. Maybe i am missing something or not seeing the obvious. Where exactly lies the greatness of this album?
What can i say ! Great Songs, great melodic guitars, great singer !

But the thing that makes it really outstanding to me is the phrase rythm !
Doug Lee creates with his unusual phrase rythms a sort of an additional layer of melody !
Is this comprehensible ? Or does this sound like bullshit ?
I think i understand, but i really can't get into that type of vocals. I put "Over the rainbow" again this evening hoping that things will change, however i am back to where i began: it's good, but not THAT good.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

Well, speaking the truth, this is a "hate it or love it" album, but also a grower as said before. I think this is the most suitable word, yes unique sound and weird, melodic vocals. Doug Lee's voice has great agility that's a fact, and combined with his skill to present it's melodic side, makes him sound too"rockish"for some ears.Personally, I like it a lot, but I can understand someone who says the opposite, since it's quite different from any other Siren work. The demo version of some tracks of this record is quite better, and more"primitive" I can say..
Last edited by BlackStele on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

DaN wrote:
Great album.

I wish that someone would release this damn album on CD so that I could put it beside Financial Suicide in my collection.

A CD of all the demo material sounds awesome as well.

This was a pretty unique band.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Can't leave this important issue alone..

I think this album defines a certain strain of Heavy Metal I worship unreservedly, when the focus is on unique, genious songwriting and vocal melodies that just pierce your skull and stays there for days & days. Subtle originality that doesn't try to be overly clever or "tech" (sorry Helm)

I think I've finally found an American "sibling" to those hard-to-define German Metal Masters TEMPEST (Need to update that review with a small reference soon.) SECRECY's immortal "Like Burning One's Boats" demo surely belong in this non-genre also. What else? Hit me!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

DaN wrote:when the focus is on unique, genius songwriting and vocal melodies that just pierce your skull and stays there for days & days. Subtle originality
The album cover says it all!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Helm

Post by Helm »

DaN wrote:(sorry Helm)
For what? I agree completely. It takes all kinds. Reservation and subtlety is not something a lot of HM tries, so it's pretty special when it's attempted succesfuly such as here. I believe that bands like Secrecy or early Mayfair also capture this sort of, slightly haunted but elegiac mood.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

DaN wrote:I think I've finally found an American "sibling" to those hard-to-define German Metal Masters TEMPEST
Indeed, I love Tempest!

Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
Immerstahl

Post by Immerstahl »

I just bought the "No place like home"-LP... I'm looking forward to hear it.

Metal strikes when fire breaks the dawn....
Charge of the night brigade!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

This album really has a "X-factor" that manages to bring tears to my eyes. It IS really a special album. It just has something I rarely find in other records. The song "Terrible Swift Sword" is too good to be true.

Need to think of finding another album that would fit this category.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

DaN wrote: I think I've finally found an American "sibling" to those hard-to-define German Metal Masters TEMPEST (Need to update that review with a small reference soon.) SECRECY's immortal "Like Burning One's Boats" demo surely belong in this non-genre also. What else? Hit me!
TEMPEST are not hard to define but hard to hear since in my opinion they are boring and nothing special and also they don't remind classic mid80's German Metal.I can't still understand what so special about this band?

There are at least zounds of German bands better than them like VECTOM(I know Dan is huge fan of them...) .No worry they didn't went far than that demos and EP.