HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Does anyone know what size is the collection of Neal "Heavy Metal Hunter" Tanaka? The guy who poses on metalucifer album covers :D I've heard some rumored numbers.. Like that he has +10000 LPs but they're just rumors ofcurse.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Astaroth wrote:I fit into this category as well. I cannot understand why someone would have 50,000 records. You'd forget what you own (unless somehow categorized in a db or huge list) and/or you'd never listen to all the records. At the end of the day records are meant to be played not stored on a shelf next to wall of LP's you have to impress people or stroke your ego.
Hell that can happen to even the smallest collection, you won't know its missing until you go to listen to it and you can't find it.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Abyss wrote:
Astaroth wrote:I fit into this category as well. I cannot understand why someone would have 50,000 records. You'd forget what you own (unless somehow categorized in a db or huge list) and/or you'd never listen to all the records. At the end of the day records are meant to be played not stored on a shelf next to wall of LP's you have to impress people or stroke your ego.
Hell that can happen to even the smallest collection, you won't know its missing until you go to listen to it and you can't find it.
Yeah, I had two Venom LPs go 'missing' and I have maybe 500 LPs tops :(
And even w/ my small collection, I keep a spreadsheet documenting my collection. Started it mainly for tape-trading purposes.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

from an interview with Tormentor from Desaster/ Metalucifer:

The Heavy Metal Hunter, Neal Tanaka, could you tell something about him? Only things we know are that he likes to ride on the chariots with a chainsaw and a drill, and that he has huge amounts of those big black disc things.

- On our Japanese gigs in 2003 or 2002 (?!?! fukk I can't remember, haha) he told us that he has over 30.000 vinyl records at home... Or better Gezol told us, because Neal cannot speak English very well. But it was a fukkin' amazing situation to meet him the first time in Osaka... This guy is a real maniac and also had a special appearance on stage. He helped Gezol, because he was attacked by a modern-metal fan... It was good theatre! Haha... This is the Japanese style... Neal went on stage with a chainsaw to show that "non-metal bastard" what real Heavy Metal is! Pure chainsaw metal attack! Haha... That was really cool!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Anyone have an idea what Brian Slagel's collection is like???
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Keir

Post by Keir »

Korgüll wrote:Anyone have an idea what Brian Slagel's collection is like???
This is what he told Martin Popoff in an interview (in the Heavy Metal Record Price Guide):

"I grew up being a huge collector of music. I collect bootlegs and everything on earth. I'd kept all my records, which makes moving a really fun chore (laughs). I have between 5000 and 6000 pieces of vinyl, and I just moved which is fun, but I have a storage room for it. And I think with respect to CDs, there's about 7000 or 8000. And like I said, I have every NWOBHM single that ever existed. I also have a fairly large collection of bootleg audio tapes and old bootleg CDs. Probably the biggest band I collect is Iron Maiden; I try to get as much of their stuff as I can, especially the pre-"Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" stuff. I'm not really into their newer stuff. But if there's a different cover, or different b-side, or a different version, I try to pick it up. Same thing with AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Queensryche. I don't really look for specific countries of release, unless their is a different version involved. I'm usually in Europe every summer so I go through the stores looking for stuff (laughs)."
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Yeah, I have that book & have read that, but the interview was in 1999-2000.

It's funny b'cos I met Brian in 2006 in France but I didn't even talk to him about his collection or the good ole days of metal??? Don't ask me why? I just didn't :cry:
Keir

Post by Keir »

Korgüll wrote:Yeah, I have that book & have read that, but the interview was in 1999-2000.
You mean I typed all that for nothing? :P

Yeah, I'm sure his collection has grown a bit since then. That's cool that you got to meet him too.
msp

Post by msp »

Reading through this thread makes me think of some of the guys I used to tape trade with.

I used to think my list of about 600 demos/lives/rehearsals was not bad but some of the people I encountered just blew this out of the water.

There was one guy from NY who just had this phenomenal list, at least x10 mine. He seemed to have pretty much every US and Euro Death metal demo ever recorded from around 1986-1993 and loads more besides. I reckon his house or flat looked like a TDK factory. God knows how many LP's/CD's and 7" he had as well. He had to have been at it 24-7!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

msp wrote:There was one guy from NY who just had this phenomenal list, at least x10 mine. He seemed to have pretty much every US and Euro Death metal demo ever recorded from around 1986-1993 and loads more besides. I reckon his house or flat looked like a TDK factory. God knows how many LP's/CD's and 7" he had as well. He had to have been at it 24-7!!
Is he still around, and does he still have the collection? Do you know?
msp

Post by msp »

Korgüll wrote:
msp wrote:There was one guy from NY who just had this phenomenal list, at least x10 mine. He seemed to have pretty much every US and Euro Death metal demo ever recorded from around 1986-1993 and loads more besides. I reckon his house or flat looked like a TDK factory. God knows how many LP's/CD's and 7" he had as well. He had to have been at it 24-7!!
Is he still around, and does he still have the collection? Do you know?
This was back in 2000 or 2001 I first made contact with him. I got a few trades out of him as I had some more recent black metal demos that he did not have. I stopped tape trading in late 2003 due to lack of time and death of the tape deck. I think he was still active at that point, no idea if that is the case now.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

are you referring to Jay Robohn? If so he is still around.
msp wrote:Reading through this thread makes me think of some of the guys I used to tape trade with.

I used to think my list of about 600 demos/lives/rehearsals was not bad but some of the people I encountered just blew this out of the water.

There was one guy from NY who just had this phenomenal list, at least x10 mine. He seemed to have pretty much every US and Euro Death metal demo ever recorded from around 1986-1993 and loads more besides. I reckon his house or flat looked like a TDK factory. God knows how many LP's/CD's and 7" he had as well. He had to have been at it 24-7!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

What about Duane (deathfiend666) from Nunslaughter (& a million other bands)
I would assume he has a big (demo) collection...?
And Killjoy too??
Anyone know?
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

Korgüll wrote:What about Duane (deathfiend666) from Nunslaughter (& a million other bands)
I would assume he has a big (demo) collection...?
And Killjoy too??
Anyone know?
Duane is crazy. He has most of the original Terror demos, and an archive of original live/rehearsal/unreleased tapes from almost all Ohio DM bands, no matter how obscure (Lord Asmodeus and a million others etc).

I dont know about Killjoy...I emailed him about the ARCH RIVAL tape but he never got back to me. Id KILL for a copy of that (Id really like to hear it but I highly doubt anyone has it...I heard it was like Necrophagia if they played thrash mixed with doom that sounded almost Sabbath-like at times). Im dying to hear it...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I think (Janne) Stark mentioned on a Swedish forum that he had around 20 000 records in his collecton. A fair amount being vile, Swedish aor I guess :lol: but still, I'd love to go through his Swedish Metal collection some day.

Lennart "Phantom" Larsson was another insane Swedish collector who started tapetrading in the early 80's and also had Sweden's first Heavy Metal Fanzine, Heavy Metal Massacre. Most of those obscure, Swedish Metal demo-rips circulating stems from his MASSIVE demo collection. Think I'll need to make a house call down in Dals Långed sometime soon..

This thread really begs the inevitable question of Who's Got The Biggest One On The Forum? doesn't it?