HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
doomedplanet

Re: HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Post by doomedplanet »

Kyr, do you know why Manos is selling his collection?
MassOfKthulu wrote:
Here in Greece lots of guys started selling their collections..
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I need to make some comments here but a little too busy and tired, will have to later.
I don't think there are many huge metal collections in the US (especially vinyl) unless you include guys that collect extreme black metal stuff, then who knows?

Andi Preisig is the biggest collector of 'extreme' metal I know. "Extreme poser metal" that is because I don't know anyone else that must have every glam metal album out there. Actually I don't know anyone else that collects it, but there must be some others...

My collection over the years could easily have been much much larger. But I try not to collect records I don't like. And I know Andi for example must have tons of stuff he does not care much about because he has many many records he has never listened to. This must be the way with a lot of "completists". I on the other hand have listened to all the records I own except the 2 lps that came in the mail today...
Helm

Post by Helm »

Both the numbers of the collections in this thred and the assorted collector mindset leave me at awe!
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

doomedplanet wrote:I on the other hand have listened to all the records I own except the 2 lps that came in the mail today...
Fuck - that is refreshing to hear!!

I have a buddy that lives a few streets away who is I guess a 'Collector'. 5500+ LPs (similar numbers for EPs and Demos combined...no CDs) & I'm not convinced that he listens to more than 20% of it! For example, I sold him an entire crate of stuff recently (approx. 80/100 LPs)...they're nearly all still sitting in that same crate, untouched, yet every weekend he hits all the stores and keeps digging.

As a humble music fan it appears more an obsession than an enjoyment thing in many of these cases.
stepping on toes since 1978
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

decibelrebel wrote:I have a buddy that lives a few streets away who is I guess a 'Collector'. 5500+ LPs (similar numbers for EPs and Demos combined...no CDs) & I'm not convinced that he listens to more than 20% of it! For example, I sold him an entire crate of stuff recently (approx. 80/100 LPs)...they're nearly all still sitting in that same crate, untouched, yet every weekend he hits all the stores and keeps digging.
ha! I was just thinking about that same person. When I went to his house he had all kinds of stuff 'lying' around collecting dust!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

Rob,Manos told me he needed the money and that's all there is to it i think,he lost interest in collecting many years ago.
I am not sure how many good collections are left in Greece,im sure no doubt Elias H. still has the best one though.
I personally own not more than 600 LPs,200 CDs and 15 original tapes,but its all stuff i love,rarities or not.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Nightlock wrote:@John - You mentioned having 50's and 60's rock collections and I've also noticed on ebay you selling stuff like AOR and Dwarf records :P how big are these collections compared to the metal stuff you have?

And also I read you writting somewhere that you may not for "20 monsters every year anymore but still find at least 5" which ones have you found this year?
I dont have a personal collection really. When I decided to become a dealer I stopped collecting (althought the midgets, freaks are mine)

Over the last 22 years I purchased and sold very large collections of just about every style of music. 50's,60's, 70's.. LP,45,78,Tapes

Rock, blues, soul, jazz, country, folk, metal, punk, AOR....

Purchased, private collections, Radio stations, old stores, Juke Box dealers, Distos.. anything even spent a year and a half diggin through a dumpster 3 times a week.

Right now I am working on buying 5000 surf/garage 45's and about 4000 LP's
Keir

Post by Keir »

Fascinating thread. I'd love to have a bigger collection (duh) but I don't think I'd ever want to reach 5 digits. That would just be overwhelming. Right now my collection is like nightsblood's. Around 1-2000 pieces, but maybe twice that if I kept everything. I have to keep getting rid of stuff to make room for more. Of course, time and money are also factors but space is the biggest one for me. My wife would kill me if I had boxes full of 10,000+ records sitting around the house. :wink:
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

doomedplanet wrote:My collection over the years could easily have been much much larger. But I try not to collect records I don't like. And I know Andi for example must have tons of stuff he does not care much about because he has many many records he has never listened to. This must be the way with a lot of "completists". I on the other hand have listened to all the records I own except the 2 lps that came in the mail today...
same here... I listen to every single thing I get (including mp3's) and I only keep 'em if I like 'em (I do keep some 'bad' mp3s since I have plenty of hard drive space for now).
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
tomas

Post by tomas »

@glockose:
Did you discover/find any gems while digging through the dumpster?
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

I supported myself though collage that way.

It was a WEA distro. all promos of the NEW releases of the day 86-88

all the Metallica 12"'s including green vinyl
stand-ups posters promo items....

It was GREAT!!

I would pick up 50-150 records every time.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

sovdat wrote: However when it comes to Slovenian collectors, I doubt that there are many metalheads with at even 1000 albums, actually I even don't know anyone, perhaps Noisenik knows more here?
Reportedly there was one guy who reached no. 2500 according to Mota - only 80's and late 70's stuff and only vinyls. He stopped collecting, but he decided not to sell anything. He resides near Maribor. At present we who are trying to collect sth here in Slovenia could be counted manually - ten fingers would more than suffice. I personally am accumulating stuff rather than collecting it and anyhow I wouldn't have enough time to listen to all that. Plenty of trouble already :? .
I am ... the One you warned me of
deathster

Post by deathster »

I have to admit that I HAVE some stuff that I do not enjoy 100%: Satans Massacre 1986 original demo for instance. Although I like deathnoise (and thats why I do not part with the tape), this is too amateurish. Also Mutilator "Immortal Force" LP suxx badly, nothing compared with the almighty demos + live tapes with old singer.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I bought a few records from a guy a about a month ago - he supposedly had one of the largest collections in Sweden with well over 10000 records, both vinyl and CD, mostly rock and progg (not to be confused with prog). Now he's selling everything.

According to him, his love of music faded once he reached about 5000 albums, and he was simply motivated by his urge to collect everything.
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

doomedplanet wrote:My collection over the years could easily have been much much larger. But I try not to collect records I don't like. And I know Andi for example must have tons of stuff he does not care much about because he has many many records he has never listened to. This must be the way with a lot of "completists". I on the other hand have listened to all the records I own except the 2 lps that came in the mail today...
I fit into this category as well. I cannot understand why someone would have 50,000 records. You'd forget what you own (unless somehow categorized in a db or huge list) and/or you'd never listen to all the records. At the end of the day records are meant to be played not stored on a shelf next to wall of LP's you have to impress people or stroke your ego.